When did you start going to Mothers and Toddlers group?

(34 Posts)
sharond101 Tue 02-Oct-12 22:24:32

DS coming up on 5 months and my Mother insists I should go to a Mothers and Toddlers group. I thought these were for older children? What age did you start taking your LO?

crackcrackcrak Mon 08-Oct-12 19:59:09

Baby yoga and Jo jingles when dd was 6 months because I was climbing the walls. She's 3 now and I'm still v close with mums I met there and we hang out with the kids all the time. Dd has benefitted immeasurably from it and has about 6 v close play mates she sees several times a week. Dd and one of the little boys are v best friends and are v attached to each other. I and she would have missed so much of we hadn't bitten the bullet.

GimmeIrnBru Mon 08-Oct-12 19:02:37

I've been to a couple and both times they've been very cliquey. Have tried going for a few weeks but really did not feel comfortable with it all. That was a few years ago now though.

Have heard of this happening to other mums too so I do know it's not a 'just me' thing.

nailak Mon 08-Oct-12 16:24:31

The ones I go to are not cliquey places at all.

I attend regularly, have been doing so for a couple of years, and make effort to be nice to new parents, welcoming etc.

If a place is cliquey it is easy to change it...

GimmeIrnBru Mon 08-Oct-12 15:32:56

They tend to be rather clique-y places, so I tend to avoid them. I can't stand cliques.

dogindisguise Mon 08-Oct-12 15:30:19

About 11 months as I imagined they were only for toddling children (though DS was only crawling at that point). I was surprised to see younger babies there, and not just the ones accompanying their older siblings. They're a good way of getting out of the house. DS really enjoys them, though I think would have been less bothered when he was six months old.

Before that I went to a Bumps and Babies group occasionally, Baby Sensory, Sing and Sign, Bounce and Rhyme at the library and a 0-6 months postnatal group.

Mikyahrose Sat 06-Oct-12 05:32:11

I've been going for about 6 weeks but my baby is only 5 days old.
I moved in April, and didn't manage to find a job, so thought it would be s good way to meet people. And it certainly has been. Made a few new friends already. Took new baby in on thurs this week too. smile

ZuleikaD Thu 04-Oct-12 12:10:05

DD is 3.4 and DS is 2.10 and I've still never been to one. I hate the things and couldn't see how they'd benefit either of us.

gourd Thu 04-Oct-12 10:09:17

Never did. Had such a great time doing my own thing on mat leave that never felt any inclination to go to one. The Sure Start children's centre I went to for anti natal classes did not fill me with confidence that I'd 'fit in' with anyone there once I'd had LO and I had my own friends (some retired, so were around during the day) to go and see anyway. I started taking LO to our local library song and story time at 5MO but sadly that had to stop when i had to go back to work when she was 10MO. It was good though, nice for her to hear others sing (not just me all the time) and to see other kids of different ages. She had great concentration, despite being the youngest there, and several years younger than some of the others, which the librarian reading the stories always found very funny! Of course this all changes once they start being mobile and they're not a 'captive' audience an more! LOs CM takes her to two playgroups though and of course there are other kids, some younger, some older than her at CMs, so she gets plenty of interaction.

JellicleCat Thu 04-Oct-12 00:27:05

About 3.5 months. I met a lot of friends, Great way to meet other Mums.

MoelFammau Thu 04-Oct-12 00:21:14

17 months on and I've so far not set foot in one. Not a group type, that's all.

Fairylea Wed 03-Oct-12 22:20:33

Never.

Well actually I went once and hated it so much I never went back.

Dd is 9 now and very popular and sociable so I don't think it's done her any harm !

When dd was about 4 weeks. I was lonely and wanted to meet other local parents.

ceeveebee Wed 03-Oct-12 22:07:18

About 6 months, when they could sit up properly, as tricky to manage two othereise (twins). Before then I just used to meet with other mothers eg NCT friends, twin network friends for walks, lunch, coffee etc.

