Fantastic 40+ Mums

(1000 Posts)
Hpbp Wed 10-Oct-12 19:57:03

Mum of 2, DS1 nearly 4yo and DD2 almost 11 weeks. I hope to find here advices from experienced mums so that I can avoid mistakes... I made some with DS1 and my life sometimes is hell, it is hard to unlearn wrong behaviour, so hard.
At the time being, DD2 is a very sweet baby, she is easy to decipher, cries are always related to some kind of discomfort and I managed to learn what they mean, or almost. Only one issue with her ATM is that she rejects bottle feeding even with expressed milk. I'd like to be able to escape a bit from the house to get a haircut or a facial. And I am sure DH would like to feed her sometimes too.
I struggle a bit more with DS1, who is usually a good boy, energetic, happy and loving. But after school, getting him to take his bath is a battle and falling and staying asleep all night are big issues. The problems did exist before but now with the recent arrival of his sister, the intensity has increased. Or maybe they are the same but to me they seem bigger and need to be addressed quickly so that I can look after both without raising my voice.
All advice are welcome. I need help here.

Also I'd like to invite all the graduates from the Fantastic 40+ Mums to be thread to join. You have been truly fantastic and so supportive during my pg. I hope to be able to keep on sharing with you this wonderful parenting adventure.

Hpbp Thu 22-Nov-12 09:38:18

It seems that Nothing is definite with babies ! Anastasia woke up twice last night as well, feed and back to sleep ! But I was alert ! I am now going back to sleep too.
VQ, hope BP will go down quickly. I love cosleeping but it is true that we Mums don't sleep really well with baby in bed with us.
Seaside, enjoy the shower ! How amazing that small and trivial thing like sleep, loo, shower... makes us happy !!!

Midgetm Thu 22-Nov-12 12:26:47

Bugger to BP and waking babies. Midge also woke a lot last night - something in the air. I am shattered.

Goat your GP is a nobber. Mine said it was too soon to worry about it and I needed the extra padding for BF. he actually told me to wait. Nice man!

bytheseaside Thu 22-Nov-12 12:50:02

Yes goat, poo to your gp. ignore that nonsense

littleredmonkey Thu 22-Nov-12 19:30:36

Goat. It's official your gp is a non. Honestly what a dumb aas thing to say. So annoying some people's lack of tact

Hope we all get a ok nights sleep. I have had a monster headache all day. Paracetomols have been as useful as licking my cats head to relief the pain.
I have the longest day ever. Little guy has been grumpy all day. Went for an hour walk so he settled. Got him a swing seat yesterday and loved it for five mins then looked a bit sick so turned it off. Will give it another go Friday.
Ladies feeling the strain today and so tired. Baby monkey is plAying me up feeding he keeps kicking and grumbling. Sorry having a moan. Good for the soul sometimes.

Midget. How did your day go? Hope u get some sleep this evening. Hows the exercises going? I just managed to put the Hoover about.
Valium. Hope your bp is ok today and no return trips to doctors.

littleredmonkey Thu 22-Nov-12 19:35:11

Sorry goat gp is a nob not a non. Silly typo

Midgetm Thu 22-Nov-12 19:57:13

LRM you always make me laugh,icing your cats head grin

Day lovely as DH off work so lazing around eating and watching the box. Happy days grin

In bed already with master midge, he's bit asleep yet but I nearly am....

