What are your toddlers going to have for tea please?

(57 Posts)

Inspiration fail....

Pinner35 Tue 02-Oct-12 14:25:11

My DD's have got salmon fishcakes and peas, followed by bananas and custard. DH and I are having leftover chicken satay from DD's dinner yesterday (cos I made loads!) Recipe here - not yet met a child who doesn't like it.

TheOnlyPersonInTheRoom Tue 02-Oct-12 14:25:14

Beef Stew with some tiger bread. Fresh fruit for pudding.

SomebodySaveMe Tue 02-Oct-12 14:26:10

The chip shop blush

In my defence we are moving at the weekend and I've spent the day clearing vast amounts of shite and quite frankly don't have space in the kitchen to cook. They will be eating the slattern dinner on a blanket on the floor as I've buried the dining table blush

I am making notes of other peoples lovely sounding meals for non crappy parenting nights!

debka Tue 02-Oct-12 14:27:11

Spag bol tonight.

Cauliflower risotto tomorrow (DCs favourite).

Sausage, chips and beans Thurs.

Baked spanish risotto Friday.

anairofhope Tue 02-Oct-12 14:29:03

My dd is allergic to egg and dairy so im finding it hard to sort meals we can all eat so it basic meat potato and veg with furit as dessert sad

Nat38 Tue 02-Oct-12 14:30:54

Home made pizza-making pizza dough in bread maker for the first timegrin

valbona Tue 02-Oct-12 14:35:32

pasta and veg sauce (peppers, courgette, aubergine all mixed up with chopped tomatoes and cooked for ages until it becomes yummy), grated cheese on top, fromage frais or two for pudding.
it's either that or "bolognese" ...

mintymellons Tue 02-Oct-12 14:37:50

2.5yo and 7 yo will be having baked potato, beans and frankfurters - DD1 has after school club til 4pm then Rainbows at 5pm so tea needs to be quick!

choceyes Tue 02-Oct-12 14:40:13

DCs 2 and 4 will be having salmon with some kind of stir fried rice and veg thing.

last night slow cooked pork shoulder in apple and cream sauce with pasta shells and peas.cucumber and tom salad in yoghurt dressing. fruit. tonight either spaghetti carbonara no cream method or chicky pea soup. a lifesaver. more of a stew. soften chopped onions, falf rasher finely chopped bacon then carrots celery and any veg you need to use up. add one clove garlic. cont cooking two three mins. add can chopped toms and can chick peas and season with tbs vinegar pinch sugar and salt and pepper. add dried or fresh herbs. small sprig rosemary works well or oregano. cook medium heat r0 mins. squeeze lemon . you can also stir in bit of yoghurt if you want.

ZuleikaD Tue 02-Oct-12 14:53:19

Pasta with butter and Marmite.

DinosaursOnASpaceship Tue 02-Oct-12 15:15:56

Popcorn chicken and grapes hmm - he is having a fussy stage.

He loves anything with a lot of flavour - curry, spag bol, chilli, prawn toast, but won't eat pasta, potatoes, cheese, most veg, meat other than mince, eggs, anything in a tin with tomato sauce. He loves fruit and porridge though. And is mad on sausages.

forevergreek Tue 02-Oct-12 15:20:20

They had lasagne for lunch. Thinking welsh raebbit for dinner ( fancy cheese on bagels really), with some veggies

COCKadoodledooo Tue 02-Oct-12 15:35:57

Sausage and lentil casserole with baked potato, same as the rest of us. Can't be doing with separate meals. Yesterday was chilli, Thursday will be roast chicken (nowt tomorrow because it's a long work day and he'll eat at nursery).

JollyToddler Tue 02-Oct-12 17:27:20

He is actually having pitta bread, carrots and humous as he refused the nice tea provided. Humph.

seabuckthorn Tue 02-Oct-12 17:32:51

Tonight's offering was jacket potato with low salt and sugar baked beans with cheese.
Followed by fruit and raisins.

Yesterday was beef stew followed by porridge and banana

QTPie Tue 02-Oct-12 17:38:19

Homemade Chicken Korma, new potatoes, broccoli (not a huge fan of rice yet - hilarious since he is half Chinese grin ).

Grapes for dessert.

trudat Tue 02-Oct-12 17:41:42

Just had pb and banana sandwich with squeezy yoghurt and a satsuma for afters.

Been at a playdate so had to be something quick and it was what ds 2.10 asked for. Dd 1.3 is less opinionated.

They did have homemade chicken and brocolli lasagne for lunch and ate their weight in grapes and quavers at my friends, so I don't feel at all guilty.

Love the amount of responses, thank you everyone! Galvanised myself to do a batch of Thai green curry in the end and now I have ideas in the bank for weeks to come!

smile

trixie123 Wed 03-Oct-12 10:48:06

jealous of all the posts that include veg. Can't get DS to eat any straightforward veg. I can sometimes get away with mashing broccoli or carrot into potato but increasingly less so. I bake carrot and courgette muffins but he susses those out after one or two sad. All the kids cookery books go on about toddlers loving colourful bright veg but mine just removes it from the plate and eats all the brown and yellow food. OP, he usually has egg, cheese toastie, chicken / salmon with mash, pasta and pesto, spag bol (with carrot grated in - desperate measures) etc. he has a hot lunch three x a week at the CM so its easier those days.

FeralGirlCambs Wed 03-Oct-12 11:42:22

Moroccan lamb and lentil stew, leftover from ours last night, with broccoli. But my problem is getting her to eat anything hot, or even off-cold. She's 15 mo. Any ideas?

Feral - is the problem that she'll only have cold food - crackers, sandwiches etc - or that she'll eat any food so long as it's cold e.g. mashed potato and gravy.

If it's the latter, just let her get on with it and offer to warm the food slightly as she gets older so she has a choice about the temperature of her food. Has she been fed anything which was too hot and put her off?

FeralGirlCambs Wed 03-Oct-12 12:21:20

Thanks Fire for replying. She will eat any (well quite a lot) of food if it's cold but spits it out if it's even lukewarm. I don't think she's had anything that was too hot. Am bad mother if so because I didn't notice. It just seems a bit yuck to eat, e.g cold scrambled egg!

Yum JollyToddler!!!!
Tonight's delights are:
Brixham plaice, mashed potato with a spoonful of Philly stirred in, carrots & green beans.
Half a banana & a spoonful of custard for pud.
He had cauliflower soup plus cheese, bread & fruit at lunchtime so don't expect he'll eat it all!!

We have to disguise veg quite a lot too btw. Ds will not eat anything that looks like veg ie crudités, salad stuff, unmashed veggies. He will eat anything if it's hidden in gravy, spud, rice & sauce etc so his diet is fortunately pretty balanced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now