Newborn sleeping

(10 Posts)
chezziejo Fri 23-Nov-12 09:00:10

Hi

I currently have a ds who is 2.5 and now ds 4 days old. By all accounts she sleeps well. Sleeps in the day, feeds around every 3 hours for a good half hour and seems content. At night however she has a similar feeding regime around 3 hours but won't go in cot. She's happy to sleep on my chest, which in not overly comfortable with as im scared il nod off and something happen. Is this common for newborns? I can't remember with ds, as he never slept full stop. Even swaddling dosnt help. She's bf As well.

Just wondered if it was a comfort thing.

TobyLerone Fri 23-Nov-12 09:03:05

She's 4 days old. She doesn't know whether it's day or night and her tummy is the size of a peanut or something.

chezziejo Fri 23-Nov-12 09:23:55

Only asked

TobyLerone Fri 23-Nov-12 09:45:15

You seem to have taken offence. I was just trying to give an explanation for your issue, and let you know it was normal behaviour confused

Congratulations on your new baby.

wifey6 Fri 23-Nov-12 10:34:58

Congratulations OP. My DS (now 2.6) had a large cushion he slept on til we then moved him in to Moses basket once asleep.
It's natural for them to want to sleep on you..feeling your heartbeat & feeling skin on skin. But you also need your rest too.
I used to lay very close to my DS Moses basket so he could still feel me there until he fell asleep.
Hope someone more knowledgable pops along soon.
Enjoy your new arrival. smile

ValiumQueen Fri 23-Nov-12 10:42:16

Pretty normal. Why don't you join us on the november babies thread in post natal? Lots of mums experiencing the same thing. My DS is 4 weeks and we are mostly cosleeping.

chezziejo Fri 23-Nov-12 11:30:42

Thanks everyone :-) tobylerone apologies I have woken up properly now if you can call it that. Think I'm so sleep deprived I don't know if I'm on this earth or fullers confused could murder a toblerone now I've seen your name.
Will have a look for the November thread as well grin

ValiumQueen Fri 23-Nov-12 13:24:30

Sorry I cannot link, but it is called birthplosion, thanks peaky, or sommat like that (tired)

zinaida Sat 24-Nov-12 19:47:04

My baby would only sleep like that for a while, pop her in a stretchy sling, prop yourself on pillows and have a lovely snooze. Congrats!

DS2 is 10 days old & we're having the same issue. He's actually sleeping & feeding remarkably well compared to DS1 but he's really reluctant to sleep in his Moses basket. Tried all the tricks I can think of - line cot with something that smells of me, warm the blankets, hot water bottle to warm the mattress etc. I can sleep quite well propped up on pillows with him lay on me or with him next to me but the mw has put the fear of God in me by practically begging me not to co sleep as he will surely suffocate. Annoying because when we did our antenatal NCT with DS1 we were practically begged TO co sleep!?
We're looking at co sleeper cots now. Good luck with your LO OP & hope you get some sleep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now