On becoming Mary Poppins... Toddler and newborn support thread #2

(883 Posts)
ThePinkNinja Thu 08-Nov-12 09:38:53

A place to continue the complaining conversation about the hair pulling days and sleepless nights fun and frolics of life with a toddler and newborn

debbie1412 Wed 06-Mar-13 20:23:47

Peanut also been on my list too. It makes it seem like more than a meal then just toast. Fuck me how deluded am I.... :-)

Hello, ds3 is 2 next week and the baby is 5 weeks old. Ds3 has started screeching at the top of his voice whenever he doesn't get his own way and the baby is feeding every 1.5 hours. I'm shattered!

princessx Wed 06-Mar-13 22:39:24

Hi moonins how many children have you got? Congrats on the baby.

We actually had a good day today but I'm so shattered I can barely move. Don't know what I'm doing still awake. I think it's the physicality of carting 2 children around that's hardest for me. The baby is massive and the poor boy is in a sling all day. Today I pushed up a hill for half an hour to get to a really good play group . Dd loved it. I've not properly recovered from c-section yet and feel all the lifting really hard.

On a positive note its so great spending time with my 23 mth old dd, she has been in full time nursery, and I'm just starting to learn do much about her .

Offcolour Thu 07-Mar-13 04:21:46

Wow moomins, sounds like you are an old hand at this game?

I'm chuckling at Debbie and crazy eating peanut butter as a meal substitute too! It is the most substantial thing you can eat that can be made and eaten in 5 mins!

Am feeling more confident after getting them both to bed on my own and ds has gone to bed at 8 for third time ever. But not looking forward to tomorrow: ds up at 12 (dreamfeed total waste if time), dd up at 2 ( nightmare), ds up at 4.... Will prob be up for the day in another 2 hrs....

Hi princess I've had 5 boys but ds4 was born at 20 weeks, so to prem to survive.

offcolour ds1 is 18 and ds2 10, so 8 years between each of the first 3 so toddlers and babies together is a new thing for me! Luckily ds3 started sleeping through about 3 weeks before the baby arrived

snowchick1977 Thu 07-Mar-13 11:42:25

Can I join? I have a 19 month old and a 5 month old. Do lots of you manage to get out and about because I do struggle with this. I struggle not with the actual "getting out of the house" but find it tough where to go.

It's such hard work to go shopping etc and I can't really go to any activities for toddler on my own as I need to keep an eye on the 5 month old

Any tips?

Offcolour Thu 07-Mar-13 12:18:33

moomin so sorry for your loss, so sad.

Welcome snowchick Can you go to activities with friends? I find that a god send, especially if the friend only has one. Take it in turns to stay with baby/run after toddlers. Or with the baby nap in buggy-car seat? Or try sling if baby is awake and you're on your own?

Dd is off nursery today having been sick in the night and I am knackered as was up every 2 hrs. Ds being v grumpy and screaming a lot. I've got a blocked duct. Watching tv all morning, crap parenting award for me! Dh has day off tomorrow and I have massage booked, can't wait.

crazypaving Thu 07-Mar-13 12:33:11

thank god for tv offcolour! that's what it's there for.

hi to everyone else!

sorry for your loss moomins, that must have been absolutely unbearable sad you're a hero dealing with such different age groups!

on phone with total scatter brain and can't remember who talked about nowhere to go when going out? I've had that issue - not many friends in the area. I wrote a list of all the options for wet weather and dry weather, eg garden centre, library, playground, so I had the options in front of me when I was stuck. it helps being able to put ds2 in a sling - do you use one? we're transitioning from Moby to ergo at the moment (ds2 is 5m) and so far so good, if I could just figure out how to do up the bloody neck strap! anyone got any tips? had to ask old lady in Sainsbury's carpark this morning blush

also, going to toddler groups can be good if they're run by churches - there's often lovely ladies who are dying to have a cuddle with a baby while you wrangle your toddler. I find fitting the day round the toddler is the only way forward - he has to be entertained and stimulated or my life ain't worth living.

a massage....oh what would I give for a massage....my aching back and shoulders. wonder if dh will pull something out of the bag for mother's day hmm hmm

debbie1412 Thu 07-Mar-13 20:26:01

Welcome snow, off TV is a constantin our house. We only do activities in groups so babies can be passed round while toddlers are playing. I'm very lucky to live near 4 new indoor play centres and I met some good friends at ante natal group with 1st dc. If your struggling to find friends with children i highly recommend putting yourself out there, go to local mums an toddler groups/stay and plays swap, get talking, swap
numbers. It really helps x

debbie1412 Thu 07-Mar-13 20:26:32

Constantin wtf

Offcolour Sun 10-Mar-13 09:07:30

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

We've had a tough few days, ds has been screaming hysterically in the afternoons and not napping well although he's been going down in the evening fine. Think it's a combination of illness and wonder week. Got him checked at the doc but he's fine, doc agrees probably discomfort from the cold. Dd has been waking at night from illness (thankfully not last two nights). We gave been ill for the last 4 weeks with one thing after another!

crazypaving Sun 10-Mar-13 14:50:44

happy mother's day! too tired for more. back again soon!

Can I come and join?

I have ds 2.4 and ds2 9 days, I'm tired.

