Do IUGR babies ever catch up?

(22 Posts)
stillfrazzled Fri 04-Mar-11 09:58:54

Posted this in prem birth but is v quiet topic. DS2 born Jan 4 at 35+3 weighing 3lbs 5ozs due to IUGR. Had first check at hospital today and now 5lbs 10ozs and dr very pleased with him.

For some reason I'm so deflated and upset. Had hoped for more weight - only six oz in nine days and i'd just fed him.

Also now really worryimg that he will always be tiny. is improvement on worrying if he will survive, I know, but can anyone reassure or prepare me on what to expect?

homeboys Fri 04-Mar-11 10:05:48

Message withdrawn

stillfrazzled Fri 04-Mar-11 10:12:17

5.5 no, but he's now 3 weeks adjusted and below 0.4th centile. His big brother was totally average. Hosp said blood supply between us failed, and if they hadn't delivered he would have died within a week.

MollieO Fri 04-Mar-11 10:14:58

Ds was born at 33 weeks and was a good weight at 5lbs 3oz. He failed to thrive and took a long time to put on any weight. At two months he weighed 6lbs. He is now nearly 7 and one of the tallest in his class.

I can sympathise as when he was a baby I wondered if he would always be tiny.

stillfrazzled Fri 04-Mar-11 10:16:08

Sorry, sorting from phone. 5.5 at term no, was what I meant.

MollieO Fri 04-Mar-11 10:23:35

He's growing and putting on weight. Ds missed all his milestones and took a long time to get going. By the time he started school he had mostly caught up. The only issues he had was memory issues due to being prem and movement problems most likely due to being hypermobile.

The best advice I can give is to try and not compare with othe babies the same age. Easy to say but hard to do. I found I had to do it to keep my sanity and stop worrying. From birth to about 4 yrs Ds saw a cons paed every six weeks (on going health issues he had from birth). That meant I got regular reassurance which helped.

justabouthappy Fri 04-Mar-11 10:24:57

Yes, absolutely.

My DS had IUGR. He is now average. He's six. I had about two years of everyone clucking at me about how thin he was though.

Notbyalongchalk Fri 04-Mar-11 10:29:32

Babies and children grow at different rates. DS2 was born 28 weeks 1lb 10oz and took forever to grow, then at about 10 months (and the nutraprem really helped) he caught up - he is now within normal range.
My DS1 also had IUGR (32+5), is now 10 but very small - he is healthy and will probably catch up when ready (just lazy I think)
As long as your DS is putting on weight and happy/healthy then they will grow at their own rate, if the paed's not worried then you shouldn't be smile

Unwind Fri 04-Mar-11 11:25:21

My DD had IUGR - IIRC it took a few months for her even to get on the charts, and then she started slowly rising towards and up the chart. She is 2.2 years old now, and taller than most toddlers her age, but still has a slight build.

She was late hitting her milestones, but did hit them eventually. Her speech etc have really come on lately, and I've finally stopped worrying!

DD1 had IUGR - born at 5lb 1oz at 38 weeks. She was on or below the 0.4th centile for her first 3 months, then climbed to the 2nd for the next three. From 6 months to 12 months she went to 9th then 25th. She's now 2.5 years and pretty much exactly on the 50th. So it took ages (and I felt like hitting the next person to say to me "ooooh, she's very small ... is your breastmilk enough for her?") but we got there. We didn't use fortified formula but then I know she was not an extreme case of IUGR. We did feed her lots of cheese, butter, olive oil etc. after 6 months though, which seemed to help. I wish I hadn't worried as much as I did about her weight, to be honest. I'd go through the day either elated or distraught about that week's weigh in. If you can, remind yourself how much scales vary and look at the biweekly / monthly trends in weight rather than smaller intervals.

KateF Fri 04-Mar-11 11:53:12

When dd1 was born with IUGR I was told she should catch up by the time she was 2 and that was pretty accurate, she was on the 50th centile at 2 and now, at 11, seems roughly average for height and weight.When I see her dancing at festivals I always have a little tear remembering what a little scrap she was [daft mum emoticon]

solooovely Fri 04-Mar-11 12:36:15

What's IUGR?

mamasunshine Fri 04-Mar-11 12:40:09

Yes absolutely. I know it's a very stressful time, but really they can catch up very quickly.

