On becoming Mary Poppins... Toddler and newborn support thread #2

(883 Posts)
ThePinkNinja Thu 08-Nov-12 09:38:53

A place to continue the complaining conversation about the hair pulling days and sleepless nights fun and frolics of life with a toddler and newborn

debbie1412 Sun 24-Feb-13 21:23:24

I'm starting dan when he's 3 I might do it as a birthday gift as he gets so much of family we are always left racking our brains what to buy him. Hope he takes to it again soon it would be horrible to lose all the good work x

debbie1412 Tue 26-Feb-13 14:04:47

Ds 2.6 will be lucky to survive the day. Defiant doesn't come close to how hes acting. Just cleaned house while he was a nursery and he's crushing pombears into the floor with his juice cup while I'm couch bound feeling lily. #fuming

crazypaving Tue 26-Feb-13 17:23:25

just think of the wine after bedtime Debbie. hang in there...

crazypaving Thu 28-Feb-13 14:03:50

anyone struggling to ensure dc2 gets enough sleep in the day? I find that being out and about with ds1 really disrupts any opportunity for naps for ds2 and the only definite nap he gets is during ds1's lunchtime sleep - but that's not enough sleep for a tiny baby. so he spends a lot of the fly overtired and crying.

I feel like I can't meet both their needs, which sucks. anyone got any tips?

debbie1412 Fri 01-Mar-13 18:06:05

16wk old baby getting really clingy ???? Getting less and less done each day. Is this normal???

Offcolour Fri 01-Mar-13 18:27:03

Hi, can I join please? Have dd 2.6 and ds 11 weeks. Clinging onto sanity (barely) and also shouting and mostly feeling like a shit mother who can't meet anyone's needs (and my own are so unimportant that I've pretty much forgotten I exist as a person in my own right). Struggling to get ds to sleep during the day as he's carted about here there and everywhere. Have forgotten what an evening is like as ds sleeps on me (or screams) until we go to bed. Trying to toilet train dd but feel like I'm failing miserably. Just trying to dig in and keep surviving, but finding it depressing the that's the best I can hope for from life at the moment. Work seems like it would be a blessed place of peace and tranquility.

debbie1412 Fri 01-Mar-13 19:16:12

Def harder to establish day time nap routines as we spend a lot of time in noisy situations. I was always told they'll sleep on the go HA !!!!!!

crazypaving Fri 01-Mar-13 19:22:34

Debbie have you heard of the wonder weeks? around 4m babies are supposed to make cognitive leaps that make them more unsettled. could be that?

offcolour welcome. I could've written everything you did. surviving is a shit way of living. it has to get better! you will get your evenings back soon - hang in there. the rest of it, well, at 21 weeks is pretty similar for us sad I've got my hopes pinned on ds2 learning to sit up. not sure why!

Offcolour Fri 01-Mar-13 19:38:02

Thanks crazy. I am holding out for 6 months, when it started getting easier with dd. first 6 months were pretty shit but now she's (mostly) fab and a joy to be around when ds is napping so keep reminding myself it got easier last time and will again.

Wonder weeks is great, every time I think that I'm completely losing the plot with ds I check out the leap calendar and sure enough, he's at a tricky stage.

debbie1412 Fri 01-Mar-13 21:28:50

Just looked up wonder wks.. Spot on ! Got both ours down for 8.30 tonight that's a 1st shame it won't be an all nighter ( if only ) Im gulping my wine down with tightly crossed fingers x

Offcolour Sun 03-Mar-13 08:50:15

We seems to have taken a step back with sleep. Ds was doing really well (once we got him down), he was sleeping 5 hrs most of one week and even did whispers 11-7 one unbelievable night. But now we're back tiger ding every three hours. Am hoping its the 12 week growth spurt/wonder week and he'll go back to sleeping longer again when he's through it. Have pulled a muscle in my shoulder from picking him up and putting him down at night in the cold and can only lie in my back! Dh is up with them both ATM and I am having a rest.

crazypaving Sun 03-Mar-13 09:29:50

offcolour our nights have gone to pot too, and are getting steadily worse. he used to wake once or twice a night: now he wakes 3-5 times and is up for the day around 5am. I am absolutely shattered sad and very keen for things to somehow magically improve. he just seems hungrier than he used to be, but I guess that's a good thing as his weight gain has never been spectacular. I would kill for more than 2hrs sleep in one go.

