Fatally Flawed

(19 Posts)
trevthesparky Sat 04-Aug-12 12:56:44

Hi guys, I'm an electrician and I'm here to draw your attention to a campaign that the industry has been putting a lot of effort into. The campaign homepage is at http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/
The gist of it is that many plug in devices eg socket covers, air fresheners etc are inherently dangerous and should be regulated
Please take the time to read through it and if you agree with our aims please support us by signing our epetition at
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/36699
And spread the word to your friends and through facebook, twitter etc
As you will see from the homepage we have the support of Adam Hart Davis, a well respected broadcaster and engineer.
Thanks for taking the time to read so far

Smurfy1 Sat 04-Aug-12 21:14:39

Fantastic just signed the petition

SecrectFarleysNibbler Sun 05-Aug-12 11:54:45

Just read the web page and was gob smacked! You think you are doing the right thing buying these - just been and removed them all. Thanks for the heads up - will sign the petition too.

ZuleikaD Sun 05-Aug-12 12:10:06

trev if you come back - what do you do if you have a mixture of old and new sockets? Getting down on hands and knees I can't see the 'shutters' inside some of the older ones (live in a Victorian house) - are they still safer without covers?

CarolinesDad Sun 05-Aug-12 13:49:56

The shutters were an essential part of the design when the flat-pin BS 1363 socket was introduced in back in 1947! Unless you have old round pin sockets (for which no one makes socket covers) then your sockets will have shutters

FatallyFlawed has an FAQ about checking if theshutters are working which you may find helpful. www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/html/faq.html#Q10

Modern round pin sockets, which are still occasionally used in the UK, also have shutters.

trevthesparky Mon 06-Aug-12 13:18:17

ZuleikaD. I'm keeping an eye on the threads I have posted in loads od different forums. If you have a mix of old and new sockets you may also have old wiring. If the shutters are not there or are stuck in the open position you have very easy access to live parts which obviously isn't good. The best thing to do is get a local electrician to carry out an electrical installation condition report. This involves a visual inspection of the general condition of your installation and a full spectrum of tests, whereabouts roughly are you? I'm a member of an electricians forum which has members all over the country, I can get someone to contact you here

ZuleikaD Mon 06-Aug-12 13:37:36

We do have old wiring - none of the lighting on the first floor is earthed (is that the right way to put it?).

I didn't realise the shutters could get stuck open (think I'll keep the socket covers in the ones where I can't see the shutters!) and I will definitely call my electrician. Thanks.

trevthesparky Mon 06-Aug-12 18:27:18

That is the right terminology ZuleikaD but that's not a problem as long as certain things are in place. Do you have any metal light fittings on that circuit?
Make sure you get someone reputable, some of the less scrupulous of my brethren will enter the property, look at an old consumer unit and say rewire which may or may not be true. Don't get your electrician from Rated People or Myhammer or any other sites like that as there are an awful lot of shysters on them, there are good people but there are few good sparks that I know would even entertain the thought of using those sites.

trevthesparky Thu 09-Aug-12 14:30:03

Keep up the signatures on the petition guys and thanks to all who have done so far

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Fri 10-Aug-12 11:29:38

Bumping this. I work with safety standards and this is a pet rant with me grin

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Fri 10-Aug-12 11:30:48

Relinking:

Petition

Fatally Flawed site

trevthesparky Fri 10-Aug-12 21:06:44

Slightlysuperiorpeasant, as this is your field of reference maybe you can help. We're trying to get RosPA onside but they want stats which are pretty impossible to get. We know they can cause fires but by the time the firefighters get there these damned things have melted together with the socket fronts. If we can get stats we can get RosPA in on it, once they are with us their days are numbered.
Are you aware of any reliable sources because we're coming up blank

trevthesparky Fri 10-Aug-12 21:07:27

I forgot my manners, thanks for the bumpsmile

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 10-Aug-12 21:13:31

Another bump.

I got given loads of these when I was pregnant, and some many people seem to think they are a crucial part of "baby proofing"

RandomMess Fri 10-Aug-12 21:15:51

bumping too

Molehillmountain Sat 11-Aug-12 08:45:18

Great campaign! I hope it gets loads of publicity as the baby proofing industry has made it the accepted norm to cover sockets.

Molehillmountain Sat 11-Aug-12 08:53:38

Petition signed. smile

CarpeJugulum Sat 11-Aug-12 09:02:24

We bought socket boxes that clip over our sockets and are designed to stop kids pulling plugs out. We now have them on most sockets as DS is a bit of an experimenter with forks, spoons and sockets hmm

Recommended by our local sparky.

FatallyFlawed Tue 05-Jul-16 15:09:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now