Head lice! Done Hedrin, need advice!

(33 Posts)
Molehillmountain Mon 30-Apr-12 11:32:58

Last night I treated our family with Hedrin-the two smalls with once fifteen minute gel and the rest of us with the eight hour repeat after a week stuff. But there still seem to be beasties in ds's hair. Might they be dead ones or do I need to treat again?

KatAndKit Mon 28-May-12 11:30:21

Don't bother with Lyclear. The little buggers appear to be resistant to it.

Solo Mon 28-May-12 11:35:38
MrsB1 Mon 28-May-12 11:42:40

Best way I have found is to comb thru with conditioner and a really good lice comb, every 4 dasy for 2 weeks. This breaks the life cycle by removing them as they hatch and before they have chance to lay more eggs.
I have tried everything and this really is the ONLY thing that has worked

mumandtwo Mon 28-May-12 18:21:18

The brown eggs ARE the live ones and the white are just the empty cases. Recently I have used "Hedrin ONCE" on my children and it did work in one go with nitty gritty comb too.
In the past, I was recommended tea-tree and vodka (yes vodka!). It worked sooooo well!! I asked my doctor if it was ok and he said it was, as some nit lotions have alcohol in anyway and would probably be less harmful than the chemicals in most nit lotions.
You just mix up a spray bottle with vodka and loads of tea-tree and coat the scalp and hair. leave on for 3 hours wearing a shower cap. Repeat 3 times every three days. Works a treat!
I don't use it anymore as I find that "Hedrin ONCE" works so well and much more quickly, though it is soooo greasy!!!
Several of my friends still use the vodka treatment and swear by it.
Obviously if you were thinking about the vodka way, consult your doc first...

VivaLeBeaver Mon 28-May-12 18:30:54

Chrissiem, what do you think about ivermectin tablets. I know they're not licensed here but they are in America and are meant to work well.

branston Tue 28-Aug-12 18:39:36

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

frayededges Fri 31-Aug-12 20:38:12

i have a battery operated comb that zaps the beggars. you can tell because the buzzing stops every time one comes into contact the comb teeth. it works a treat and no chemicals and no scalp damage. smile

headlicebuster Wed 27-Mar-13 22:10:24

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now