Im giving up breastfeeding

(13 Posts)
anothertiredmum Tue 13-Nov-12 00:13:48

ebramley Thanks for posting this.... I am three weeks in and struggling with BF and really thinking about stopping as I am not happy and I think it is affecting my relationship with my gorgeous baby girl... it is nice to hear someone who made a happy transition.

pointythings Mon 12-Nov-12 19:58:44

I think it's often harder with the second one, goodnews. I was very lucky in that DH and I could afford to keep DD1 in nursery during my maternity leave - to keep the place since I was going back to work, and to give her a sense of continuity, which worked very well - and it did give me the space and time to establish the bf relationship with DD2 in the same way I had with DD1. I very much doubt I could have managed that as comfortably had I had two to deal with.

whenwilltherebegoodnews Mon 12-Nov-12 19:50:58

I'm in the process of winding up feeding DS who is 4 months. I happily fed DD for 8 months but its not been enjoyable this time and I am so run down. I feel terrible, terrible guilt at stopping but as everyone says happy mum, happy baby, and I am looking forward to having more energy for both DC instead of just existing, which is what it feels like just now.

ebramley Mon 12-Nov-12 16:30:25

thanks everyone! nice support! happy days!

Sparklingbrook Sat 10-Nov-12 22:04:17

OMG I appear to have turned DS1 into a girl. blush But yes he is definitely a boy teenager. grin

Sparklingbrook Sat 10-Nov-12 22:03:13

With DD1 I managed 6 weeks. It was painful and awful from day one. I sobbed upstairs while DH gave him his first bottle downstairs. sad
He's 13 years old now. He's just fine. grin

You have done the right thing for you. Enjoy your DD and don't give it another thought. x

YDdraigGoch Sat 10-Nov-12 22:02:52

You could be me! I cried every time DD cried because I hated feeding her. After a couple of weeks my DH took things into his own hands, and bought formula, bottles etc. We never looked back!
I never even tried to feed DD2.

SarryB Sat 10-Nov-12 21:57:46

Well done you! You've done a great job, and now that you've switched to FF you'll be able to concentrate more on your beautiful babba.

PoppyWearer Fri 09-Nov-12 21:50:09

Well done for getting this far. You tried. You did good.

blacktreaclecat Fri 09-Nov-12 21:48:41

I FF from birth. You have made a great decision for your family - if bf was upsetting you or causing pain then FF is better. Happy mummy = happy baby. You are right FF is ok- my DS is bright, happy and healthy.

QTPie Fri 09-Nov-12 19:42:09

I am so sorry that you had a rough time.

You are doing the right thing: if you are not happy and in pain, then you should stop. It is not worth making your life miserable over (I BFd for 11 months - so am pro-breastfeeding, where it isn't detrimental to the mother).

If you are still "in the process of" giving up, then speak to your HV/GP: I am PRETTY SURE that there is a medication that they can give you to help cut your milk supply quickly (otherwise giving up suddenly could be quite painful with engorgement etc).

Enjoy your baby smile

QT

pointythings Fri 09-Nov-12 18:48:26

You've done 2 months, lots of babies don't even get that much so you have given your DD a flying start in terms of health. Enjoy the rest of your maternity leave with her.

(And I say this as someone who bf two children for 13 months - we all do what we can).

ebramley Fri 09-Nov-12 16:47:08

Just wanted to post something as I couldnt find anything that helped me or supported my decision. I have decided and have stopped breastfeeding after two months because it was literally sending me crazy. It was making me cry, I was getting anxious about going out and it was affecting me bonding with my child. Breastfeeding, for me, was not a bonding experience but just problematic and distressing and was getting worse. I went to breastfeeding clinics, read every leflet and even had one to one support but we just couldn't get the hang of it. The health visitor and support worker both said my large size was affecting the latch. So I decided, with fab support from my partner to stop. Life has been immediately better. Im happier, not in pain and really enjoy the time I spend feeding her. I will bring her up for her whole time with me on good food not junk as we home cook everything from good ingredients so she will get the best later as well. The transition has been a challenge and painful but Im pleased I made the decision although I am shocked and appalled at how little support there is for women that want to stop early. It means essentially that the short time I have with her (got to go back to work at 4 months) is now fun and enjoyable rather than painful and upsetting. So if you have tried everything, feel it is affecting your relationship feel free to make the decision to stop. Its ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now