Whats the strangest baby gift you've received?

(37 Posts)
scaryfairy28 Mon 01-Aug-11 12:13:01

Skipping rope
New born rain coat

Andie20521 Mon 01-Aug-11 12:33:48

Wall paper which had been taken down from the house where my inlaws lived in Mexico as missionaries 10 years ago!

PadmeHum Mon 01-Aug-11 12:41:56

a tin of Boots own baby formula blush

An adult-sized woolly hat confused

ellesabe Mon 01-Aug-11 12:56:36

A second-hand clothes brush to remove bobbles/fluff from baby's clothes

LearningFast Tue 02-Aug-11 06:49:32

A beany toy, labelled as a mouse, which looks very much like a real live rat...

This was a maternity gift from my work colleagues and it's still in my living room, although I have vowed to return it to the shop it came from before DC1 is born (I'm 36+ weeks).

It's is simply too hideous for a new born to see, let alone the issues with them potentially chewing on beanie parts...

twolittlekittens Tue 02-Aug-11 06:53:24

A jar of home made lime pickle, hot enough to blast your head off.

Octaviapink Tue 02-Aug-11 12:36:04

Three pairs of opaque tights and a towel.

Woodlands Wed 03-Aug-11 13:46:49

twolittlekittens, lime pickle was my pregnancy craving, so that would have been a great present for me before the baby came!

We didn't have any really odd ones. We have just had DS's first birthday and he now has four money boxes, including a Terramundi one which you can only get the money out of by smashing - not ideal for a small child!

Primafacie Wed 03-Aug-11 19:06:40

A bottle of (women's) D&G perfume, and a sari with a stain on it.

SunSoakedStone Wed 03-Aug-11 23:49:14

A MASSIVE bottle of rum grin

Sewmuchtodo Wed 03-Aug-11 23:55:54

A pink fleece romper suit........my SON was born in JULY!

Beveridge Thu 04-Aug-11 00:00:33

A quilted snow suit, age 3-6 months. DS was born in April.

Also, it's not a weird present as such but what is it with the thousands and thousands of cloth bibs everyone buys you?!

LittlePushka Thu 04-Aug-11 00:16:56

An extremely sharp, silver (coloured) letter opener,... might as well have been a dagger!!!!

Fantail Thu 04-Aug-11 11:00:29

Beveridge - I know what you mean about the cloth bibs - we ended up with 20 of them!

DD ended up with two sets of fleece outfits (3-6 months, born in March), 3 fluffy toy lambs, a really huge fleece bib (big enough almost for an adult!).

AlmaMartyr Thu 04-Aug-11 11:03:50

Someone bought DH a fillet steak as a treat for him. Nothing for me or DC.

A tin of SMA hungry baby formula... We used Aptamil.
Shorts and a t shirt set that my auntie had bothered to send all the way from America, but in 6-9 months ( ds was born in may and was 6-9 months in November- February!). It's a shame as they've never been worn and of course I couldn't take them back and swap them for the right size. Also received a short sleeved and legged romper suit in 6-9 months, but was able to swap that for 0-3 months and then it was very useful for hot days smile

Chloejp91 Fri 05-Aug-11 15:23:02

stained second-hand clothes which most items weren't even washed!! Oh and to top it off, given(thrown) to me in a bin bag! For a newborn?

I of course said thank you, but that was because it saved me the trouble of putting them in a bin bag myself.

I was totally offended. I thought I got over it.. Clearly not.

saldoozer Sat 06-Aug-11 15:19:03

Know what you mean about the bibs. We also have several swimming costumes in 0-3 months. Most pools round here won't let her in till 6 months hmm

TanyaBranning Sat 06-Aug-11 15:20:56

Weird frog candle holders (dunno 'bout you, but I wasn't about to start lighting candles all over my newborns room!?!).

I also got a 'congrats you've had baby!' gift from an elderly woman neighbour - a pair of fishnight tights 4 sizes too small and a weeny little leather belt. Random!

TheArmadillo Sun 07-Aug-11 15:11:24

a jar of extra strong marmite (limited edition I think). It was my favourite present grin

TheMonster Sun 07-Aug-11 15:16:34

We got an Asda bath sheet. It doesn't seem so odd compared to the fishnet tights.

My batty aunt presented us with a bundle of straw "I got it from the manger in the cathedral. You should rub it on the baby's head for luck"
I didn't know whether to laugh at the sheer craziness or be outraged that she thought it would be ok to steal from a church for superstition!

TheMonster Sun 07-Aug-11 19:59:37

Did you rub it on the baby's on just in case?

No way! I was sleep deprived but not completely crazy. Goodness knows where it had been and what germs were on it. I binned it at my earliest convenience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now