Midgetm Thu 22-Nov-12 19:57:43

Icing your cats head? Damn you autocorrect

Hpbp Thu 22-Nov-12 20:33:06

Ladies, I am really struggling sometimes to understand, especially when autocorrect takes part in the conversation ! I am having some good time, nonetheless reading you all.
Midget, glad you had a lazy day !
LRM, maybe baby Monkey was not hungry ! Or trying to colour and fill his nappy in yellow while on the breast. Anastasia does that, in the morning usually, I try to feed her, she starts sucking and just when let down begins, she withdraws and gets milk all over her face, so she wriggles, gets upset and farts between kickings and bitings, if not doing number 2 !!!
Re headache, BF makes me feel very thirsty, I drink at least 3l of water a day, when I have not had enough water or/and sleep, I get headaches.
Anastasia impressed me today. She behaves so well, I can't believe it. Today, she must have been a little tiny bit upset when I put her down for her naps and night. She did not scream, just protesting and explaining that she was not tired. But after 2 minutes, she fell asleep. At almost 17 weeks, she stays awake for 1h15, 1h30 max. She cried only a bit at 5.30pm because she was hungry and I was giving her brother his bath. The rest of the day, she was happily chatting on her own, with me or my Mum. Touch wood, it won't last forever, but one day like that gives enough hope for the dark hours !
Off to bed now. oh, BJCM GT arrived today but I won't see it before 1st Dec. If anyone saw a man in a dark suit pushing an brand new empty black BJCM GT in the tube at 7pm, that was my DH !!!

bytheseaside Thu 22-Nov-12 21:14:10

Autocorrects making me laugh today -iced cats! grin
hpbp poor you not being able to play with new pushchair! tell me what its like when you see it
Weve been inbed all day today and i have had some glorious naps, feel groggy but better. house is an utter tip though. wanted to do 10 loads of laundry so i don't have to start wearing emergency clothes ... and hv coming, don't like to look like the domestic slob that i am. at least house smells clean, too clean. walked dog poo in to hall on pushchair wheels so we mopped everywhere with dettol. ugh. does this happen to everyone? Surely not! Do parents just check wheels all the time? we have no porch and loads of annoying dog owners on our street who clearly don't pick up- wtf?
Sorry to keep using you all as my personal which report, but what do you think about vibrating bouncy chair thing? More likely to settle baby seaside or a gimmick?

eagleray Thu 22-Nov-12 22:01:50

Evening everyone - your exploits continue to amuse and scare me in equal measures! Hope you are all having a restful evening.

HPBP - < pram coincidence alert > I bought a BJCM GT tonight too!!! Had to go and view a car for sale and on the way popped into John Lewis and ordered one. It gets delivered to the shop tomorrow apparently, so I can go and collect it then. I got the Bamboo shade, which I suspect after reading everyone's posts, is the colour of baby poo. That can only be a good thing, I guess??

I bought the car too, so it's been quite a shopping day smile

Hpbp Fri 23-Nov-12 09:21:36

Eagle, what a shopping day indeed, a pram and a car ! Yes, you are right indeed, bamboo is the color of Anastasia's poo atm, it can be green or yellow as well. Pediatrician said not to bother unless it becomes white. But some of us experienced stomach bug with green poo. DS chose black for his sister between bamboo and red, we have colourful footmuffs and a very red, pink ish changing bag. So it should look good.
VQ, PnT are so massive ! And very trendy.
Seaside, I do check buggy wheels, not all the time but living in London and Paris before, I tend to be cautious. I have not got vibrating bouncy chair so I can't comment. A friend of mine had a massive one but her 2 sons hated it, I guess it depends a lot on the kids. Can/Have you tried carrying baby seaside on your back in the sling ? I don't know if there is a minimum age to do so but alternating front and back could help with back ache, I believe. I suppose when Anastasia gets older I will probably carry her on my side although she holds her neck very well already.

I searched in my notes and DS' first word was "banana". 3 syllable words were easier from him than 1 syllable, he said "aubergine" "brocolis" before he could say "egg" or "dog" !!!
Last night, he kissed me and whispered "Mummy, you are beautiful" out of nowhere. my heart melted and went to bed with a smile on my face.

Midgetm Fri 23-Nov-12 09:25:08

Bloody hell eagle you come into money? grin

<goes a bit soppy and melts a bit about HP's DS and goes to check the buggy for pooh>

eagleray Fri 23-Nov-12 10:33:44

What lovely things your DS says hpbp - so sweet!

Car is a slightly crazy purchase - current car is v high mileage and quite old - 'new' car is 4 yrs old, low mileage and more geared up for family life and I liked the look of it most importantly

Just had John Lewis text to say pram arrived in shop! Quite exciting, although obviously have no use for it yet...

