"Hello, fat tum lady"

(3 Posts)

Said by 4 yo DD to random (large) woman today. I was absolutely horrified. Any suggestions on how I deal with this please? She is presumably old enough to learn better. She has occasionally told random bystanders that they are stinky or naughty (and been told off, obviously) but I feel the thorny issue of weight/societal expectations/self esteem etc is going to be harder to explain. Today I told her she was NOT to say mean things to people. Struggling a bit with how to handle it. Thanks.

ZuleikaD Thu 22-Nov-12 05:32:25

Just tell her that it's not polite to talk to people about their appearance (or smell) unless you know them quite well. She may also have been confused by being told she was being 'mean' as she was probably just calling it like she saw it.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Thu 22-Nov-12 18:12:07

I agree. DS is 2.9 and understands that he is not to pass remarks on peoples' appearance (after an incident on a quiet bus when he came out with 'look at that woman, Mammy, she is really FAT' shock).

I can tell when he desperately wants to say something about someone - he gets all fidgety and wants to be picked up. But I just tell him we'll discuss it later. Which we never do as he's always forgotten by the time we get home!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now