how to keep 1 year old entertained on a long journey without using technology!!

(33 Posts)
cloudhands Thu 13-Dec-12 08:44:05

I just thought i would start this thread so anyone interested can share what worked for their kids. I think it's common knowledge that using technology in the under threes is just incredibly bad for their brain development, and my own anxious mummy brain wouldn't allow me to give my 1 year old an ipad even if it's just temporary.

i'd love to have a range of suggestions to choose from when we are travelling at xmas.

for me in car journeys singing worked in the past, when my DD was a bit younger, and a nice baby massage, to relax her when she was in her car seat.

also games that make her laugh, like throwing things on the floor and me getting annoyed.

She loves books so I'm sure a few of them will keep her amused for a little while.

anyone else have some good suggestions?

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 14-Dec-12 23:06:19

Wow, passive aggressive response to my recent thread about iPad apps to use for a most likely 5mins out of an 11 hour plane journey?

Obviously I disagree that occasional use of "technology" rots their brains - my 1yr old occasionally sees tv on when her 4yo brother is watching but just wanders off.

We always do lengthy car journeys at bedtime too so they just sleep but I'm afraid a mother singing to her pfb for 11 hours on a transatlantic flight would drive me mental...

We do all the usual, wrap new toys/pieces of tat/snacks/games etc - the 4yo could quite happily do the whole flight with no technology but it's an overnight do if watching a film or two keeps him quiet for everyone else's comfort, tis no bad thing in my opinion.

So there

hokeycakey Fri 14-Dec-12 23:36:03

Girlwiththemouseyhair you must not have an "anxious mummy brain" and to be honest I think you're better off without it

Don't sweat it and yes it was a bitchy op

mammmamia Sat 15-Dec-12 10:13:09

Do not agree at all with OP re technology as others have said, but try the travel Aquadoodle - good for car journeys.

Thread about a thread?

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sat 15-Dec-12 15:28:06

Faith in MN restoredwink

Hugz'n'kisses BFFs 4eva
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MrsMerryMeeple Sat 15-Dec-12 15:48:05

Have nothing against giving DS the ipad for a few minutes, but don't have any way to attach it in the car, so have so far not given him high tech in the car.

We have a bag or basket full of toys that are safe for him to play with unsupervised, preferably new or have been hidden for a while. He keeps himself entertained for a bit, then if he starts fretting I drop a toy over to him. When he drops that and gets bored, the next one goes over.

Board books that are not so precious it matters if they get chewed on, rattles, plastic containers, duplo or little people figures, things with lids that can be put on or taken off, busy books, fabric toys with fasteners, links, anything from the toybox that fits the above description.

Each time we stop I collect all the toys from the floor/seat and restock the basket.

Snack pots also help. Rice cakes, baby biscuits, corn puffs etc.

The only way I can stand the 6 hour drive down to my mum's is to set off at 6pm with dd in her pyjamas. It is the only way!

ChiefOwl Sat 15-Dec-12 22:20:43

Put the dc in their pj's and set off just before bedtime - its the only way! this is still my preference and my youngest is 5!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now