Spontaneous play dates!

(8 Posts)
TelephoneTree Thu 22-Nov-12 20:36:15

I would love to just say yes to 'can so and so come after school today'.

BUT

visiting kids don't seem to like my cooking! They do if I do roast chicken and chips or sausage and mash or spag bol or something.

BUT

we also eat other stuff that other kids just don't seem to like. salmon & lentils, bean curry, chorizo risotto, lamb kofte etc etc

So how do you do it without planning? DH is often home for work early enough that we can all eat together at 5:30pm, so any visiting child would just join in on whatever we are having. How would you manage it??

MrsJamin Thu 22-Nov-12 20:37:30

"Yes if you think they would eat X for tea?"

QTPie Thu 22-Nov-12 20:44:23

As above. If they int like it, then yes they can come home, but they have to be picked up before tea?

OR keep fish fingers, oven chips and peas in the freezer for standby and give them o the kids? Not that I like doing special things, but...

Durab Thu 22-Nov-12 21:06:05

IME/IMO last minute playdates are just that - a friend round to play for a couple of hours before tea and then home to have the dinner their own family will have planned. After all, even if you are having salmon and lentils, and the other child does like it, you've probably bought/defrosted enough for your family and the other mum will have done the same.

Being invited for tea is done a few days in advance here, there's no assumption that coming round to play includes a meal.

TelephoneTree Thu 22-Nov-12 21:47:45

Thank you everyone and Durab - you bring up a good point - i generally do only have enough for our family.

is it ok then to say yes but no tea tonight but we could do tea another night or is that anal??

MrsJamin Fri 23-Nov-12 06:04:53

Yeah I think that's fine, I wouldn't think it odd. I prefer a playdate without tea really.

Durab Fri 23-Nov-12 08:02:34

Yes, no problem to say yes, we've got plans for dinner, but you're welcome to come to play until xxx time

TelephoneTree Fri 23-Nov-12 14:12:04

Thank you that's v helpful!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now