Any helpful tips on giving ds1 some attention, he's realised the baby is staying and is acting very naughty at the moment in order to gain my attention (doesn't help that ds2 has a tongue tie).

crazypaving Tue 12-Mar-13 15:58:34

tribble that's tough. I'm still struggling with giving ds1 enough attention tbh sad I'm hoping that as ds2 gets better at sitting that will change. a sling helps - do you have one? tongue ties are crap, both of mine have had them. are you going to get it snipped?

struggling today with piles of snow, crap weather and ds1 not napping and stroppy as hell. when's it wine o'clock????

crazy yes, I have to revisit the clinic again next week to get a referral but hopefully it'll be a quick thing once that goes through.

smellsofsick Tue 12-Mar-13 19:24:48

Why haven't I seen this thread before? Bloody hell, two bloody kids? Whose idea was that. Thank God for wine

<<and breathe>>

debbie1412 Tue 12-Mar-13 19:58:49

Hey guys how we all??? Crazy I have a 2nd nite of mothers guilt dc1 not getting enough attention so he's playing up then getting negative attention. Dc2 is so bloody good really she's only doing what babies do. Things are getting easier in the evenings slooowly. Prob just jinxed it all now.
Welcome new people x

debbie1412 Tue 12-Mar-13 19:59:56

Oh and I've lost count of how old dc2 is in wks. So it must be getting easier x

Offcolour Wed 13-Mar-13 09:08:48

Welcome everyone! Like the name smellsofsick, dh commented yesterday I was covered in baby sick. We're improving, got our evenings back and ds in a bit more of a routine, although will only nap longer than 45 mins if he's sleeping on me. Main problem is that I've been ill with colds one after another for weeks. Also struggling to give dd enough attention and on short fuse through tiredness so shouting too much. Dd also had a really naughty spell about two weeks after the birth which was really trying - i tried really hard to be more positive towards her and talked a lot about being a family and a team and her behaviour impro ved after a bit.

Dh lost the buggy which added an extra dimension of stress to yesterday!!! Got it back through a local parents group on fb, thank fuck, my language was not pretty when I opened the boot and found my buggy wasn't there! Numpty had loaded the kids into the car after the park but left the buggy base on the pavement and driven off.

ehmumbo Wed 13-Mar-13 09:37:45

[big moan alert coming up...)

Oh offcolour I have had the same bloody cough since xmas! didn't get to sleep before midnight last night then DS2 wanted to breastfeed at 2 then 4 then DS1 came into bed for a cuddle and wole up DS1.

When I put ds2 back in his room he started wailing that he wanted to watch cbeebies...by 5.45 had left him in front room with a grumpy DH.

I was made redundant before maternity leave and am starting to get VERY worried about finding future employment whilst not getting any sleep. Dared to suggest to DH that perhaps he could look for a job that paid a bit more (since he would only need to earn a little bit more to cover mortgage etc, whilst I'd need to cover childcare in order to work as well) and he got really shitty with me.

FFS! SO bloody tired. DS1 is STILL watching telly.... such a bad mother sad

crazypaving Wed 13-Mar-13 12:42:39

welcome new people!

offcolour what a result about your buggy!! and what a cheek your dh has commenting on the baby sick!

yesterday was utter disaster day with stupid stupid snow. stuck in all day as the wind was so bitter it made ds1 cry. oh ffs it's snowing again now angry anyway ds1 was an absolute nightmare yesterday, napped for less than an hour and had tantrum after tantrum.

ds2 is getting better and better at sitting and I think I can see a light at the end of the tunnel with that one - he's so much happier sitting that I can actually put him down shock shock shock now I just need to crack daytime naps and the 5am starts angry

I have this mad idea that when the weather improves my life will too, beyond my wildest dreams. ha ha ha!!!

Louise85 Wed 13-Mar-13 13:08:58

I was going to say that I'm having a pretty good day for a change..managed to get out the house early and walked to tots group and back without getting wet...Dd had a poo accident at group, but I took it in my stride and sorted it out without losing it completely with her...BUT she has now thrown a huge tantrum because I'm on the pc and wont let her on (yes, I am selfish, however, she was on it for hours this am!!). I ignored it, and she's stormed upstairs - day might improve again if she's actually gone to sleep ;-)

ehmumbo I wouldn't worry at all about how much your kiddies are watching tv at the moment - I felt guilty all the time, but hey, I've got a new baby - lack of sleep, coping with another body - a bit more tv won't kill them for a few months till things get better

Louise85 Wed 13-Mar-13 13:10:25

Just realised I posted that comment on the wrong thread blush....

Offcolour Wed 13-Mar-13 14:19:27

It was an affectionate comment crazy! But oh my god, I would have been so furious with him last night if I hadn't got it back, he woukdnt have made any comments at all! It's a stupidly expensive thing (purchased in the old days when we had no sense before pfb arrived) with a brand new buggy board attached and car seat adapters. I was close to tears thinking how the hell I was going to cart the pair of them about today.

crazypaving Thu 14-Mar-13 12:38:10

<forgives offcolour's dh>

am wondering about getting a buggy board for my baby jogger. ds1 is only 2.4 but he's enormous - wonder if I'll be able to reach the handlebar? and it is handy being able to strap him in. he is such a little escape artist and likes to go his own way at random times. the other day I caught him helping himself to blueberries off a market stall blush the bloke was lovely but ds1 was outraged that I was stopping him eating his yummy "boobies" hmm they really don't get the whole property thing do they? "no this MINES"

I can't manage ds2 in a sling forever - it's a bit of a pain with him in the sling and ds1 in buggy. hmm, off to buggies forum I go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now