Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, Wednesday at 1pm x

Still swaddling at 6mo - how to stop?

(5 Posts)
SnowHOHOboarder Mon 31-Dec-12 23:30:14

My DS is 6mo and I've had problems getting him to sleep anywhere but on me. Now, thanks to Ewan the Dream Sheep and swaddling I have managed to get him into a sidecar cot for at least part of the night so at last I am getting a few hours decent sleep between feeds.

I have tried him without the swaddle a few times and its been a disaster - he almost always wakes after a few minutes flailing about and won't settle.

Should I be trying to wean him off the swaddle by now and how can I do it without sacrificing those few precious hours sleep I get?

CoolaYuleA Tue 01-Jan-13 01:53:25

I never swaddled, but I have always used sleeping bags. They may be a compromise for you as you could start by tucking the bottom under and gradually tuck it more loosely over a few days.

Babies are still cocooned in sleeping bags, can't kick them off, stay warm etc which are also elements of swaddling.

Piemother Tue 01-Jan-13 01:55:35

Sleeping bags worked well when I stopped swaddling dc1. Dc2 is having none of the swaddling little monkey!

Iggly Tue 01-Jan-13 07:16:33

Swaddling this big can be dangerous. Either go cold turkey or reduce it gradually over a week and switch to a sleeping back.

Also can he roll both ways? If so, try him on his tummy. He's old enough now.

When I stopped swaddling dd, I put her in a thin tog gro bag and used the giant muslin I swaddled in to lay across her (under her armpits) and tucked tightly under the mattress. Then I just gradually loosened it.

Or try swaddling from armpits down and then removing it after that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now