What should I buy my Wife as a gift after the baby is born ?

(66 Posts)
bluemooner Wed 27-Oct-10 13:57:59

Does anyone have any good ideas what to buy my wife after our baby is born ? (now only about a week away..)Just to say she is not big on jewellery, but was thinking along the lines of a day at a spa ? other ideas have been a new digital camera (to take lots of pictures of our new arrival)

Thanks

PortoFangO Wed 27-Oct-10 14:00:36

I like the camera idea. A spa might be a bit much when you've just had a baby. Or what about vouchers for treating herself to a new post pg outfit...?

bluemooner Wed 27-Oct-10 14:01:25

Does a Digital Photo Frame sound a bad idea ?

notasausage Wed 27-Oct-10 14:01:41

Camera is probably a better idea than the spa day although she will need the spa day more!!! She just won't want to leave her new baby for that length of time and if she does then she won't be relaxing but worrying about the baby.

It's a bit of a minefield and you know your wife best. Something she can keep - why jewellery is usually popular.

Ghoulfriend Wed 27-Oct-10 14:02:48

Camera is a lovely idea! Awww how nice! smile

Don't forget to come back on here once your baby is born and let us know!

Simbacat Wed 27-Oct-10 14:08:13

I visited a friend last week who had a new mulberry bag described as her 'pushing present'. Her daughter was 2weeks old.

I thought it was a bit patronizing and uneccessary. They have joint money and so she was basically paying for it as well.

After having a baby i didn't really want anything other than someone who did what I asked when I wanted it ( ie knew When I wanted help and when to be Alone).

If you are thinking special jewellry etc I could see that. Something that would last forever. Plant a tree?

How about a small treat everyday for the first few weeks?

lia66 Wed 27-Oct-10 14:12:28

I would say a camera is a family present to be honest, I'm sure you'll be using it as much as your wife. In fact, if you don't have a camera, I would suggest you get one before the birth.

Something fairly frivolous that she wouldn't normally spend buying for herself would be my suggestion,

Check out how she feels about spa day things cos I'm not sure i'd like that kind of thing.

winnybella Wed 27-Oct-10 14:13:56

What I wanted when DD was born was to be able to stay with her in bed for a week and just take care of her. The fact that DP did all the cooking, cleaning etc plus his share of nappy changes etc was great and much better than just getting a material gift and no help.

Other than that I think lovely flowers waiting for your wife when she gets back from the hospital. Nice bath stuff or cream etc. Vouchers for her favourite shop, be it bookstore or clothes.

JustDoMyLippyThenWeWillGo Wed 27-Oct-10 14:14:47

Serious diamonds grin

winnybella Wed 27-Oct-10 14:15:05

Agree camera is more of a family gift, unless your wife wanted one for ages.

mamsnet Wed 27-Oct-10 14:16:24

For me spa days and all that were just a huge STRESS to get the baby to go longer between feeds etc..

I let more than one such token expire.

All she'll need is YOU taking really good care of her smile

Simbacat Wed 27-Oct-10 14:16:31

Whoops wasn't mulberry was Louis vuitton but you get the idea. Very expensive and probably not the 1st thing that she would have spent £800 on- she hadn't chosen it or expressed any Interest in it before.

foofi Wed 27-Oct-10 14:19:57

I find this a bit weird - certainly didn't get bought presents when I had my dcs. I suppose if you're desperate to spend some money, I would say pay for someone to do the ironing or the cleaning. She's certainly not going to be caring about handbags for a while, or able/wanting to go to a spa just yet.

Simbacat Wed 27-Oct-10 14:20:04

Bath stuff would be good. Long baths are greatafter giving birth. But you need someone to look after the baby while you are in it. So you take the baby for a walk ( so if it cries she won t hear it) and nice bath stuff would be great.

bluemooner Wed 27-Oct-10 14:20:15

thanks for the tips, sorry I did forget to say that she already has a camera, just that was what someone suggested as he had bought one for his wife. I can see what you all mean about the spa, a treat everyday she already has, thats me !!! - and as I say jewellery isnt really her thing.

Hohumchops Wed 27-Oct-10 14:22:49

how about some nice meals for the freezer or getting some nice food shopping delivered for the first couple of weeks?

Photo frame for a photo of her and the baby?

clothes are a need as soon as she is up and about - a couple of weeks or so - as will likely not fit in anything in her wardrobe.

What about a lovely scarf or gloves (for pushing a pushchair over winter!), so she feels snuggled up and treated - i hadn't bought clothes and stuff for such a long time, a new pair of socks would have been lovely!