Ds1 had IUGR, was delivered at 34 wks weighing 3lb 6oz. He didn't even get onto the growth charts until he was 18wks old and then flew up to the 50th centile by 26 wks. When I began weaning onto solids at 6months he dropped down to the 9th centile.

At 2.8yo he was back on the 50th centile. At 15months of age I noticed a HUGE leap in development and as though overnight he was suddenly doing everything 'on time', if not before his peers.

PandaNot Fri 04-Mar-11 12:41:34

Ds had IUGR, he was born 5lb 10oz at 42 weeks. He caught up to 'average' when he was about 5, he's still very thin though but perfectly healthy. We worried for a long time about getting him to eat enough calories but in the end realised that so long as he was actually putting weight on and was clearly thriving then there probably wasn't anything to worry about. He still appears to suffer if his blood sugar drops too low though, he needs to eat every couple of hours.

homeboys Fri 04-Mar-11 13:32:06

Message withdrawn

PavlovtheCat Fri 04-Mar-11 13:39:37

i think 0.5 lb is about average for 'average sized' babies to grow in a week, so your little baby growing 6oz in 9 days is brilliant. If you think about proportions, then he is growing at about the right weight.

DD was born at 5lb and 'struggled' to gain weight according to HV who casually bandied about 'failing to thrive' and causing no end of stress for us, trying to bottle feed and get her eating more. As it happened she put on weight as she wanted to, ate well and slowly gained the weight she needed. The failing to thrive thing was discussed with our GP as we were so worried and he was not at all concerned. She was a healthy petite little girl and still is.

She is now 4.5 and in 4-5 clothes for her top half and 3-4 clothes for her bottom half (short legs like mummy and daddy!). She is in the small half of her class size, but not the smallest and also taking into account her being july born compared to those almost 1 year older than her.

WorzselMummage Fri 04-Mar-11 13:48:51

My DS wasn't IUGR but was a tiddler when he was born at 27 weeks and was very slow to gain weight. He was 2lb2oz at birth, 4lb4 at discharge 10 weeks. 9lb when we started weaning at 6 months and not even on the chart. 16lb on his first birthday and finally on the centiles though not yet at 2%. He's just approaching 2 years and 3 months so almost 2 corrected. He's having his first growth spurt at the moment (!) and is a HUGE 26.6lb and almost on the 50th%. He's had 2 pairs of shoes since christmas! He looks normal.

He was breastfed until he was 17 months, never had any of that foul fortified milk. it was prescribed but I decided not to give it to him after tasting it.

He's spot on developmentally too.

They do catch up. It can take a while but they do get there. Don't be disheartened

stillfrazzled Fri 04-Mar-11 14:18:27

Thank you, every story is making me feel a little bit better.

Keep em coming! grin

I have just seen this thread and am reading with interest - DS2 was IUGR, 4lbs when he was born by induction at 37 weeks, which put him on 0.4th centile, where he has pretty much stayed since - he is healthy and developmentally fine, very happy and very very cute - not that I am biased of course smile.

He is now 16mo and I haven't had him weighed for a few months, although he seems to have had a little spurt. Back in January we saw an endocrinologist at GOSH to see if anything might be causing growth problems but they can't see any likely genetic problems at the moment. They did say, however, that if he is still on same place on chart when he is 2 - which they seemed to think would be likely, given that he hasn't climbed the chart at all in a year - then they would discuss growth hormone therapy with us, so we will need to make a decision on that.

Anyone know of anyone who has done this? I have chatted to one poster whose DS had it with not entirely positive results so would be interested to hear of anyone else.

Boblina Thu 05-May-11 22:00:34

Sorry for the silly question but what is IUGR? Thanks

Intra-uterine growth restriction, when babies don't grow as well in the womb as normal, usually because of some problem with the placenta. If it occurs early in pg (earliest it is usually picked up is 20 wk scan but more commonly later through fundal height checks by mw) it an result in stillbirth, otherwise often necessitates early delivery and scbu.

Apologies, i should just add to "if it occurs early", it can also, if it occurs but goes undetected much later in pg, result in stillbirth because the placenta can eventually stop working altogether before full term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now