ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

How to teach a child to wipe their own bottom?

(10 Posts)
vnmum Wed 23-Mar-11 14:39:56

I know this may sound like a simple and daft question, but what is the best way to teach a child to wipe their own bottom and make sure that it is clean enough without obviously doing it yourself?

DS is nearly 5 1/2 and still shouts us to wipe his bum. I have tried showing him how to do it and then getting him to do it first and then finishing off for him but we always seem to end up back at square one with me doing it for him and i think he is definately old enough to be doing it himself. If he has been to the loo at school he will come back with stains in his pants so i know he either isn't attempting to wipe or just not doing it fully.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved as i can then use it on DD (3 1/2) too

kw13 Wed 23-Mar-11 16:15:44

Bump. Hope someone comments on this as I am really interested to know too! My DS is 4.5 and starts school this September.

vnmum Wed 23-Mar-11 17:21:16

bump

Shipscat Wed 23-Mar-11 17:25:16

Bump for me too!

loonyrationalist Wed 23-Mar-11 17:26:20

dd1 is 4.5 & is nearly there - she can do it but is often not as thorough as she should be - especially when keen to be back playing etc hmm Only way I have found is by supervision; encouraging her to do it herself & lots of praise when she does do it well.

silverfrog Wed 23-Mar-11 17:30:39

we are just going through this with dd2 as well.

<sigh>

guaranteed tht she come shome form pre-school with dirty pants form not wiping properly.

we are (very slowly obv grin) teaching her to wipe, chuck in loo, use another piece, wipe again, etc until the paper comes away clean.

mind you, for some reason she was convinced she should only use one square of toilet paper hmm - no idea where she got that idea from! and if she tore off 2 squares by mistake, she chucked that on the floor, and got another piece - she is clearly bonkers...

this could be a long road, I feel...

clarabella18 Wed 23-Mar-11 18:06:57

Ds has been wiping his own bottom since about 51/2 unfortunately not always very well, especially with the rubbish loo paper they have at school.

The wet toilet wipes really helped IMO I encouraged him to use a couple of them and finish off with the normal loo roll to make sure all is clean.

He's now 9 and does ok most of the time but we still have skiddy pants on occasion, but that could just be a boy thing! hmm

vnmum Wed 23-Mar-11 18:19:53

At least I'm not the only one with this question smile
Thanks for the replies. It seems i'm just going to have to be patient and not give into his whinging saying he can't do it himself

quickchat Wed 23-Mar-11 19:27:45

Damn. My boy is nearly 4 and I hate wiping his bum now. Id rather change DD's (15 months), very smelly nappy than wipe a bum hmm. Just too real!

Anyway, was just wondering the other day when I could start leaving him to it but I can imagine they probably never have clean bums until they are interested in girls!

Our DD was a shocker for not finishing her poo properly so she would come home from school with a gusset that looked like a ploughed field. She was so busy wanting to get back to playing she didn't do a proper job.
For us the thing that worked was reinforcing the idea that you really had to get it all out and then bending over to touch her toes to ensure good access.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now