worried about my boy being teased because of his name

(17 Posts)
Teensy Fri 23-Nov-12 22:56:12

I am just looking for some reassurance that I am being ridiculous. My partner and I couldnt agree on a name for our second son and we ended up compromising and calling him Will as we both liked it. However, since a random comment was made I am now constantly worried that he may be teased because of it at schoo and be called Willy. Please can someone reassure me who also has a child called Will that I am being silly?

ForkInTheForeheid Fri 23-Nov-12 23:00:05

He will undoubtedly be teased at some point - but that doesn't mean you made a bad choice, it's a lovely name! I have a name you'd never suspect would be a route of any teasing but kids still managed it (and I'm not traumatised by the experience).

QTPie Fri 23-Nov-12 23:05:17

Hi

Oh goodness, don't worry... Doesn't matter what you call your children, someone will still find a way to pull it apart at school...

We called our son Alex (well Alexander) a lovely friend of mine (in his 40s!) said he didn't like the name and that my son would get called "Phalex" at school (Alexs got called that at his, posh, school). Who would have thought that Alex could be made fun of?!

My first name is Lois. Nothing rude was said about that, but I got horrendously teased along the lines of Superman... sad

Undoubtedly some idiots will come up with jokes about your son's name (but they would no matter what), but Will is a beautiful name and it will be fine smile (just make sure he learns to laugh off the idiots, but that is always a very valuable life lesson anyway wink )

I know plenty of Wills who have endured a ribbing for their names, but nothing more than anyone else gets. Kids will make a joke out of anyones name.

Teensy Fri 23-Nov-12 23:08:41

Thanks for that, I know you are right, kids will be teased at some point no matter what. Need to stop worrying about it. Thanks again.

Teensy Fri 23-Nov-12 23:10:51

How ironic qtpie, my older son is also Alex! Never thought we would have a problem with that one!

Teensy Fri 23-Nov-12 23:12:12

How ironic qtpie, my older son is also Alex! Never thought we would have a problem with that one!

edam Fri 23-Nov-12 23:14:54

Will is really popular (for good reason, nice name) so he's unlikely to be the only one in the school. It's not like being called Beauregarde or Walter or something where you are really going to stand out.

QTPie Sat 24-Nov-12 08:23:26

Yes - Alex seems so "safe" - but kids will find a way to tease with any name.

Don't worry - I think that "Will" is a really lovely name. smile (Alex is great too, obviously ;) )

vladimirimp Sun 25-Nov-12 11:54:16

Kids will get teased no matter what. If there's a play on names, then it could be that, but if that doesn't work they'll find something else - and probably much worse to be teased about the way you look, your voice or whatever. I don't think 'Will' is at all bad, and 'Willy' is quite fun even if it happens. It's a very long way from a bad choice and as said above, it's also popular now so he won't be alone. If you're really, really worried, then just find a way to prepare him such as 'if any kids call you Willy, just laugh and say 'yes, it's funny that'' or whatever you think it appropriate. Better than it's 'in' on any joke than isolated by it.

Plus don't forget that with Will, you/he has the option to go with William, Bill, Billy if you/he really wants.

So don't worry!

Teensy Sun 25-Nov-12 21:04:56

Just to say thanks again for all these great messages! I feel so much better having read the posts, and I have stopped worrying! Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

5madthings Sun 25-Nov-12 21:09:28

kids arent always teased, i know a 13yr old boy called Will and its never been an issue for him smile

marriedinwhite Sun 25-Nov-12 21:13:06

Never heard of a Will being teased. My DS is nearly 18. Has too many friends called Will for it to be an issue.

All boys get teased sometimes. When his mates couldn't find another reason to tease they called him "Farmer Boy" - he took a picture in of him on grandad's tractor.

NamingOfParts Sun 25-Nov-12 21:30:58

My DS has an unusual name (about 8 have had that name since we named DS 14 years ago).

He has said that a few people who dont like him have teased him by feminising it. That's it, in 14 years. I was at school with someone called Emanuel, nobody ever made fun of his name.

DFiL made a few daft remarks but he has done that for every name, even the cat's.

Iggly Sun 25-Nov-12 21:33:19

I have a william. I worried about it but thought sod it.

Kids find something to pick on, you can't prevent it.

fatzak Sun 25-Nov-12 21:41:55

We have a William. Yes, he's had the odd "Willy" comment, but no more than DS2 gets called names based around Tom!

olddogs Sun 25-Nov-12 21:43:49

my friend lives in Scotland and they are all Willies up there.

Its not the skit its how you deal with it. teach him....DID YOU MEAN TO BE SO RUDE?wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now