Offcolour Sun 03-Mar-13 10:43:15

Oh lord. How old is your dc2 crazy? My dd went totally haywire at 4-6 months and only improved after we got a sleep consultant and I'm praying that ds doesn't go the same way. It's so tough and I can't imagine how I'll cope with two if that happens. Hope it improves for you soon!

ehmumbo Sun 03-Mar-13 11:31:52

DS 2 (6mnths) naps best on the move either in the car or in buggy. Oh and get a dummy for naps they are brilliant!

Have completely given up trying to even think about a routine for him, but he seems to get his naps in. He has started going down when DS1 does after bathtime 7pm - but put him in my bed and pop in to top up the breast milk if he peeps during the evening (which he usually does once or twice).

Cant say why he just started going down in the evening - previously we had been having to take turns cuddling him whilst eating dinner and watching telly etc - until I went to bed.

Also I think I have decided to chill about the whole sleep training thing this time round - he sleeps well in my bed and just rolling over to breast feed means we all get as much sleep as possible. Cant say I'm looking forward to trying to get him into a cot in his (3yr old) brother's room, but I guess we will work it out sooner or later.

The thing that is really getting my goat is that all four of us have had stinking colds for most of 2013 - everyone else sleeping fine last night, but I was awake coughing myself silly. Don't think I got more than one hours sleep all fucking night! sad

People with older kids do keep saying that this is the most difficult time. So really things can only get better she says in a desperate tone - hang in there everyone!

crazypaving Sun 03-Mar-13 12:24:27

ds2 is 5m tomorrow. I remember everything going seriously tits up with ds1 at 6m but I don't remember much else as he was generally a shocking sleeper and didn't sleep through til 16m. everyone said I couldn't have 2 crap sleepers.... ha. angry

Offcolour Mon 04-Mar-13 01:45:17

Tonight we had an evening!! I fed ds after his and bunged him in his cot to see what would happen at 8 and he has only just got up [shocked]. Had a glass of wine to celebrate. Dd has been a total madam all day though. Bit worried, not sure if trying to potty train so soon after baby's arrival has unsettled her. Potty training not going well at all.

crazypaving Mon 04-Mar-13 11:00:45

great news, offcolour! having an evening really makes a difference - even if you just use it to go to bed early!! you're brave with potty training. I'm in denial about that, no plans to start at all yet! good luck with it.

Offcolour Mon 04-Mar-13 12:17:23

I wasn't planning to either but dd said she really wanted to stop wearing nappies and got really upset. She was positive about it the first couple of days but now she's refusing to use the loo (have started bribing her if she tries so she's a bit more positive about it). I think I've put too much pressure on her by asking too often if she wants to go. But I don't want to go back to nappies in case she feels she's failed! Kind of wish I hadn't started.

debbie1412 Mon 04-Mar-13 21:25:05

Potty training HAUNTS me. Ds is 2.6 going to try this spring. We try to whip him on the toilet when we know he needs to poo. Point blank refuses to do it. As soon as nappy is back on away he goes x

Offcolour Tue 05-Mar-13 06:54:33

We're bribing dd with chocolate buttons to TRY the loo now. No success in actually doing anything in it, except at nursery, which makes me feel useless. Crap night, ds up at 2:30, 4 and 6, still awake. And on my own tonight as dh away. At least dd is at nursery today so I have some peace (hopefully). Ds was really screamy and unsettled yesterday afternoon.

NandH Tue 05-Mar-13 06:57:45

ds - 4 weeks. doesn't know what sleep is.
dd - 22months. won't walk, can't talk, has hissy fits every 10mins....YAY!!

me - tired.crabby.fed up.
dp- fucking useless.

Offcolour Tue 05-Mar-13 20:50:15

Ok, I have just bathed and bathed both children, singlehandedly and they are both in bed, asleep and I am downstairs. Dh is away on business and I have been dreading tonight for ages. I feel ludicrously proud of myself. Ds screamed after I put him down but I had to eat something so I listened to him screeching while I frantically made peanut butter on toast and by the time I'd stuffed it down he had stopped! Result!

debbie1412 Tue 05-Mar-13 21:23:45

Welldone off its nights like this that keep you going x

debbie1412 Tue 05-Mar-13 21:24:34

Welcome Nand x

crazypaving Wed 06-Mar-13 12:32:09

welcome nandh!

offcolour nights alone are so stressful, well done! I've eaten a LOT of peanut butter on toast since ds2 arrived. just so easy. I imagine I'll never be able to eat it again once I stop having to!

we've had a few days of warmer weather and it's been so nice. it's so much easier to just get outside rather than planning operation-leave-the-house-with-destination-in-mind. cold and rainy by weekend apparently. come on spring, try harder!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now