Advise on toddler sitting/chair

(55 Posts)
MoRaw Mon 31-Dec-12 14:06:07

Hi All

Any advice on what toddler chair to buy for my son to sit in while watching his educational programme on TV? He is 13 months and his bouncer is no longer appropriate as it does not sit him upright enough. Also, normal adult sofa seems inappropriate for his little body.

I want something that will be easy on his bones and will maintain a good posture.

Thanks in advance.

gemlootay Mon 29-Sep-14 19:52:57

Ha!!! Was hoping to get some help about armchairs for my daughter's Christmas present. Good grief ladies - get a grip!! Cherby - if you found any, let me know.

cherby Sat 10-May-14 22:08:23

WOW!! found this looking for chairs. what a bunch of vile old biddies moaning at the poor woman asking about a chair lol, poor kids cant be kids anymore.
We sit on the floor or lay on a blanket when we watch tv. Ive seen some good chairs at kiddicraft with tables as well for crafts etc.
right got to go...tweenies, little robots, baby jake, dr ranj, mister maker oh and mr tumble are on in a bit. lol

cherby Sat 10-May-14 22:08:19

WOW!! found this looking for chairs. what a bunch of vile old biddies moaning at the poor woman asking about a chair lol, poor kids cant be kids anymore.
We sit on the floor or lay on a blanket when we watch tv. Ive seen some good chairs at kiddicraft with tables as well for crafts etc.
right got to go...tweenies, little robots, baby jake, dr ranj, mister maker oh and mr tumble are on in a bit. lol

cherby Sat 10-May-14 22:05:59

slipperyfish Fri 04-Apr-14 16:07:08

Blimey! The poor woman only asked for advice on a chair, and she gets abuse for letting her child watch a bit of TV. Get off your high horses people - I'm sure you're not all perfect!

toomuchtooold Sat 15-Feb-14 07:32:27

Just popping in to say my 21 month old twins watch the TV. I can't see that it does any harm and for me, sick of the sound of my own voice all day, it's cool to have something to talk about with them rather than having to invent stuff to talk about the whole time. Also, one of them does laps round the coffee table in celebration when the Tweenies comes on, so I'm going to assume that's not doing her any harm.

As for the sitting, I'd say at 13 months he's best on the floor or the sofa where he can squirm about and try a variety of postures.

GingerDoodle Fri 14-Feb-14 20:39:41

My DD (17 months) has always sat on the sofa, on the floor with a V cushion, in a bumbo, and now we have just got her a little arm chair (from Amazon). I guess it depends how high your tv is tho lol.

pennyapples Fri 14-Feb-14 18:53:05

Good lord some people are very judgemental! I love the bedtime hour on cbeebies, think those programmed are fabulous, musical, fun, lovely. My now teenage nephews watched that kind of stuff and arejust fine, I remember watch with mother, playschool, playaway, me Ben, bod anyone? Did me no harm. It's all s but hysterical.

MiaowTheCat Thu 13-Feb-14 23:22:50

Give it another couple of months when you're fishing a toddler out from down there back of the sofa and you won't be as worried about perfect seating choice and more vomit, stain and toddler resistance!

ianleeder Thu 13-Feb-14 19:28:47

I'm a bit shocked with some of the answers on here. What's wrong with a bit of tv? I have the tv on and it's my lifesaver! I have 2 kids to look after as well as doing the house chores and working so if 10 mins of tv can make a difference of piece then why not? Back to the op question, sit her on your lap so u can watch together.

NatBryden Thu 13-Feb-14 19:09:01

I have never posted anything before but feel so compelled and disgusted by the views on here that I had to respond. I am not here to comment on the chair nor the watching of TV as I have my own thoughts on both, but where is the support ladies!!! I can not believe that some people have read a piece of research and feel they can judge others based solely on this without a care for individuals circumstances. We are all doing the best we can and to see this complete lack of consideration (whats even worse) the question wasn't even about TV. I suggest you quit projecting your own insecurities and idealistic views when they are neither requested nor helpful, and answer the original question only, or ideally not bother answering at all, you are a disgrace!! MoRaw - I hope you found a great chair that your little one is happy in, I'm off to do more research on this myself as this site has been far from helpful. :0)

rapademic Sun 11-Aug-13 21:36:28

MoRaw - I came to this thread after googling toddler seats and I really feel for you - other people have no right to judge you based on whether you choose to let your toddler watch TV or not. My 13 month old very much enjoys In The Night Garden, especially the musical aspect but also has fun reading books (That's Not My Dragon is a particular favourite smile ). I wanted a chair so that he could get used to the idea of sitting in one, as he hasn't got the hang of sitting on the sofa without trying to launch himself off it! For those debating the evidence over whether under 2's should even be exposed to television at all, it is worth noting that, as with many areas of research, guidelines and evidence for or against a given practice will change on a daily basis, subject to the results of whatever studies are undertaken at that time.
Best of luck finding a nice comfy chair for your LO smile xx

VegasBride Fri 08-Mar-13 21:16:11

Jesus what is the big deal about watching a bit of tv I am a mother of two with a very bright 2 year old who watches tv cbeebies etc a child of the seventies myself i was regularly sitting in front of the tv and now manage to communicate effectively and interact with humans . I think people are very judgemental especially as the question asked was about a suitable chair

Inclusionist Fri 08-Mar-13 20:20:21

Oops zombie

Inclusionist Fri 08-Mar-13 20:19:38

I will ingnore the tv/no tv and just comment on chairs..

