ipad apps for 1yo?

(51 Posts)
GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 12-Dec-12 21:46:14

had really hoped to avoid ipad usage with DC2 until she's a bit older but have to face facts I live on the other side of the world and have 4 transatlantic trips coming up (3 of which on my own with aforementioned DD and her brother who's 4) and there's only a finite number of times I can read "Peek-a-Who?" to her in 11hours.

So - any ideas for ipad entertainment for a 1yo? (jesus that sounds ridiculous!)

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 13-Dec-12 00:17:51

thanks everyone - really appreciated (thanks also for understanding that in some cases, needs must and if it means peace and quiet for 5mins out of 11hours it will be worth it for everyone on the plane!)

SolomanDaisy Thu 13-Dec-12 07:57:08

Floggingmolly, I don't think anyone suggest they need an iPad. But iPads are just normal stuff to have around the house now, so any one year-old is going to be interested, just like they are in everything else!

reddwarf Thu 13-Dec-12 08:10:37

I was a bit confused at he title, but you're aksing for suggestions for a longhaul flight. totally reasonable. floggingmolly, that was really harsh and judgy. OP is going on a longhaul flight with 2 little children, and will have the ipad with her anyway, why not ask for suggestions for it?

OP, as well as a few cartoons, peppa pig, octonaughts etc, i would put maybe some basic games on, like animal flashcards, my first words, my toy box etc.

And get a headphone splitter! Aside from the ipad, lots of little things, like the macdonalds toys, and sweet/snakck, drawing, books etc etc etc.

I have flown many a time alone with my 4 dc, but never long haul, so I don't envy you, and wish you luck!

Jims Thu 13-Dec-12 08:19:03

I've got a couple of nursery rhyme aps on my phone by duck duck moose which go down well - but are american and not v conventional in their animation! Wheels on the bus is the first i got when my ds was about 1. I also have play and learn animal flashcards. But both are sound based so you'd need headphones on a plane - unless you go with the attitude of better animal noises than a rampaging toddler!

Woodifer Thu 13-Dec-12 10:38:55

i got "i hear ewe" on my iphone - its lots of pictures of animals and when you tap the animal it plays the animal sound (very low tech)

PPL Thu 13-Dec-12 12:23:21

Toca Boca make great apps although they are not free. DS is 18mo and LOVES Toca Band. There is also a toca Robot Lab and a Paint My Wings (butterfly) app. They're great.

He also loves In the night garden app and Ladybird Baby Touch Hide and Seek. And Fisher Price have some freebies. That's all iphone though, I'm sure there are way more for the iPad.

I think you are very sensible planning iPad use for the journey. I think limited use is fine and kids will always be interested in the latest technology. I knew how to use the VHS before most of the kids at school even had one. I think I was 3 or 4. And I was using DOS code on the PC by about 4 or 5 having already mastered the olympic games and some prehistoric paint game. (my dad is techno geek). I am totally fine and have not suffered brain rot.

Good luck for the journey!

BurnThisDiscoDown Thu 13-Dec-12 13:02:16

Fisher price do some nice ones, also a few episodes of ITNG or some animated films. We use an iPhone for DS sometimes on long car journeys now he doesn't sleep all the way!

BurnThisDiscoDown Thu 13-Dec-12 13:02:46

We have a baby proof case as well in case he throws it!

NatashaBee Thu 13-Dec-12 13:09:05

I have one called Phoneyphone which is incredibly irritating but DS loves - makes phone ringing noises and says the numbers out loud when he presses the buttons.

Gigondas Thu 13-Dec-12 13:11:33

Duck duck moose apps are fab - wheels on the bus . Also peekaboo farm, wild and forest are very good - that kept dd1 happy for a few long flights. Just grabbing my phone also provides hours of amusement for dd2 (11 months).

ItsOkayItsJustMyBreath Thu 13-Dec-12 13:14:36

Ds has been using the iPad since he was about 1 and loves the Toca Boca range, particularly the train one. They're not expensive and a life saver on long journeys. I must admit that I was worried about just how much he loved it though so he only plays with it about once every 3/4 months now.

SuiGeneris Thu 13-Dec-12 13:35:37

Second the Duck Duck Moose apps and you could also try Nighty Nighty, which my DS used to love and, when he was smaller, helped getting him to sleep.

In the Night Garden, Peppa Pig and Teletubbies apps are also good for flights, especially if you have headphones.

In terms of strategies, we let DS stay up late, wake him early and then don't let him sleep until the flight. This usually results in a two-hour nap... Then bring books, treat food and lots of patience...

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 13-Dec-12 20:15:44

you are all amazing, thanks so much for all your help!! ANy headphone recommendations, or just use the freebie ones on the plane? SHOuld probably introduce her to the concept of headphones before we fly....

I just took it that FloggingMolly hadn't read the OP, just the title, so no offence at the multi-coloured judgeypants being hoiked excessively in that corner of the room!

PoppyWearer Fri 14-Dec-12 13:51:45

You want JVC noise-limiting headphones for kids. They're fab and you can get them on Amazon in pink or blue (naturally).

reddwarf Fri 14-Dec-12 15:49:59

can't recommend a particular make, but get ones that go over the head and have a noise limit, and you must get a headphone splitter!

Yeah I think the JVC ones were what I got for my three dc PoppyWearer. Nice and robust too!

Misty9 Fri 14-Dec-12 22:36:02

Just to add, musical baby hands is an amazing app - but it isn't quiet! Also peekaboo barn is fun and easy to do (and not that irritating to listen to).
Good luck!

MrsMerryMeeple Sat 15-Dec-12 16:00:11

DS loves Monster Melody Mash. Same company does Little Bellas I close My Eyes.

Sitting here writing this while I download a software update for the ipad. Apparently if you install iOS6 there is a new function that blocks the home button, and stops them exiting the app. This will be a godsend! DS is constantly bashing the screen, exiting the app he's in, losing his video or game and ending up in safari or my email!

MrsMerryMeeple Sat 15-Dec-12 16:04:59
DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Sat 15-Dec-12 18:12:00

How about the bubble wrap popping one?

FeckOffCup Sat 15-Dec-12 18:38:29

We have an android tablet rather than a ipad but you could have a look for any apps made by super simple learning, I don't know if you can get them on itunes but they are a hit with 2 year old DD.

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Sun 16-Dec-12 07:49:15

There are a couple of painting apps which might be suitable because they don't rely on artistic ability. I can't remember whether they are free or 69p though.

Flowpaper - this makes beautiful lines dragging a sort of net behind them rather than just plain lines so making patterns is easy. Patterns depend on how long you keep your finger in contact with the screen and stop developing when you remove your finger.

Line Art - this is good. The screen is filled with lots of little sperm wriggly lines and they react to you touching the screen. No skill or coordination required! Mesmerising.

Meritum Paint - With the right settings, instead of lines you get long flowing paint trails in a different colour each time you touch the screen. You can actually do far more sophisticated proper art stuff with it but I've never ventured into that.

happygilmore Sun 16-Dec-12 11:59:06

Toddler Lock is good.

poppy283 Sun 16-Dec-12 12:03:30

Yes toddler lock is brill and makes nice tinkly noises!

Satine5 Tue 18-Dec-12 12:40:25

Goodnight moon
Little Fox Studio
In the night garden app
It's a small world
Pat the bunny
Goodnight safari
Nighty Night

Some of those are paid, but all excellent-really worth it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now