Fantastic 40+ Mums

(1000 Posts)
Hpbp Wed 10-Oct-12 19:57:03

Mum of 2, DS1 nearly 4yo and DD2 almost 11 weeks. I hope to find here advices from experienced mums so that I can avoid mistakes... I made some with DS1 and my life sometimes is hell, it is hard to unlearn wrong behaviour, so hard.
At the time being, DD2 is a very sweet baby, she is easy to decipher, cries are always related to some kind of discomfort and I managed to learn what they mean, or almost. Only one issue with her ATM is that she rejects bottle feeding even with expressed milk. I'd like to be able to escape a bit from the house to get a haircut or a facial. And I am sure DH would like to feed her sometimes too.
I struggle a bit more with DS1, who is usually a good boy, energetic, happy and loving. But after school, getting him to take his bath is a battle and falling and staying asleep all night are big issues. The problems did exist before but now with the recent arrival of his sister, the intensity has increased. Or maybe they are the same but to me they seem bigger and need to be addressed quickly so that I can look after both without raising my voice.
All advice are welcome. I need help here.

Also I'd like to invite all the graduates from the Fantastic 40+ Mums to be thread to join. You have been truly fantastic and so supportive during my pg. I hope to be able to keep on sharing with you this wonderful parenting adventure.

blueblackdye Mon 10-Dec-12 13:16:37

Friday 21 is good for me, Midget. Any one else ? Goat, FF ?
Bought Jamie Oliver's 15 min meal. Need a food processor now...

ValiumQueen Mon 10-Dec-12 17:07:40

Well turns out it was a bug with DD2. Got proper poorley Sunday PM, just after in-laws arrived. Temp just under 40 with copious vomiting. Bit better today, but last night was a joke. Just imagine DD2 coughing and vomiting seemingly constantly, DS vomiting full feed just after finally dropping off, covering me, him and bed, and DD1 wetting her camp bed as she woke up not knowing where she was having been turfed out of her bed by MIL. DSIL was meant to be sleeping in with her in case this happened but decided DD breathed too loudly so had moved bed to be with MIL. This morning they said, oh, we thought about getting up to see if you needed help. DH had to deal with the girls as I was feeding. He was not impressed grin he did not want to go to work having not slept well. Welcome to my world for the last 6.5 years!

DS brought up his feed mid afternoon. Apparently this is common for some time after bronchiolitis. It really upsets me.

blueblackdye Mon 10-Dec-12 17:18:18

VQ what a horrible time you had ! Poor you. How long are your in-laws staying for ? I have been hiding from ex work colleagues since I came back, very bad behaviour from me, they just wanted to meet the new addition and it is vety kind of them, but I am just not ready to deal with visitors, let alone in-laws. Hope tonight will be less hectic for you.

ValiumQueen Mon 10-Dec-12 17:27:50

Thankfully they went lunchtime. Had I known she was ill I would have cancelled them. I am not sure tonight could be any worse, but that is what I thought the night before grin

ValiumQueen Mon 10-Dec-12 17:30:04

I have yet to go in to work. Really must, but not until boy is well. I will probably wait until after his jabs as the clinic where I work is full of unhealthy clients.

BadMissM Mon 10-Dec-12 17:31:55

blueblackdye Are you back in the UK now?

ValiumQueen Mon 10-Dec-12 17:38:59

Is that you midget?

blueblackdye Mon 10-Dec-12 17:44:39

BadMissM, yes I am back in London, a week already, I am surviving ! Actually it is not as bad as I feared, because DS has grown and behaves better and little Anastasia is an angel baby, DH also promised to be back around 6.30 to help, all is good.
VQ, when do you have to go back to work ? Or is it just a visit you are paying them ?

ValiumQueen Mon 10-Dec-12 17:53:43

Just a visit. Not planning to go back until after summer holidays if finances will allow.

