Newborn caught cold from DD. Any tips?

(11 Posts)
rrreow Tue 13-Nov-12 14:46:37

Get a bulb syringe (one of those things that sucks the snot out). Makes a huge difference!

QTPie Mon 12-Nov-12 08:09:27

Definitely worth getting him checked out just in case ...

You can buy special (very gentle) baby vapour rub. I also love the Calpol plug-in vapour evaluators to help then breathe.

LittleBlackDress Mon 12-Nov-12 01:21:45

Great tips! Many thanks. Will get the saline drops in the morning. So far he hasn't been too bad. Famous last words!

WillowB Sun 11-Nov-12 21:27:39

Poor thing. Snuffle babe balm on a tissue tied to the Moses basket helps clear the nose. Second the saline drops. Feeding little and often helps too.

shoesontheglasslamp Sun 11-Nov-12 21:26:02

I found that my DS would (will!) always sneeze when in bright sunshine, so I used this to help him clear his nose.

Was amazed at just how much gunk came out!

Olbas Oil do a children's version, put in water on top of radiator in the bedroom. Also a damp towel on the radiator is supposed to keep the air moist and make it easier to breathe..?

formallyknownasloveydarling Sun 11-Nov-12 20:06:02

YY to steamy bathroom. And if you are bfing, a squirt of bm up the nose before feeding is meant to be good to clear the gunk away. And carry in a sling (upright) rather than use the pram when out so everything can drain out.
I hope your little one gets well soon.

EMS23 Sun 11-Nov-12 20:00:53

DD1 caught a cold from DSS when she was newborn. To add to advice already given, feeding in a steamy bathroom (I used to run the shower on hot for the whole feed!) and a long walk outside to get the nose running.

littleredmonkey Sun 11-Nov-12 19:59:18

Hey. I have a 5 week old de with a cold last week. We gave him saline nasal spray to help with his blocked nose. Also put a book in his nose basket to raise his head slightly so the mucus is less on his chest. Lots of skin to skin and loads of cuddles. Hope he is better very soon.

Mopandbucket Sun 11-Nov-12 19:59:09

My newborn had a cold at 4 weeks and a slightly raised temp, 37 I think. Dr said to take him to children's hosp. He had bronchiolitis as it turned out. You can't be too careful and I would keep an eye on temp and call out of hours GP just to check in.

littleredmonkey Sun 11-Nov-12 19:58:11

Hey. I have a 5 week old de with a cold last week. We gave him saline nasal spray to help with his blocked nose. Also put a book in his nose basket to raise his head slightly so the mucus is less on his chest. Lots of skin to skin and loads of cuddles. Hope she is better very soon.

LittleBlackDress Sun 11-Nov-12 19:50:23

Just that really. My little boy is only 2 weeks old and has caught DD's dreadful cold. He sounds like he has lots of fluid at the back of his nose and is coughing and sneezing a lot. What can I give him? Are there any ways I can help him feel a bit better? Add to that, he suffers from quite bad reflux too. Think we are in for a long night, either way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now