Am i playing enough with my 3 month old?

(4 Posts)
Loislane78 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:42:22

Went to a lunch with my friends today with babies of similar age and whilst I always enjoy it, sometimes I look at the other mums and feel bad I'm not 'playing' enough - what's normal??!!

I try to talk as much as possible, so always end of a feed and nappy change and if she's in the bouncer and I'm cooking i'll try to babble on. I've just set the play mat up and introduced toys as I can see she needs them now (just got over stimulated before) but I'll sometimes leave her to explore/play on her own as I just can't talk and play all the time it's exhausting and i'm at home on my own for a long day. We often go for walks. The other mums just seem so switched on and more playful!

I ask because she's also a baby who will stay in the cot for a (little) bit looking at the mobile without needing to pick her up and I just hope i'm giving enough developmental stimulation and she's not lying there totally bored. She seems alert and 'goo' chats/smiles now.

What did you do?

LadyWidmerpool Fri 16-Nov-12 21:46:58

Sounds fine to me! If she's bored or lonely she'll let you know. If she's happy watching the world then I would enjoy the rest. It won't last long! Don't compare yourself to other mums. That way madness lies.

Saltytomato Fri 16-Nov-12 21:51:02

You're really lucky if you have a baby that can entertain themselves! You will be wishing that you could stop playing with them once they start to need constant distractions so I would enjoy it while you can....

smile

Loislane78 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:55:52

Thanks smile. I know my post is a bit ridiculous but some of these mums seem to constantly be shaking a toy around of singing or jigging little Joey around etc. and I just feel exhausted watching tbh thinking is that what you're doing all the time shock. I thought I had a while before 24 entertainment was required!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now