BadMissM Mon 10-Dec-12 19:36:14

blueblackdye welcome back! Hope London treating you well! I have to come down twice in the next few weeks as I have to come for some tests...

littleredmonkey Mon 10-Dec-12 19:38:35

Vq. Lordy missus u have it so rough lately. Sending u super hugs. Hope the girls feel better and little boy is keeping the precious boob juice down. Go into work when you are ready and relaxed. You are a fab mum and deserve a massive glass of booze well some booze due to bf and a fuck off massive slab of choc.

Gettinge it together a bit more thank God stress free day. The swing and dummy are ace. Still sleeping with him for a couple of hours in the morning thenchange play. Got Christmas songs on iPod so sing songs for a bit. Into swing with dummy gave me 45 mins of tidy up and Christmas card writing. Why I bother given out at work I dont know. Not one of em has asked me how everyone is. I have texted no reply. Wankers.
Any way swing ace and dummy even better. Not going to use for bed time dont fancy being woken up every few mins as I has dropped out.
Midget u got a new name?

littleredmonkey Mon 10-Dec-12 19:42:05

Bbh. I would love to start cooking soon. Love Jamie oliver

blueblackdye Mon 10-Dec-12 20:41:05

BadMissM, it would be great if you are around on Fri 21, we are trying to meet up in Central London.

eagleray Mon 10-Dec-12 22:40:10

Evening all - hope you are all well, but know some of you have had a rough time lately :-( special thoughts esp for VQ - so sorry things are so shit for you at the moment.

Would love to come to London but sadly the 21st is my last day at work - after this date I will have more time on my hands, although not sure how good I will be with public transport by then!

I'm 35 weeks this week, still reasonably mobile, but getting a lot of BH and baby movements getting more painful. Each BH reminds me of the things I haven't bought/prepared yet for the baby and how little time I have left. And I've done nothing regarding christmas yet - pretty crap really.

DP normally away all week but has some sort of 'flu' so is at home, coughing everywhere, lying on the sofa and generally being a bit of a PITA. Hard to feel sympathy when I'm still doing a 40 hour week and driving 80 miles a day - nasty woman that I am. Interesting that he managed to get off his sick bed to work on his bike for a while, but has done cack-all regarding baby stuff.

Ooh - I see that Jamie Oliver has shown his face on this thread! Think he left the mums-to-be thread in a huff when the talk turned to Mr Craig instead (Jamie was very popular for a while).

littleredmonkey Tue 11-Dec-12 02:19:59

Omg. Baby monkey slept for 3.5 hours it's a christmas miracle '!!!!

Hi eagleray good to hear from you. Not long now honey. Christmas shopping for me has been on my phone from bed feeding most early mornings. Thank God I had a baby in 2012 not 2000 I would have had to go to the shops

Hugs to vq xxxxx

littleredmonkey Tue 11-Dec-12 02:33:15

Yeh for boob milk in a bottle and ewan. Extra grass for you my purple leggy friend! '',
Still cant believe he slept that long. !! Boobs are huge also so he is feeding like a mad monkey so extra full again. He likes the fuller boob less work for him. Lazy boy !

Goatbongohohoandjinglejingle Tue 11-Dec-12 03:00:59

Good lord vq you have been having a horrible time of it. Hugs and sympathies. I hope you have a really boring and uneventful 2013, too! (DH has asked for this...)
Lots of posts since my last. I spent yesterday running feverishly around my old house trying to pack and sort stuff. Then the removal man turned up and said he had todo it yesterday afternoon as he was away today. What the?... Cue shell shock and a slight meltdown as I tried to direct them, continue sorting stuff, and juggle a rather grumpy baby who was not impressed at proceedings. Then the guy turns round and says he can do it today after all and will come back. Argh! Oh well at least it gives me time to go finish the kitchen. The garage here will burst its seams. Combining two households is interesting! (though DH doesn't get a look in in my lovingly kitted out kitchen. Possessive, me?...)
BG has voice back unfortunately along with an impressive rattle when he breathes sad not happy about that one.
Hello eagleray nice to see you again, good luck with the last few weeks. Is this your first?
Friday 14 or 21 would be possible. I like the idea of skyping as well. Though we have to make sure babies don't compare notes on how to keep mummies up at night.

