Advantages of only having 2 children

(65 Posts)

I have 2 children, a 3.2yo DD and 8mo DS. DH and I always wanted a big family but for a number of reasons it looks like this may be it for us. Obviously I appreciate that we are lucky to have our two, but I am struggling to come to terms with the idea that DS will probably be my last baby.

So I thought I'd draw up a list of reasons why only having 2 children is a good thing. So far I've got:

Easier to buy cars
Easier and cheaper to go on holidays
Loads of food comes in packs of 4

And that's it. Are there any more?

MistressIggi Tue 18-Sep-12 18:28:11

You can take one each.

Mellower Tue 18-Sep-12 18:28:48

Oh and you have a girl and a boy that's nice!
Less bedrooms needed
Less clothing needed (although if same sex good for handing down)
Less children to worry about? grin

MistressIggi Tue 18-Sep-12 18:29:02

..As in take them somewhere, but also take charge of one each to get them ready etc.

Mellower Tue 18-Sep-12 18:31:29

Oh I was thinking more in terms of seperating: "here you take that one...." grin (sorry)

So was I Mellower! grin

That's true about the bedrooms, we live in a 2 bedroom flat so would have to move if we had another baby.

Snog Tue 18-Sep-12 18:35:02

Traditional thing is to get a puppy instead wink

Mellower Tue 18-Sep-12 18:35:29

Yes, there is that, although when your girl and boy are older you will have to move anyway. Well we do in Scotland, even though I have 2 boys because one is over 12 we need a bigger house.

<sits back and waits on council offering something which is not total scum in worst street ever>

Mellower Tue 18-Sep-12 18:36:31

Oh or a cat!!! Or a hamster or they even do in-door bunnies these days, they are very cute!! grin

greenhill Tue 18-Sep-12 18:37:43

You can hold each one by the hand when you are out. If you had three you would needs reins / a pushchair or another another person with you

Donkeysdontridebicycles Tue 18-Sep-12 18:41:33

As things stand you have the Best dd ever and the Best ds ever, having a 3rd dc will rock that boat a bit... (didn't know how much I wanted a 3rd child until my dh had the snip, sorry that's not helping is it?).

lovechoc Tue 18-Sep-12 18:44:17

Hand for each child.
Only have to go through pregnancy and childbirth twice.
For most people, it means not having to move house so the children can each have a bedroom.
You can move on with your life, get more freedom as they get older.
Christmas is cheaper if you have two children than it is for three children. Ditto, birthdays.
You will only ever have two pairs of shoes to buy at a time as they get older (think of the teenage years that lie ahead). That in itself is expensive, can you imagine doing that with 3+??
Holidays are easier, logistically. If going abroad, you've only two passports to buy (even that alone isn't cheap!). Hotels easier to book with only two children.
Food deals much easier with 2 adults and 2 children. Gets complicated the larger the family you have.
You only have two sets of homework to help out with as they become school aged. I find it a challenge and I've only got my eldest at school this year!
You can get back to work sooner, or start a new career as your two children grow independent in years to come.
When you sort out your Wills, you only have to divide your inheritance between two children, not three or more (which must get very complicated). Means each of your children inherit more money as there's only two of them.
Grandparents need to be considered if they're local and help out with childcare. Much more likely to find they'll be comfortable looking after your two children than they would with three children.
Babysitters are easier to come by when you only have two children. Much more manageable number for most people.
You only have one pair of hands - one for each child!

AngryFeet Tue 18-Sep-12 18:44:42

3 is an odd number so one might get left out. Anythign more than 3 is more than my mind could possibly cope with (kudos to those who manage it!).

I love having 2. I have the same gap as you and they are best buddies. Now 8 and 5.5 and they entertain each other all day long so I can get on with other things.

nappydaysagain Tue 18-Sep-12 18:46:19

You have 2 hands so easier to hold theirs when you are out. Err I'm sure there are lots of good reasons (I've got 3 though grin)

Mellower Tue 18-Sep-12 18:47:31

I would quite like another one. If it slept throughout the night and fed itself and changed itself, took itself walks etc.

No in fact I wouldn't mind the walks too much!

These are all brilliant, thank you! smile

lovechoc Tue 18-Sep-12 18:52:02

Oops, mentioned the same pro twice! Oh well, it is true!grin

When you read a story or watch a film together you can have one snuggled up under each arm. The throw from the sofa will fit you all. The popcorn bowl can be reached by all. No 3rd/4th etc children left out. Everyone snuggled together. Perfect.

throckenholt Tue 18-Sep-12 18:57:51

The world (or at least the UK) caters for 2 kid families - we have 3 and it does cause hassles sometimes. It is obviously cheaper to have fewer kids. You can take one each and give more individual attention. Sometimes 2 play better than 3 (although that isn't much of an issue with mine - depends as much on personality as numbers).
Some people find bigger families intimidating so you get invited en masse less often.

We recently went through the process of deciding to get another dog - it came down to more cost and more hassle versus because we want one. I think it is the same with another child. Lots of reasons not to, but none of them matter much if you really want one - you will cope if you have to.

lovechoc Tue 18-Sep-12 19:04:57

That's true about a very significant factor of having only two children - you have more time with each of them than you would if you had three.

lovechoc Tue 18-Sep-12 19:06:26

I went through a phase of wanting three but realise that's all it was - a phase! Reality hit me hard when I realised how expensive it was with only the two of them!

upinthehills Tue 18-Sep-12 19:07:15

Two hands, two kids...

that's my mantra!

And we can all fit in one hotel room and nobody is on their own on the plane/train....

Mellower Tue 18-Sep-12 19:07:33

I am one of 3, my elder sibling, resents me, I resent my younger sibling and I have no idea what the younger sibling thinks, he is too perfect, oops. grin

Thank you all. I still want at least one more baby but I guess in time I'll get over it. You've made some really helpful points, thank you. smile

Brices Tue 18-Sep-12 20:30:10

Your time and attention won't be as divided

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now