I would agree that if it's vouchers, then make sure they have a long date on them, and you should get a camera first!

Roshin Wed 27-Oct-10 14:24:04

This

<Please be you DH> grin

Roshin Wed 27-Oct-10 14:26:10

I also like the idea of paying for the washing and ironing to be done - maybe even a temp cleaner. God that would be bliss.

<crosses fingers>

lucy101 Wed 27-Oct-10 14:26:21

as many hours as you can afford with a post-birth doula - this is the only thing I would actually like!

Roshin Wed 27-Oct-10 14:27:26

and flowers, of course.

bunnymother Wed 27-Oct-10 14:29:00

How about something snuggly and comforting ie cashmere cardigan / wrap or White Company velour hooded dressing gown (God knows your DW will prob be spending much of her night time awake)? That's assuming the household help situation is sorted - my no 1 stress w DD was the shambolic state of our place. I was always holding her so just had to sit and look at mess.

YummyorSlummy Wed 27-Oct-10 14:29:42

What a nice husband you are bluemooner! Can you phone mine up and give him some tips? grin I think either a nice piece of jewellery (how about a Pandora charm bracelet with a charm on that's the babys birthstone, then if you have any more babies you can add to it!) or the vouchers for buying clothes with.

a cleaner

YummyorSlummy Wed 27-Oct-10 14:30:55

Sorry bluemooner just seen the bit about not being big on jewellary! I'd go for clothes vouchers and flowers then!

bluemooner Wed 27-Oct-10 14:33:50

again thanks for the tips,

Cleaner - that will be me
Ironing - that will be me
Cooking - that will be me

Roshin Wed 27-Oct-10 14:34:54

<once again - please be you DH>

ThatDamnDog Wed 27-Oct-10 14:34:57

You say she's not big on jewellery. I'm not big on jewellery - only wear plain silver earrings usually - but diamonds given to me on the birth of our child would be very different! Nobody's that not big on jewellery when it comes to diamonds, right?

bluemooner Wed 27-Oct-10 14:36:37

to make things harder, its her birthday 5 days after the little one is due and then Christmas 6 weeks after !!! She is hard to buy for at the best of times :-)

Simbacat Wed 27-Oct-10 14:37:03

Just remember that when she shouts at you and says you are a crap cleaner, ironer and chef that is just hormones- she doesn't mean it and carry on!

remember you'll be exhausted too - a cleaner is a GREAT idea. You can still cook and iron of course!

PutTheKettleOn Wed 27-Oct-10 14:38:48

awww, the only thing DH brought me after DD2 was born was OK magazine and some cheese and onion crisps grin

How about a lovely snazzy baby change bag like this ?

Or arrange for a lovely bunch of flowers to be delivered on her first day at home alone with the baby (when she'll be feeling a bit nervous and low) complete with a soppy card saying how much you love her/what a fab mum she is etc...

bluemooner Wed 27-Oct-10 14:38:51

she says that now

actually I second the idea from further down the thread - really lovely hat scarf and gloves

vouchers for bfing tops from a nice company? (if she's bfing of course)

takeaway vouchers

photo frames for all the photos you will take

some kind of help for when your paternity leave finishes

notcitrus Wed 27-Oct-10 14:42:23

Chocolates. Possibly with alcohol in.
A few Hotel Chocolat truffles per breastfeed made things much more bearable at 4am...

Otherwise cleaner and/or clothes vouchers, and go shopping with her to hold the baby while she tries stuff on.

notyummy Wed 27-Oct-10 14:48:10

Would second the people who say that practical help is the biggest gift (cliche but true...) Like the idea of HUGE bunch of flowers on the day you return to work. Perhaps a luxurious scarf - although I would say NOT the posh change bag. A present should be entirely for her really, not baby related IMHO.

TBH, my DH is usually very generous and romantic, however he didn't buy me (and nor did I expect) a present when DD was born. What he did do was ensure that the house was IMMACULATE when we came home from hospital. All the beds had been changed, fridge was fully stocked. All my favourite mags and newspapers were sitting at a carefully constructed pile of ciushions on the sofa, along with the phone and the TV remote. This was the bf spot and I would stay there for a long time! This meant more to me at the time then any other presents would.

When I got the mad baby blues 4/5 days after the birth, without asking he ran me a big bath with lots of delicious smellies and put a cup of tea beside it. He virtually had to undress me as I kept crying over nothing and then helped me in (was still sore after tricky delivery.) Was very much appreciated.