DS had a Silvercross Doodle as his highchair. It is now fab as a toddler table and chair and TBH I still use the chair at floor level with the tray attached occasionally when DS is having a snack that might be messy.

They are expensive but I think at 13 months you would still get a tonne of use out of it. DS is massive for 2 1/2 but the chair and table are still just the right size for drawing/ craft/ playdough etc.

Zoelda Fri 08-Mar-13 18:03:21

Sorry I know this is old but HaHAHA)

Are you lot serious?

Ha

My 15 month old watches a bit of tv in the evening with her brother. And......?! Some of you need to chill the fvck out. Stop reading the books and be a bit less judgemental.

Btw I found this looking for threads about beanbag chairs so if anyone has anything sensible to say about them....

BoffinMum Wed 02-Jan-13 09:04:11

I think the point is that some mums are led to believe a lot of paid for courses will result in some sort of educational advantage for their very young children, whereas the reality is that for most children they won't. However when used on a therapeutic capacity for children with additional needs they can be invaluable in levelling the playing field.

Iggly Wed 02-Jan-13 08:58:22

hazey, I suspect it's been misrepresented by use of the word bollocks. I'm sure for speech disorders it's fantastic as it means the child can communicate. Perhaps they meant bollocks in terms of children with no issues helping them talk sooner?

hazeyjane Wed 02-Jan-13 08:55:57

Can someone link me to the thing about baby signing being bollocks, especially wrt RC SALT's opinions, please.

I'm just interested because I am about to be sent on a course in Makaton, in order to help communication with my ds with severe speech disorder.

BoffinMum Wed 02-Jan-13 08:41:33

I never said TV was bad, by the way, I said it was pointless for tinies and book sharing had a substantially stronger effect, along with library visits.

The most recent TV/developmental delay research was done on deprived children in Norfolk, so obviously has limited relevance to people posting here.

BoffinMum Wed 02-Jan-13 08:37:12

If you really want him to do this, I think the healthiest option might be just to let him sit on a rug in front of the TV - that way he'd be building up his back muscles a bit and be be able to find his most comfortable position. Otherwise I suppose a little wooden chair from IKEA might work as well. Alternatively there are unusual chairs that promote good posture from the Back Store - for example inflatable balloon ones with a little back support. That way you'd be teaching good posture habits for the future, and getting him to associate them with TV, which is no bad thing.

choccybiccylover Tue 01-Jan-13 16:23:20

I use the fisher price infant to toddler rocker with mine and they're quite comfy, but saw a lovely toddler chair in ikea yesterday (sorry can't remember it's name),it was about £20 and quite stylish. My dd uses her chair for alsorts-eating, reading and TV.

MoRaw Tue 01-Jan-13 15:05:09

I use these programmes because they work (at least from what I can see). Of course, if they are pointless to you, then you should not allow your child to engage in them.

As for TV and whether it is good or bad; the fact is that there is no consensus. Moreover, the issue is about over exposure and non-parental participation, not about 10 minutes here and 20 minutes there.

As for TV causing kids to shut down, this is a gross misrepresentation of the reason why TV is not recommended for kids.

At the end of the day, we all must do what, in our view, is best for our kids. I am sure all of us are very well aware of the research re. kids watching TV. If my son does not do well in life, I can bet you it will not be because he watched a word programme for 20 minutes on TV here and there. If you did a survey of criminals or of people with mental health issues, I am sure you will find that some watched TV when they were babies and some did not. However, I dare say that exposing a child to reading, identifying words (flashcards or a TV screen), etc will either do some good or have no effect but it won't cause the child to be brain damaged. So what I am saying is that, at best it will help the child at worse, it will have no effect.

Iggly Tue 01-Jan-13 13:48:39

Tv isn't recommended because it causes kids to shut down (hence it being like sleeping) and you passively receive information.

Tv isn't recommended for kids under 2 at all. There's research into it.

If you read to your child why use these programmes? A pointless exercise IMO.

MoRaw Tue 01-Jan-13 13:43:37

By the way, I do not use the TV as a babysitter. I cannot see how it would be possible to do so with my son. Leaving him unattended is out of the question. If I turn my eye for a moment I am sure he would be up to mischief. I do not take chances leaving him unattended.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now