What do 6 year old girls like?

(16 Posts)
lulabelle Fri 11-Mar-11 13:30:48

I need to buy a present for a girl who will be 6, I have all boys and no idea what girls are into. All ideas will be gratefully received after a very unsuccessful shopping morning!

chocolateshoes Fri 11-Mar-11 13:38:25

i'm no expert as have DS but I always buy girls stuff from Accessorize eg bags, hair stuff, funky tights etc

Fennel Fri 11-Mar-11 13:40:58

my 3 girls all like a lot of the same things that boys like - they aren't a separate species. (2 of my dds loathe hair bobbles or girly stuff, don't assume all girls are into frilly accessories).

Mine at 6 have liked art and craft stuff, games, lego, playmobil, geomag, messy stuff like dinosaur swamp kits, science kits, puzzle books, skateboards and accessories.

Loopymumsy Fri 11-Mar-11 14:09:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eileenslightlytotheleft Fri 11-Mar-11 14:33:32

Animals. Pink and princesses are out in my house, and animals and blue are in. As are all factual books - Usborne is great for these - science kits, sticker books. Arts and crafts are always a winner with my girls.

Alwaysworthchecking Fri 11-Mar-11 14:38:25

At 6 (she's now 7.5) dd was just outgrowing princesses and growing into High School Musical and Hannah Montana. She loved stuff for her hair, bags, books (Rainbow Magic goes down well with that age group), stationery (notebooks have always been received gladly). She's always been happy with a Barbie. GoGos and Silly Banz are very 'in' at the moment.

Hope that helps.

Alwaysworthchecking Fri 11-Mar-11 14:40:20

Oh - and she was and is into playing 'Spies' so a toy spy kit was both well-receivd and much envied by her friends. Skipping ropes also go down well as they are just starting to master it by this age.

Fennel Fri 11-Mar-11 15:05:07

I'm glad to hear Enchanted Forest is popular, I bought it for my 6yo dd's next birthday but don't really know if it's any good.

eileenslightlytotheleft Fri 11-Mar-11 15:29:49

A perfect gift would be a diary that you can lock. DD just got one and loves it. M&S does one, I think.

Dancergirl Fri 11-Mar-11 18:02:15

Polly Pocket, Hama beads, art/crafts sets, Barbie, Sylvanian Families, hair things

AnaS Fri 11-Mar-11 21:25:56

can't go wrong with a sparkly handbag and/or jewellery/hair bobbles from claires or accessorise depending on your budget.

PonceyMcPonce Fri 11-Mar-11 21:26:57

Books
Anything from bear factory
Stories on cd

Lilyloo Fri 11-Mar-11 21:31:42

Agree 6 is moving out of the princess stuff and into HSM or Hannah territory. My dd loves Build a bear , perfume, body spray lip gloss etc any clothes and hair , jewellery things etc
What about a nice jewellery box

duckyfuzz Fri 11-Mar-11 21:33:29

7yo twin girls here, a year ago they were into sylvanian families, yoohoo and friends toys, anything crafty, hair stuff, hama, secret diary etc (and still are!)

timetomove Fri 11-Mar-11 21:35:33

My DD likes talking cushions off the sofa and incorporating them into various games. It is her absolute favourite thing. And I don't just mean the scatter cushions, I also mean the bit you sit on and lean against. It is really quite uncomfortable to sit in our house. Not sure how that translates to a gift though.

I would buy hamma beads, zhu zhu hamster or ottoline books for a 6 yo girl I did not know that well.

popserinis Fri 11-Mar-11 21:39:40

As a parent of a DD (6), i would avoid jwellery and make up as they probably have it in abundance already.

My DD loves Aqua beads, Hama Beads, HSM (Hannah Montana a bit old for her yet), Hello Kitty, Nice (sparkly) nighties and PJ's, Zhu Zhu hamsters and being a bit of a girly girl, dolls, barbies and build a bear.

Can't go wrong with craft stuff really as it suits most kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now