Matsikula Wed 27-Oct-10 14:56:31

If you do get flowers, please do find a vase and put them in it yourself, and get rid of the flowers when they are dead.

We got a beautiful and enormous bunch of flowers when our son was born, and I must have spent nearly an hour trimming them, stripping all the extra leaves off and then finding suitable containers to put them in (we only had one small vase). Not what you want when you can barely find the time to make yourself a cup of tea.

GoreRenewed Wed 27-Oct-10 14:59:52

Don't be so sure jewellery isn't her thing OP. I was never big on jewellery but that was mainly because I never got given any grin I'd have given my eye-teeth for something beautiful and significant when my babies were born sad Not forthcoming unfortunately.

Bobbiesmum Wed 27-Oct-10 15:00:48

Present???? You mean we are supposed to get a present off our dh's?
I'm off to have words, can it be backdated do you think?

bendybanana Wed 27-Oct-10 15:07:18

a camera to catch those precious moments?

yes most of all she will need you to do lots round the house - cook/clean loos/hoover/freeze meals/change beds/washing. Then organise a cleaner for when you return to work - maybe for 3 months.

Lotofdamnationandhellfire Wed 27-Oct-10 15:07:21

dh got a present too, he had a lego millenium falcon when ds was born and I got a lovely pair of earrings grin. Now ds loves his lego collection, dh not quite so keen on sharing!

Lotofdamnationandhellfire Wed 27-Oct-10 15:07:50

Meant to add, go for the ironing sent out or a cleaner in when you go back to work.

Paribus Wed 27-Oct-10 15:10:31

jewellery- noone will be unhappy about the box from tiffany ;-)
alternatively, nice cashmere+silk wraps/shawls- hermes does beautiful ones and it will last her through bf and well after

spookyhalloweenFluffypomkins Wed 27-Oct-10 15:19:43
spookyhalloweenFluffypomkins Wed 27-Oct-10 15:23:46
notyummy Wed 27-Oct-10 15:24:20

Not the 'yummy mummy' paperweight on that last link though, unless you want to run the risk of it being redirected to your head. If she is in a good mood, she may just look at it and chuckle hollowly...

Sometime after the birth she may wish to consider how 'yummy' (shudder) she looks. Directly afterwards, some lip salve and a comb are about as detailed as its going to get.

Tortington Wed 27-Oct-10 15:24:56

she might not be big on jewellery, but get her a diamond.

LittleRedPumpkin Wed 27-Oct-10 15:33:02

... um ... I know this is against the consensus of the thread, but I think I would feel very uncomfortable to get a diamond as a present after giving birth, especially if I didn't like jewellery much.

Feels a bit sleazy, no?

5DollarShake Wed 27-Oct-10 17:01:06

DH got me an iPad when I had DD 11 weeks ago, and it's the best thing he could've given me. Perfect for wiling away the hours spent feeding, and is ideal for night time feeds as it keeps me company whilst not disturbing him. wink

He also got me a beautiful bunch of flowers. I [heart] him!

I am due to give birth early in the New Year, and would love it if my H got me a voucher for a spa day. You could get an "open" voucher which can be redeemed within 3-6 months,so it doesn't have to be used right away. Failing that, a voucher for her favourite clothes store, something cashmere like lounge pants or some lovely perfume. In short, anything to help her feel a bit glam. Many moons ago, when I had my twin sons my then partner bought me a gorgeous silk underwear set and a bottle of perfume. I appreciated the sentiments-even if I couldn't fit into the undies immediately!

FannyBrawne Wed 27-Oct-10 17:35:29

Afew weeks after the birth, my DP got me a locket with a picture of DS in. One of my best presents ever.

PortoFangO Wed 27-Oct-10 19:19:28

Ooh an iPad! envy I think I got nothing. Mind you I had been in and out of hospital for weeks before dd was born, then it got all traumatic so I really didn't care. Just to go home (to a fantastically clean and tidy house grin) with dh and new dd was plenty for me.

And I had a large g&t and a chinese takeaway - after we threw the in laws out - twas heaven. Diamonds - pah! I did get lovely flowers and chocs for Valentines Day when I was still on the ante-natal ward though...

wannabeglam Wed 27-Oct-10 19:42:24

Something that isn't going to look like a present for yourself (camera or something similar might).

After a few months a photobook with 'baby's first 3 months' in. Photobox is quite good.

My husband did it for me - took him a while to get round to it so it cover's our baby's first year. It takes time to do, is really thoughtful, and she'll love it.

cece Wed 27-Oct-10 19:45:51

I wouldn't have wanted a spa day - as what do you do with the baby? Plus I wouldn't have wanted to leave my baby for a whole day.

