At what age should I allow my daughter to get her ears pierced?

(34 Posts)
GreeenFingers Tue 04-Dec-12 00:01:14

My daughter is 6 and has been begging me to get her ears pierced for over a year. I think it is a "right of passage" and not to be done on a whim. That said she is a very clever little girl, who knows her own mind. I've told her to wait untill she's 8 and then I'll consider it. Am I being unreasonable?. TBO I'd have them done sooner, but I want her to appreciate the fact they are going to hurt nad may take some time to heal. Your thoughts please.

I was around 8 or 9 when I got mine done. DD1 is almost 4 and is already asking. I have told her she can have them done on her 8th birthday. Not that that makes any sense to her at all.

booklava Tue 04-Dec-12 15:54:28

I always said to my DD1 she had to be 16 but then gave in and she had them done the summer holidays when she was 13 she is now 16 and has 7 piercings in her ears and her belly button possibly a reaction to being made to wait as she has had them all done except the 1st since she left secondary school!

PearlyWhites Tue 04-Dec-12 16:31:48

My eldest two dd were 3 ( both requested it) and my youngest dd will get hers pierced when she is 3 if she wants them done.

cq Tue 04-Dec-12 16:39:40

Holy crap, 3??? Because they requested it?? Like they request chocolate for every meal and a pony for Christmas. Not sure my DD even knew what pierced ears were at 3.

She's getting them pierced for her 12th birthday. And I still feel that's early but running out of ideas for what to get her.

PolterGoose Tue 04-Dec-12 18:46:54

I had my first ear piercings at 7 and then second holes at 11. My mum comes from a culture where ears are pierced at birth so it was never a huge issue in our family.

My only advice is to use a proper piercing salon, not Clare's. The piercing guns can cause serious harm and the studs they use are crap.

Between primary school and secondary school. My DD tried 'begging' but it didn't get her anywhere.

PearlyWhites Tue 04-Dec-12 19:57:15

Earrings are not an expensive gift ie pony or unhealthy ie chocolate and of course I wanted them to have it done I think it looks cute.

ImperialSantaKnickers Tue 04-Dec-12 20:04:03

The summer holidays is the only time off school long enough to get through the settling in stage when the new earrings should not be removed without falling foul of PE teachers.

Children with earrings in primary uniforms in this area tend to get the judgey pants look on the streets.

DowntonSprouts Tue 04-Dec-12 20:12:27

DD is 10 and has been asking for a couple of years. I keep telling her 12 in the hope that she'll forget about it but I imagine sometime in the next 12 months I will cave in. They are not allowed to wear earrings at her current school so we have been able to use that excuse so far.

I'm afraid I think earrings on small children are awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now