On becoming Mary Poppins... Toddler and newborn support thread #2

(883 Posts)
ThePinkNinja Thu 08-Nov-12 09:38:53

A place to continue the complaining conversation about the hair pulling days and sleepless nights fun and frolics of life with a toddler and newborn

debbie1412 Sun 26-May-13 21:10:53

Ok well second period since I stopped BF has to be due because diet was going swimmingly until yest eve and I havnt stopped stuffing my face since. Got fat club tomoz il prob break the scales x

crazypaving Mon 27-May-13 17:41:59

I'm eating like there's no tomorrow atm. at this rate I'm going to put on all the weight I've lost and then some. can't seem to persuade myself to stop!

Offcolour Mon 27-May-13 18:29:42

Dh got a new BBQ for his birthday.... Sun, steak, ribs, sausages....mmmm.

satsumagirl Mon 27-May-13 19:56:17

Evening ladies smile

Tried a new tactic today that worked very well. DH and I were both grumpy and tired this morning. DS was doing his usual fussy toddler stuff and it was driving me mad. So I just went into bossy briskly efficient mum mode (I was channelling a friend of mine who is the epitome of this) and it completely transformed the day! We all went out for lunch, DH and DS were notably happier and everyone relaxed a bit. Feeling positive and hopefulgrin

satsumagirl Mon 27-May-13 19:57:44

Off colour how was the party? And did you get your night away in a hotel? envious

debbie1412 Mon 27-May-13 21:33:38

Hey girls 2lb weight gain at fat club tonight, can't say I'm suprised so I've got right back in the saddle and had a Chinese and a glass or 3 of wine lol, had a good day today took kids to Windsor race course for a fun day they both behaved brillant. Oopps and I may have had a cheese burger and larger. X

debbie1412 Mon 27-May-13 21:37:48

Oh and going to not so sunny Cornwall on Saturday. Couldn't face abroad this year with a baby, slightly regretting it with the weather as it is, might have to book a winter sun later on. Anyway trying a haven site anyone ever been??? Are they ok??

eversomuch Mon 27-May-13 21:44:01

Hi everyone, Stopping back in after what has been ages. DS will be 7mo this week -- an absolute dream, always smiling, loves cuddles. If only he hadn't developed a penchant for waking up well before 6am every morning. Two days ago we were up at 4:30 for the day and I was cross and grumpy and hating myself for it. Today it was 5:30am and I tried (and managed) to keep my cool much better and just accept that that was how it was going to be.

He rolls over occasionally but hasn't gotten too enthusiastic about it yet. I think it's coming very soon, though. Has two teeth and is chewing on everything he can put in his mouth, so more are on the way. We're on 3 meals a day and he's a great eater so far. Still BFing ... he nips, though. Ouch. Any tips for making that stop? I've also had mastitis; am on my second round of antibiotics now.

DD is now 26mo. Def has hit the terrible twos and gives me a run for my money on a regular basis, but she is also lots of fun and talking so much now. She's a real little person now and not at all a baby. I am contemplating starting potty training soon.

Many days continue to be very challenging and hardly any are easy-peasy. But things do feel like they've gotten a little easier. We just had family visiting for ten days and helping out loads, though, so I may just be feeling falsely optimistic. First day on my own again tomorrow, so we'll see if I manage to hold it together.

Have only had a chance to quickly skim the thread. I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who often feels "trapped". Aside from this family visit, I really don't get much of a break at all on a regular basis. DS never took a bottle and is still EBF, so at most I manage to take a walk at the weekends for a max of an hour or so, but usually much less. DH helps a lot but he's self-employed and when he's home, he's always got a lot of work-related things to try to catch up on. He takes DD out to play, which is great bc when I take both kids it's so hard to give DD the attention she needs and really play with her. DH and I are both still extremely tired (4:30am starts will do that) and have zero quality time together. I miss him. I miss having time.

I too am desperate for a wardrobe overhaul but shopping in actual shops just isn't going to happen anytime soon. Besides, I have loads of clothes that I want to fit back into someday soon ... if only I had time to start exercising/going to the gym again. Have about 3 or 4kg to lose to be back to my pre-pg weight, but would really like t lose 5 or 6 to get back to my pre-pre-pg weight. smile

OK, this turned in to a novel. Hope you all managed to enjoy the lovely weather today.

debbie1412 Mon 27-May-13 21:58:24

Hey ever, good to hear from you again. Also reluctant to buy new clothes as have a lorry load collecting dust. 4.30/5.30 starts are no fun my 1st born had numerous phases of waking up before the birds I used to bring him downstairs we'd watch a few peppa pigs and go back to bed. Won't be able to now theirs another 1 to think about. I can't believe I found having 1 child ever difficult. It was a DREAM lol

satsumagirl Mon 27-May-13 22:58:55

Hi ever. So pleased to hear that it gets easier! DD is almost 6 months old now so here's hoping its all downhill from herewink

One thing on my (ever growing) to do list is to find a bombproof method of contraception. Someday, somehow , if DH and I can ever summon up a the necessary energy to be intimate again I don't want to have the worry that we might have a third baby. We met up with some friends of ours recently who had a toddler and a baby but who then had a third surprise DC when a condom split and the day after pill didn't work! Obviously this is very rare. We used condoms for a while when we first met, then I got an IUD. Anyhoo, at this rate I shall be at least 57 before we can be arsed to do anything again so maybe it's not an issue. In the meantime, I shall revert to ogling Benedict Cumberbatch and daydreaming wink

Offcolour Tue 28-May-13 08:39:26

Hi everyone and hi to ever! Hope you all enjoyed the weekend.

