Sand-eating babies

(12 Posts)
darkfever Wed 04-Jul-12 21:16:57

We sat 10 month old DS down on the beach for the first time yesterday, and he spent most of the time grabbing big handfuls of sand and trying to eat it. DH & I spent most of the time trying to stop him eating sand.

How quickly do babies figure out that sand isn't fun to eat?

The in-laws live very close to a beach, and it'd be nice to take DS on it without worrying about him eating all the beach!

CBear6 Wed 04-Jul-12 21:57:00

DS is almost 3yo and he still has a sneaky taste now and then. I think they pass the double-handfuls-shovelling-it-in phase after the first couple of trips grin

notnowbernard Wed 04-Jul-12 21:59:46

DD2 used to do this loads as a baby

The contents of her nappy were shocking - shit like ballast, we could've rented her out as a brickie's mate grin

NorbertDentressangle Wed 04-Jul-12 22:02:12

Don't worry -he'll move onto chomping on big pebbles next when he gets bored of the sand wink

GoodButNotOutstanding Wed 04-Jul-12 22:04:05

Dd1 used to eat sand. I think after the first couple of trips to the beach and the resulting nappies she stopped eating so much but would still put her hands in her mouth covered in sand.

shrimponastick Wed 04-Jul-12 22:06:17

DS loved it too. Most memorable in Tenerife, with black sand smeared all over his face. Took a couple of years for him to get fed up.

darkfever Wed 04-Jul-12 22:22:40

I'm hoping he stops after the first couple of trips rather than a few years! smile

Nagoo Wed 04-Jul-12 22:30:07

Baby Goo will neck as much as she can at 19MO.

She literally shits bricks on occasion.

I won't take Ds to the beach or sand park unless I have DH to watch her.

5madthings Wed 04-Jul-12 22:31:51

my dd is 18mths and we were at the beach last wkend, she has been a good few times and STILL eats the sand! her nappies are always revolting after a trip to the beach! she also tries to eat the pebbles! tbh tho she will eat anything grin

they do grow out of it, my elder ones dont do it anymore, cant remember when they stopped tho!

Babylon1 Wed 04-Jul-12 22:32:15

We had some of the ballast nappies with dd2 - brought a whole new meaning to "shitting a brick" grin

LakeFlyPie Wed 04-Jul-12 22:32:35

The novelty wore off after a few weeks for DS2, the shock of his nappies stayed with me for a bit longer grin

JollyGoodFun Wed 04-Jul-12 22:37:16

Ds puts gravel in his mouth all the time. He's done it since January. We have gravel in our back garden. There does not seem to be a way to stop him. It's very absentminded - he does it when he forgets not to. So I've given up. At some point he'll grow out of it. He's 14 months currently. Hopefully by summer 2014 he'll have a bit more sense.

He is my pfb. I truly worry about the level of neglect subsequent children are going to suffer if pfb is allowed to eat gravel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now