I think they are better for older babies (crawling/walking) as they can use the big toys like rideons. I always found the baby area at playgroups to be full of broken toys and things that were not quite as nice as at home so why bother!

lola88 Wed 03-Oct-12 21:58:14

I went abotu 7 weeks i loved it and so did DS. When he was tiny would just watch everyone and now he's 8 months and loves to play with the toys and see all the people, since they all know him he gets lots of attention which he basks in smile I know a lot of people say it doesn't matter for babies but mine enjoys it so much and i think it has done him good to be around other people and children.

I met 1 really good friend there a few nice people and some others who i'm not overly friendly with but i will say hi too. It's a nice to sit and talk to people who are where you are not someone who had xyz problem 10 years ago. Just don't go expecting to be friends with everyone and you'll be fine.

poppy283 Wed 03-Oct-12 21:55:18

As soon as Dd stopped having her nap at the time they were all on! So about 14 months

MarjorieAntrobus Wed 03-Oct-12 21:48:03

I went when DC1 was 9 weeks old because I was bored and lonely. I thought it might operate like a cocktail party ie everybody bright and chirpy and ready to chat. Actually it was incredibly cliquey and unfriendly.

The lovely leader (vicar's wife) whom I already knew made it bearable and she introduced me to some other friendly types.

It was fine in the end, but not at all what I expected. DC1 is nearly 22 now, btw.

ConstantCraving Wed 03-Oct-12 21:27:39

Begrudgingly started going now DD is 2.9 - she seems as disinterested in them as I am. No point going with a baby really - unless you want the company. They won't get much out of it til they are much older and really don't need to go there for stimulation - they get more from being read to, sung to, taken to see the ducks etc..

Bigwheel Wed 03-Oct-12 18:58:30

About 3 weeks for the local baby groups, massage, music ones etc aimed at under 1s. About 3 months for swimming groups, and around a year for your more active toddler groups. I know there not everyone's cup of tea but I would of gone mad in the house all day, it's also a great way of making new friends. Why not give it a go, say for 4 weeks to give it a chance and see what you think?

AngelDog Wed 03-Oct-12 17:41:14

11 months as that was when I could get DS to nap in the pram on the way, but if he'd slept on the move sooner I'd have gone from birth, which lots of people I know do.

MillyStar Wed 03-Oct-12 13:51:12

My daughter is 5 months and we've been going for about a month

There's a baby section with play gyms etc which she loves as they are different to the two we have at home, she loves just sitting on my knee watching the older kids aswell, they do half an hour of singing at the end and she smiles at all the other mums and the songs which is really cute.

It's good for you aswell as it gets you chatting to other mums

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 03-Oct-12 13:41:54

After about 6 weeks. Most playgroups have bouncy chairs for small babies and toys and you get some adult company and usually a cuppa too.

Have a look to see if your local nct has a group that meets up in your area too. Usually the groups are smaller and you get to meet local mums with babies about the same age as yours.

Don't go if you don't want to though, they aren't compulsory and there are so many other things you can do with LO like music groups/swimming/free library sessions/tumble tots etc plus all the stuff you can do at home.

grin at Fliss.

Firawla Wed 03-Oct-12 12:32:30

dc1 when he was about 1 year old, after that i wished i had started taking him younger but like you i thought its for bigger ones (ie toddlers not babies)

dc2 i took pretty much soon as he was born, as i was going with dc1 anyway

dc3 soon as he was born too, but hardly going at the moment

if you want to give it a try i would try to find under 1s stay and play it will be good for your babies age, and nice to sit and chat with other mums.its more relaxing than the mixed age if you have only the 1 young one

beela Wed 03-Oct-12 12:29:20

We started at around 8 months I think, when he started paying attention to other children.

But remember that you are in charge and not your mother - don't go if you don't want to!

GragPop Wed 03-Oct-12 07:42:53

7 months, mil takes him.

nailak Tue 02-Oct-12 23:08:51

as young as poss i say, babies love being there, watching the kids etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now