How much should a 3 month old sleep in the day?

(7 Posts)
Sharksandfishes Fri 23-Nov-12 09:35:20

I swear this is not a stealth boast, but DS2 sleeps a LOT. He's pretty good through the night, only waking for 2 BFs between 7pm and 6am, and then he seems to sleep most of the morning except for maybe 2 hours and has 2-3 naps (40 mins) in the afternoon.

Is this normal? I don't remember DS1 sleeping this much during the day, and I know its not a huge problem and writing this will probably jinx it! grin

itsatiggerday Fri 23-Nov-12 19:24:33

Is he gaining weight? I wouldn't panic about the sleep per se but if he's sleepy rather than willing to feed and isn't putting on weight much then I would want to get him checked. Is he alert and playful when he is awake?

I had one v sleepy one (and yes, quickly learned not to talk about it!) who still needs more than average so IME it's not necessarily a problem.

Sharksandfishes Sun 25-Nov-12 20:05:11

Yea, he's gaining weight. I guess I should stop worrying and enjoy it, it will probably end soon!

itsatiggerday Sun 25-Nov-12 21:43:56

smile enjoy!

Loislane78 Mon 26-Nov-12 08:13:48

(Whispers) My LO is the same, although at 14 weeks I've noticed the daytime naps are becoming shorter.

My dd slept pretty much until 5 months with the gaps for awake lengthening slowly all the time. Perfectly alert etc but liked sleeping. At 8 months she still has good naps in the day. In fact I was just debating putting her back down after she just woke up - been sleeping since 7pm. I think my next baby will be a horror to make up for this one! Enjoy! smile

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Mon 26-Nov-12 12:53:42

Sounds normal to me, my lo was the same up until 4 months then became a terrible sleeper. Hopefully the great sleeping will continue for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now