Does it get easier?

(6 Posts)
Orenishii Mon 31-Dec-12 18:55:42

My DS is nine weeks old and by far, much easier than I expected. He's started sleeping through the night (7-8 hours), only cries when he needs something and can be sated quickly and easily, and is a lovely sweet tempered little thing.

Having said that - I am exhausted, I think, from being "on" all the time. It's all very go, go, go and even though I am getting sleep, I am never fully relaxed and the feeds or changing or burping or getting off to sleep in the day are every 1.5 - 2 hours. And when he is napping in the day, I find myself worrying about what to do next. I can't believe such a simple cycle of repetitive activities causes me so much concentration and energy.

This sounds like a complaint - it's really not. I think this is very typical of first time parenting It's just...I can't relax, ever. I think about when he's a little bit older - more able to move about, to sit up, grasp toys, play with them etc...does that constant "on" feeling relax a little bit? When did you reach the stage with your baby where you felt you could - not switch off - but turn the energy dial down, a little?

exoticfruits Mon 31-Dec-12 19:09:56

Yes it does get easier! Another 3 weeks and you should see a change.

Congratulations on your LO grin
The answer is yes, it will get easier, but not because it becomes less hard work, just because you will relax into it more and become more comfortable in your day-to-day routine. I remember feeling exactly the same as you - my DD was born earlier this year - and I found the first weeks relentless even though she was also a really easy baby & good sleeper. When you start going out to different groups etc it will break the monotony (for both of you) and build your confidence for getting you both out and about. You are actually in the relatively easy stage where your baby is easy to transport about & doesn't require vast amounts of accompanying accessories (I'm weaning and now carting around loads of stuff!). Don't wish away these precious early weeks when they're so little, it's gone all too fast!
I'd just say be aware of PND and how that can make you feel permanently exhausted.
Have a lovely happy new year with your new baby winegrin

lola88 Mon 31-Dec-12 19:26:11

It does get easier for me it got easier about 8mo when DS started to crawl but DS was a very diff new born from your LO he's never slept a full night and used to cry a lot until he learned to crawl and found his freedom you may find it gets easier quicker since you don't have a horror baby like mine smile

LynetteScavo Mon 31-Dec-12 19:30:24

Yes, I think 9 weeks is the peak week for exhaustion.

I also found the 9 month teething and crawling bit exhausting.

Now my youngest is 7 grin, I can definately turn down the energy dial - but please don't wish it away, I would love a tiny newborn!

tory79 Mon 31-Dec-12 19:49:19

I know exactly what you mean. For me it was when ds was about 3/4 months. Obviously he was still totally dependent on me, not sitting or moving or anything, but he had lost that newborn feel that he had for the first 14 weeks or so, he just didn't feel quite so fragile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now