Toddler activities on miserable, rainy, dark days?

(34 Posts)

What do you do with your toddlers on days like today? DD is 2.3 and currently having a nap. It will be nearly dark when she wakes up. We read, draw, paint, watch TV, she plays with her toys a bit but generally seems under occupied. Any ideas for good rainy day activities which take up decent chunks of the day?

Fuzzymum1 Wed 02-Jan-13 09:16:13

Glad the rice was enjoyed,

vladthedisorganised Wed 02-Jan-13 13:20:43

Bread making goes down well - can kill an hour or two with kneading and you can't go too far wrong; it's also quite nice eating the results.
I do a mini science lab when I'm feeling really on top of my game: what happens when you put a drop of lemon juice in bicarbonate of soda (small plastic pot of bicarb and a squeezy lemon gives a safe amount of fizz), making cornflour paste which acts as a solid when you tap it with a teaspoon but can pour as a liquid, and putting a penny in Coke to see what happens). No idea how much of it goes in and you have to supervise to make sure things aren't eaten, but she seems fairly entertained..

ellee Wed 02-Jan-13 22:18:44

Oh oh, I have one!

Bought a big box of extra long and varied pipe cleaners in euroland shop, and my 1yo and 3yo love 'em! Even though I really haven't the faintest idea what we're supposed to be doing with them!

SchnappsDamnYou Fri 04-Jan-13 00:20:56

I was going to say pipe cleaners! I get a colander and ds pokes them in the holes then wears colander as hat.

Also - three blobs of red yellow blue poster paint inside taped up freezer bag. Manipulate with fingers to make interesting swirls and patterns without mess!

And chocolate broken biscuit fridge cake. Smash biscuits in plastic bag, melt choc and butter, mix and put in greased paper lined tin, refridgerate and decorate. Lots of recipes online - google tiffin or broken biscuit cake.

Cover blackboard with chalk and then draw patterns with wet fat blusher or shaving brush.

Cover baking tray with foil and slop blobs of poster paint. Use fingers or cotton buds to draw swirls then lay paper over the paint to get abstract art. When dry, cut paper into letters spelling childs name or use stencils and cut out people, animal, flowers shapes and make collage.

SchnappsDamnYou Fri 04-Jan-13 00:26:36

Also - cut out lots of simple fish shapes on card. Decorate and stick together so fish are colourful both sides. Attach lines and make mobile using wire coat hanger.

SchnappsDamnYou Fri 04-Jan-13 00:29:40

And finally. Buy or make pizza base. Chop up veg and cocktail sausages, shred ham, grate cheese. Cover pizza with passata or tomato pesto and get toddler chefs to arrange toppings. Cook.

elleephant Fri 04-Jan-13 18:25:52

I like it! Fun AND dinner!

Summersbee Fri 04-Jan-13 20:48:26

Instead of endless playdough all French children know about 'Pâte à sel' which is dough made of flour, salt and water which you can mould into all sorts of wonderful shapes and then cook, paint and varnish. One of the first things my daughter made out of it was the number 4 (her age at the time) which she painted and decorated with little 'flowers' - or you could always make an 'Angry Bird'! A Green Mouse has the recipe and instructions in English in its French activity section or look elsewhere online for books and ideas.

nitsaretheworst Mon 21-Apr-14 19:18:05

Dear Breathesslowly,
I know it's been a while since this thread has been active but I am new to mums net and thought it was worth a try. I recently signed up for a subscription on cookstreetuk.webs.com and I love it! We have gotten our first package and my husband and I love the concept. We always have something to do on rainy days now. Definitely give it a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now