I was given a lovely ring that has my birth stone and DDs birth stone in it. It does help that DD's birth stone is a diamond wink

DD eyes the ring up every now and again and loves to listen to the story of why the stones are as they are. She will get the ring once I am gone.

maktaitai Wed 27-Oct-10 19:52:06

There you go, it's very personal. I would have been a bit hmm about anything to do with photographs as I'm not that bothered about them, especially if you have a camera already. But lots of women love photos, so you may be on the right lines.

A cleaner. A DAILY cleaner if you can afford it. Believe me there will still be plenty for you to do.

Im not big on jewellery either but i love and wear nearly every day the diamond stud earrings my DH bought me when DS1 was born....not massive ones but lovely. DS1 now nearly 5 so defo a good present.

I think it needs to be a keepable token not ironing etc, though that a good general idea.

maisiestar Wed 27-Oct-10 23:19:26

What about a watch - I'm not big on jewellery but a lovely Cartier watch will really help her time when the next feed is due - it's essential really

FunkyCherry Thu 28-Oct-10 00:45:33

A hamper with all the things she wasn't allowed when pregnant... wine, pate, brie.

BTW, I'd stock up on paper plates and disposable cuttlery and glasses. When my OH went back to work, it was great to make a snack and then chuck everything away after! And I lived on cereal bars that I could eat in the middle of the night when doing feeds.

Love the Ipad idea. She can MumsNet whilst holding little one.

Of all the ideas here, I think an iPad is the best.

That said, I'm also not much of a jewellery type, but was given items for the birth of each dc. Some I wear, some I don't - one necklace I wear at least twice a week, whereas before it would never have occurred to me to wear a necklace unless I was dressed up.

But what particularly delights me is the gift that my mum gave me: the gift that my dad gave her when I was born. One day I will give that to my dd when her first child is born. And the mothers of my ds's children will get the gifts that I received when my dss were born.

IMoveTheStars Thu 28-Oct-10 01:32:31

Sorry, I think the pre-cooked idea is rubbish as a present (this is the kind of thing that may well need doing anyway, so may not feel like a present)

We bought a camera the holiday before we had DS because we knew we're use it (may I recommend an Ixus - good for quick detailed shots) but as a new mum I would have LOVED a basket of my favourite things. In my case it would have been the best bath stuff, a gorgeous bathrobe (feeding at night is cold - a furry dressing gown is v good). I would have also loved some bloody good crackers, brie, camenbert, pate, etc, along with anything else (wine) that may have been banned during pregnancy. Chucked in with that should be a 1 hour per day voucher for a bath. DP insisted that I had a bath every single day after I came home from the hostpital and it was brilliant.

Also, if your wife is not an apple fan, get her an HTC Desire grin

tunise Thu 28-Oct-10 02:47:12

I had DD 2 days before my birthday and as a b'day present(rather than a 'baby' present) got a very lovely pink netbook. It is truly my favourite thing and balances on the arm of the chair neatly so i can facebook, mumsnet and even do a online shop while breastfeeding.
And during those dark middle of the night moments having the ability to reach out and communicate using only one hand is a great tool. You should also tell her about mumsnet if she doesn't already know!

Concordia Thu 28-Oct-10 02:58:25

personally i would have settled for DH cleaning the house, doing the shopping and cooking for a few weeks....

OnEdge Thu 28-Oct-10 03:04:29

a professional photo of the two of them ? like a portrait (sorry tired, you know ewhat i meamn)

waltonsmountain Thu 28-Oct-10 04:38:52

When I had my baby in the June it was my birthday a week later. Despite best efforts it was the worst ever, hormones and exhaustion made me cry all day. A few days later my DH gave me an IPHONE as a pushing present and it has been fantastic. Perfect for middle of night feedings. (I'm writing this post on it! 4am). A gift that is just for her not the baby. And apps mean you can never run out of new things on it etc. Great camera on iPhone 4 too for pics of new baby. Cannot recommend highly enough.
Also cleaner great idea. Avoid spa till after 4 months. You are a great husband!

PreciousP Thu 28-Oct-10 12:35:23

I think you are the best present she would ever have. Get some days off and be there for her. That's the best ...I wish I got that instead of dozens of roses (not that am not appreciative). yah!

PreciousP Thu 28-Oct-10 12:36:27

You will be her perfect gift. Your presence and help around for the first few days. She will be over the sky about you.

clarasebal Wed 18-Sep-13 19:28:18

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now