She just won't eat! Every mealtime is stressful and with floods of tears! Please help.

(109 Posts)
LoveYouForeverMyBaby Fri 05-Oct-12 14:36:09

Dd (almost 11months) pretty much survives on milk. That's it. I make her homemade food from scratch for one meal a day, and a punch for the other meal (plus breakfasts like museli, cereal, scrambled egg, toast, fruit etc). Apart from breakfast which she eats, she will not touch lunch or dinner. I have tried not giving an milk bar one morning bottle and she just screams as she is hungry all day and still won't eat.

She has been like this for 2 months now.

Hvs won't help me, they keep saying milk is their main nutrional until 12 months. Well we're approaching 12 months then what? This is a typical meal planner for us, what am I doing wrong??

7am 200mls milk
9am breakfast (toast, museli/wheatabix/cereal/scrambled egg, with fruit)
11am 100mls milk
1pm lunch (today was homemade grilled salmon, with humous, tomato, sweet potato, cous and pasta, with the following finger foods banana, melon, tomato and rice cake) all she ate was the rice cake
3pm 50mls milk
5pm dinner - an Ella's pouch or sometimes a homemade soup with bread.
7pm 150-200mls milk

So she has about 500-550mls of milk a day and solid wise a bit of breakfast and a rice came. Al day.

I eat with her, I make homemade food, I try to get her to be interactive, I try to make it fun, I try ignoring her to see if that makes a difference.

Nothing. Nothing works.

Everyone comments on how thin she is - she is the 75th centile for weight.

Please help me. No one will help or seems concerned but I think a baby approaching 1 years to just have milk and a rice cake in the day isn't right.

forevergreek Tue 09-Oct-12 19:40:25

That's great! Well done.

grin Just remember days like today when she has a bad day.... Its normal for toddlers to eat very very lightly some days and like a horse on others. It may help you to focus on what she eats over a week rather than a day.

LoveYouForeverMyBaby Fri 12-Oct-12 19:05:50

Just an update to say shes still eating beautifully thank you all.

hawthers Fri 12-Oct-12 19:53:58

Hooray so pleased to hear that especially since we've had the tea from hell and I'm on the wine already

Dimpz1 Mon 19-May-14 10:21:44

my baby just wont eat and i need help i am suffering as it breaks my heart to see her cry all the time when its feed time. she just basically survives on milk...plus its exhausting as than she gets hungry during the night and keeps waking up for milk.

help

alita7 Mon 19-May-14 11:12:47

have you tried giving her milk after instead of before meal times?

And maybe 1 food at a time, like carrot sticks first then, some small bits of meat etc. And let her use her fingers.

lola88 Mon 19-May-14 13:36:07

I've not time to read all the reply's so sorry if this mad idea has been said but when DS was little and didn't eat someone suggested giving him chocolate/sweets to see if he ate it to try and see if it's fussiness turned out it was him being fussy as milk or treats where gobbled up. The woman who told me this had a child who had some sort of physical problem with eating so wouldn't even if it was a treat. I didn't do it til 18 mo though so your DD is maybe a little young.

I would also give food before milk DS is a milk fiend I really struggled to get him to enjoy his food from about 10mo even now he's 2 he would live on milk

Ilikethemoon Mon 19-May-14 15:15:33

Okay I dn't have time to read the thread so sorry If I repeat but my ds was the same so want to reassure you. You dc is totally normal. Just as some babies learn to walk or talk later than others, some move to eat solids later than others. We had 10 months of hell trying to feed ds, soending an hour at mealtimes, trying to keep him constantly entertained and distracted with toys so we could get little bits of food into him. Then one week at 14 months he started eating. A dr friend from a paediatric background said his ds ate no solids till 18 months. This is perfectly normal. I feel strongly that all this emphasis on moving children to solids really stresses parents out if they have a kid who is ready for solids at a later age. You are doing nothing wrong. Neither is your dc.

mawbroon Mon 19-May-14 15:30:49

Dimpz this is an old thread from a couple of years ago. You would be best to start a new one and hopefully there will be lots of helpful replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now