I've become a shouty mum!

(11 Posts)
DxbtoLHR Wed 21-Nov-12 13:13:24

Hi all,

First time I'm posting on here, and I guess I'm just looking for a bit of support.

A bit of info: I'm mum to DD, aged 2 and DS, aged 11 months. After having lived abroad for some time, we'll be heading back to the UK by the end of this month and for the last 3 months the husband and I have just been planning and shopping and planning and shopping because we're going to be shipping all of our stuff over (furniture, kids stuff, clothes etc.)

And I think I'm just sick of it all, and that all this preparation is really getting to me, and that I've become this horrible shouty mum, who snaps at her kids so easily. I think in my head, I'm just constantly thinking about what needs to be done for the move, and that I need to do the kids stuff (feed them, put them to sleep, at the right time) and get the cooking and cleaning done.( And top that all with mandatory sleep deprivation of course.)

I feel really bad about shouting afterwards, but then later on in the day I'll have snapped about something else. I think I need a way to keep calm and stay calm. And I desperately need some me time.

I'm not sure what I'm even asking for or why I'm even typing this, just to get a load off of my mind I think.

Thanks

doyouwantfrieswiththat Wed 21-Nov-12 13:17:04

Welcome to the shouty mum club, it's one more thing for us to beat ourselves up aboutsmile

I'd like to think I'm not ready for the Jeremy Kyle show yet but am occasionally afraid that baring my soul on mumsnet could be the start of a slippery slope.....not really

DxbtoLHR Wed 21-Nov-12 20:18:35

Thanks for the welcome, although it's a club I'd rather not be a member of!

I reckon sometimes randomly blurting out how you feel on the internet could help with dealing with this kind of stuff... or not! hmm

Snog Wed 21-Nov-12 20:22:24

Frankly there is nothing worse for a child than a perfect parent.
I console myself with this thought!

Viviennemary Wed 21-Nov-12 20:25:18

I'm certainly a fully paid up member of the shouty mum club. If anybody finds the way to calmness and perfection in motherhood I hope they will pass it on. -+

PoppyWearer Wed 21-Nov-12 20:28:01

My DC1 started school in September and talking to other mums in the playground, many of us have now become shouty mums, due to the pressure of getting to school on time five days a week!

You are not alone...welcome to the club.

Eglantyne Wed 21-Nov-12 20:29:36

Me too...sigh.

LynetteScavo Wed 21-Nov-12 20:32:38

Before having DC I would have been shock if anyone ever told me I would shout at my DC.

Now, every morning as we get ready to leave the house I do an impression of a sergeant major.

I became really shouted with 3 small DC, and a house move. I told all the DC when we moved into our new house it was a no shouting house, and nobody at all was to shout in it. Obviously they didn't respect that. grin

louisianablue2000 Wed 21-Nov-12 20:33:32

You've just got babies, all Mums become shouty Mums at some point. It's just a matter of balance, if you are shouty in the morning going to school but balance it with a nice activity after school it's fine.

OP, you're having a stressful time at the moment, you'll become a lot less shouty once the move is over and you are feeling more settled again. Cut yourself some slack.

doyouwantfrieswiththat Thu 22-Nov-12 23:19:27

A very lovely & gentle friend of mine was beating herself up for being shouty and shocking her ds, I was impressed she lasted so long , ( he's nearly 7).

They know we love them & like louisianablue says, shoutiness is directly proportional to stress.

QTPie Thu 22-Nov-12 23:32:38

You are not a "shouty mum", just "a mum who happens to have shouted". Don't forget that every day is a new day smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now