littleredmonkey Tue 11-Dec-12 08:41:29

Goat. Good luck with the move. Are u moving far? hope the move goes easy and the man in the van is hassle free

Goatbongohohoandjinglejingle Tue 11-Dec-12 13:34:36

Thanks just waiting for him now. Actually have already moved, just to bigger house on other side of town. DH had to move most stuff while I was still in hospital with bg. Guy deserves a raft of medals.

bytheseaside Tue 11-Dec-12 15:02:39

Ah yes, what is it about us silly mummies that makes us move house when babies are due?? (speaking about myself here ...) have been an even sillier mummy today, took baby s out for brisk walk, got to town to discover massive leak. Was cursing new size 1 nappies when i discovered id taken her out without one on!!! blush also forgot spare babygros so have cobbled together a makeshift outfit made from lots of vests and socks, and dried out pramsuit under dryer. what a s* mum i am. Or a very very tired one

ValiumQueen Tue 11-Dec-12 15:13:30

Greetings. Tentatively suggesting things may be improving. DD2 at nursery (thank fuck!). She is fab but very spirited. Very! I am outside the school awaiting DD1. It is cold. DS is with my mum. She was very suprised to be trusted. DS has kept food down since last puke 3pm yesterday. I am feeding him little and often so he swore at me as I left, before promptly falling asleep. His breathing is much better but still coughing.

Goatbongohohoandjinglejingle Tue 11-Dec-12 22:31:29

We didn't plan on moving when baby was due, but the vendors really dragged their feet (including pulling out at one point) so we were a couple of months late completing. Coinciding of course with BG being a couple of months early!
Nightmare about forgetting the nappy! I forgot a change of clothes once, and of course BG did the biggest vom of his little life. Another mum lent me a bright pink babygro that fitted her well-upholstered 6 month old. BG was about 4 1/2 lbs at this point, so you can imagine what he looked like! With his little white trousers with feet, he was rather reminiscent of a dodgy Olympic weight lifter...
vq hooray if things are improving. Don't say it too loudly!
BG has had a leaky nappy (change one) and a vomathon (change two) so far tonight. Is now wide wide wide awake and talking to the door handle hmm

bytheseaside Tue 11-Dec-12 23:53:27

sorry goat didnt really think you planned to move on due date! just amazing how many of us end up on this pickle, moving house / major building work are, i guess, the ultimate forms of nesting ... I was much more foolish as I knew I'd be 7 months pg, and had my head in sand about moving stress, and no idea how impossible unpacking would be with a velcro baby
baby seaside is crying every time she poos / farts in the evening these days poor poppet - I wonder why? maybe she has baby IBS like mummy

littleredmonkey Wed 12-Dec-12 07:58:40

bythesea. Hope baby hasn't got ibs. I have that bloody awful bowel pains. I read if they have formula they can get a bit constipated.
Today I feel a new women. I feed bm at 7 was a sleep by 8 and so was I after dp tucked me in. He has tucked me in for twenty years how cool is that. Anyway I woke to ewans red belly glow in bm basket and dp in bed he told me to go back to sleep. I thought he had come to bed. Oh no he had done a super ninga on me. I.
What happened was I slept while at 10 took baby monkey out his bed changed him gave him expressed milk and put him back. When I woke up with him crying it was 1:00. Yes ladies I got to sleep for 5 hours! !!!!!!! Dp is lovely. Not slept that long since august. Midget. I have no excuses not to get on that x trainer today

littleredmonkey Wed 12-Dec-12 08:04:24

Vq how is little ones chest today.
After reading all your nappy bag dramas I went and checked mine. I still had a new born baby gro in there. He would have been a bit restricted in that. Weigh day Thursday. Hoping for 12 lbs at least. I am amazed how quick he is growing. O brushed his hair earlier David Beckham had nothing on his style.

This thread is not accepting new messages.