Waitrose automatic doors just closed on toddlers head!

(30 Posts)
leannac Mon 31-Dec-12 12:48:53

She was a few steps ahead of me & I'm 8 months pregnant so not as quick as I used to be. Doors started closing but are automatic sliding doors so presumed they'd sense her & stop but instead they closed on her head really tightly then wouldn't open when I got there so had to wrench the doors open. She seems ok & we are home now but I'm an absolute wreck. I've demanded that the store gets the doors looked in to but not really sure what else should do. If I'd been a few seconds later that door could have really done some damage as wasn't stopping just cos my daughters head was in the way

MrsMushroom Mon 31-Dec-12 21:46:33

Op make sure you quote RunnyHabit's DH as he knows what he's talking about and keep all emails and letters. I am gad you posted this as now I will never let DD go ahead of me towards doors. Thank you for that.x

Pantomimedam Mon 31-Dec-12 22:48:29

I'm glad they are supposed to detect anyone, of any height, and agree you need to email a complaint and find out what the hell they are doing to check all their doors and make sure this doesn't happen again. Not just in this store, either.

Wonder how the myth that the only detect above a certain height got started?

Pantomimedam Mon 31-Dec-12 22:50:14

Oh, and calamity, I'd get your windows checked. They are meant to at least stop - I'm sure I recall a terrible case of a child who was injured because the car windows just kept closing. Obviously extremely rare so don't want to worry anyone.

CoolaYuleA Tue 01-Jan-13 01:27:19

Car windows are definitely meant to stop when they hit an obstacle. Panto you are right, except a child was killed.

CoolaYuleA Tue 01-Jan-13 01:30:35

It does depend on the age of the car though as auto reverse windows and stopping are a fairly new requirement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now