I've got a really bad sore throat and chesty cough and ds was up every 2.5 hrs. Dd is at nursery today though so I'm going to stay in bed as much as possible. Had a lovely weekend, spent lots of time having fun with dd and hopefully we're back on track a bit.

I felt giddy with excitement and freedom after the party! Was amazing and lovely to do something just with dd. am going to plan in some stuff with friends over the next few weeks.

The night in a hotel is just for if I reach the end of my sanity and am approaching a nervous breakdown! Maybe next weekend we'll try dh giving him a bottle for one of the night feeds and see how that goes. We've been really struggling to stop bottles leaking, not sure what the problem is.

satsuma I got the implant in 6 weeks after ds was born to avoid any chance of a third. It's pretty much 100% effective as far as I know. Haven't dtd since ds was born but no way was I risking another! We'd always planned to have two but ds arrived slightly ahead of schedule so I wanted to be super careful.

crazypaving Tue 28-May-13 13:03:08

hi all, good to see you again eversomuch! we've got 4.30 starts here atm too. he usually gets up at 5-5.30 but since Saturday it's been 4.30. plus night feeds. it's not funny at all sad nothing seems to help or persuade him to go back to sleep. argh.

satsuma (why is that word not in my phone's dictionary?!) I'm another pondering contraception. also figure actually dtd is several decades away but then so's the menopause wink I hate taking hormone contraception but can't use coil either as I have menorrhagia. why is there no male pill??

oh ffs ds2 waking up an hour early from nap.

crazypaving Tue 28-May-13 13:15:02

sorry offcolour, get better soon.

debbie1412 Wed 29-May-13 15:54:09

Ds spark out on the sofa, that's him up all bloody evening !

satsumagirl Wed 29-May-13 17:18:20

Ok, contraception is the least of my worries today. DS being very fussy and naughty and DD won't nap. Arrrgh! Roll on 830pm when they both go down for a bit. Arrrrgh!

crazypaving Wed 29-May-13 19:35:20

I've had whingeing baby and unbelievably destructive naughty toddler all week. it's only Wednesday!! aaaaaargh I need a break!!!! give me strength.

satsumagirl Wed 29-May-13 20:11:26

Glad it's not just me crazy! My toddler is a funny combo. He was such a fussy nightmare this morning, but after his lunchtime nap was pretty good.

Offcolour Thu 30-May-13 07:02:36

Dd pulled out all the stops to wind me up yesterday. I was calm and ignoring as much as possible so she upped the stakes and was trying out new tricks. She ran off in the library so I had to dump the books on ds and leg it after her, catching up with her outside the cafe and made a public spectacle of myself telling her off. When I got back to ds the library lady was picking the books off him (poor thing, they must have been heavy on his legs) and asked if I still wanted them blush.

Ds has been sleeping amazingly last two nights, only up once so it's been a bit easier to deal with. How does a baby go from being up every 2.5 hours to only getting up once? He'll probably be back to his old tricks tonight.

Hope the naughty toddlers calm down for the rest if the week!

crazypaving Thu 30-May-13 08:39:39

DS2 is excelling himself. His mornings have been creeping earlier and earlier - this morning he was up -for the day - at 4am. Plus night feeds. I am so so so so tired sad

Offcolour Thu 30-May-13 10:03:22

Fucking hell crazy. That's tough. What time does he go to bed? We had to get a sleep consultant for dd and they said the reason she was waking for 2 hours between 2-4 was that we were putting her to bed way too early. Apparently a 7 mo sleeps for 10 hrs so if you out them down at 8 they wake around 6 (so the theory goes).

crazypaving Thu 30-May-13 12:36:38

Yeah 10 hours sounds right - he normally does 7-5 or 5.30ish. 4 is taking the absolute piss though. He goes to bed at 7 every single night sad Can't quite cope with the thought of putting him to bed later. I love child-free time. But if 4am starts become the norm, I suppose we'll have to consider it.

Offcolour Thu 30-May-13 13:25:16

Yeah I know, 8 is quite late. I can't cope with getting up before 6 though!! There's always a trade off. My in-laws complain my dd goes to bed too late when they're baby sitting, but also moan that her cousin, who goes to bed earlier, gets up too early!

crazypaving Thu 30-May-13 15:52:07

trouble is, I go to add myself at about 8.30 atm! blush

crazypaving Thu 30-May-13 15:52:20

*bed

Offcolour Thu 30-May-13 16:03:47

I walk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now