But eagle you have forgotten the most important thing - what colour is the car?! grin
hpbp that's so lovely from your DS!
seaside glad you caught up on some sleep yesterday, long may it continue.
lrm are you feeling better (without licking the cat's head?...)
midget your lazy day sounds wonderful. Babygoat has already got to the wired stage where doing nothing is as awful to contemplate as being hungry. He is catching up on his real age fast - we went to our prem group yesterday and he is already the second biggest there, despite being one of the youngest. Has just started sitting (with support) is commando crawling and thinks that rolling over means head over heels rather than side to side. All this of course preferably at 2 in the morning. Is also good at the running commentary. At least currently he doesn't particularly care if I listen or not!
How old is everyone's LOs again? BG is 18 weeks, 10 adjusted.

How old ARE... Sorry, babybrain!

bytheseaside Fri 23-Nov-12 21:50:00

baby seaside is 9 weeks, 2 adjusted and nearly a normal baby weight now. guzzling away as i type, which is probably why ... sore boobs today - I let her latch badly in the night as was sooo tired, regretting it now.

goat babygoat has done amazingly! I'm so envious of your prem baby group. nothing like that round here, which is such a shame. maybe I should set one up? cant imagine being organised enough for that, though.

eagleray excellent shopping! I'm spending so much money we dont quite have at the mo. was so tempted by the idea of a crying-free trip to the loo that I caved and bought a babybjorn bouncy chair today on vq and others' recommendation. that has to be it now- I will be knitting snowsuits myself and making nappies out of old newspaper from now on. and we're sticking with the free boots changing bag. I will not pay £50 for a bit of bright pvc (although its clearly a bit late to be sanctimonious about gullible postnatal shopping)

hpbp aah, what a lovely boy! can you lend him out to cheer up other tired mummies?

ValiumQueen Sat 24-Nov-12 03:08:57

DS is 4 weeks.

Had him weighed today, and after a difficult start weight gain wise he is now 10lb 7. Hard to believe DD2 was only 4oz lighter at birth as he is such a lump now.

I hope baby likes the bouncer seaside With my first two I was given or lent a variety of bouncers and swings and jumpy things. All were shite compared to that bouncer. Even the fancy jungle sounds vibrating fisher price chair. They sell well too.

bytheseaside Sat 24-Nov-12 03:40:43

vq great stuff! Testament to your hard work and good instincts

ValiumQueen Sat 24-Nov-12 08:44:31

Thank you seaside I knew he would be ok, but was beginning to wonder if me being so tired was affecting the quality of milk.

bytheseaside Sat 24-Nov-12 16:56:25

Well the three of us have slept for much of the night and day too (with odd feed here and there) feels miraculous smile
We also went out last night to a Christmas event and baby s heard her first live music - we officially have a life

Midgetm Sat 24-Nov-12 19:20:03

DD1 'mummy, I am so glad you chose Me as your baby. '

DH ruined it by saying 'we don't get any choice love' grin

I still melted a bit though.

Hpbp Sat 24-Nov-12 19:27:54

VQ, it seems that your milk is still as good as gold ! Very glad baby J is doing well. You can now relax and look after yourself a bit. smile
Seaside, bravo ! I shall try to follow your path and have a life soon too.

I am on my own again tonight. DH is out with my brother and my nephew, in the company of Daniel Craig and Skyfall. I am baby sitting ! At least, the 2 kids are sleeping, I can read your posts, it is not too bad !

I have to start packing, it is time I go back to my flat/life in London, after 5 months spent at my Mum's and DH commuting every week end. One week left in Paris and next week, I will be home. I have mixed feelings, glad to go home and scared that I won't cope but hey, if I don't try, I won't know ! It is the lonelyness I am afraid of. DH is not a very talkative nature, I will be home all day alone, I might drown him in the evenings with endless baby talk...

Hpbp Sat 24-Nov-12 19:31:31

Goat, Seaside, what does adjusted age mean ? I know your babies arrived early so the adjustment must be sonething to do with prem, can you explain ?
Goat, Anastasia is 17 weeks tomorrow.

Hpbp Sat 24-Nov-12 19:34:32

Midget, has your DD1 got the same sense of humour as your DH ? His reply is quite good, very true indeed but also funny. Typically British, to me.

Midgetm Sat 24-Nov-12 20:35:39

HP both DH and dd so fancy themselves as comedians, you are spot on there.

Oh and goat my DS is 6 weeks on Tuesday.

This thread is not accepting new messages.