Cough remedies which actually work for 2 yr old

(19 Posts)
XBenedict Mon 19-Nov-12 20:59:34

Have you tried slightly elevating the head of the bed?

pointythings Mon 19-Nov-12 20:58:16

Definitely seconding the Vicks on the feet, it was the only thing that ever worked on my DDs.

cheeseandmushroomghostie Mon 19-Nov-12 20:49:56

Thanks for replies, will get a humidifier tomorrow, but will try the Vicks on the feet tonight, had forgotten about that trick!

Humidifier def works in our house. Got one 4 years ago when DD2, then 4 months, got bronchiolitis. Helped her enormously and gets used every time someone in the house has a bad cough.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Mon 19-Nov-12 20:13:41

Humidifier

AnyaKnowIt Mon 19-Nov-12 20:12:27

Vic's vapour rub on the feet, don't ask me why but it worked a treat on my dd

cheeseandmushroomghostie Mon 19-Nov-12 20:10:12

Bump!

cheeseandmushroomghostie Mon 19-Nov-12 19:38:25

My ds has a nasty dry cough and I searched on here for miracle cures remedies. Anybody have any other ideas? Is it worth getting a humidifier for his room? He is coughing non stop sad

mousymouse Thu 14-Oct-10 16:12:41

ali, that's why cough medicine for adults contains codeine. which works but is not safe for kids.
helping them cough and stopping the tickling can be done.

Alibobster Thu 14-Oct-10 15:49:54

My doctor told me that cough medicines don't work- the only think that would stop a cough is Morphine!

MamaVoo Thu 14-Oct-10 14:45:37

Buy some Simple Linctus from the chemist. There is a kids version. It's the only cough medicine I know of that actually does anything.

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Thu 14-Oct-10 13:25:33

I use weak oregano tea for my DS (5) - half a teaspoon of normal supermarket dried oregano in half a pint of boiling water, stood for a minute till it's pale yellow, then strained. I add a fair bit of cold water to it so it's warm, but not hot. It really, really seems to work (though it tastes a bit rank so you may need to put a ton of honey in it...
Humidifying the room can also help, as can manuka honey (though for a 2yo I think they recommend you only use the 5+ activity one).

mousymouse Thu 14-Oct-10 13:16:01

warm milk and honey about an hour before bedtime.

BornToFolk Thu 14-Oct-10 13:11:50

A teaspoon of honey is pretty good too, as it leave a damp flannel on the radiator (if on) to make sure that the air is not too dry.
You can also try raising up the head of her bed, or putting a blanket under her pillow to raise her up a bit.

Takver Thu 14-Oct-10 12:57:10

We always found warm (not too hot) honey and lemon with plenty of honey was just as good as over the counter medicines at soothing a mild cough.

goneforever Thu 14-Oct-10 12:35:45

Thanks for these ideas and I have bought some tixylix which is helpful thank you. Dont think it is asthma but will be aware incase i am wrong and will take to docs if it does not clear up.
What about a multivit syrup to give extra vitamin c - any use in trying that or no? Although she is still only 2 years old but some days her diet is crap and not sure she gets much vit c

soppypreggyloon Wed 13-Oct-10 17:56:49

Tixylix is good. Just glycerol. No sugar. Smells like jelly babies.
Ds has had cough which has turned into minor cold. If cough isn't helped by medicine or goes on for a few days I'd go to dr. Just to be safe!

Asthma has raggedy breathing afaik. My Dsis had cough/ cold as a child. My mum told her to stop makin those stupid noises- tuned out to be asthma! One short stay in hospital and on inhalers and my sis has never let mum forget it!

onceamai Wed 13-Oct-10 16:38:11

If she's coughing most of the night there may be some underlying astham and I would be minded to check it out with the GP.

lavender11 Wed 13-Oct-10 09:17:14

A bit of a boring one and sorry if it has been done many times before. Daughter has her first cold and cough of the year, husband has bought an expel air tiny battery operated machine and olbas refills which seem to work a bit but she is still coughing most of the night. It is a fairly dry cough at the moment although it is definitely "on her chest" (i.e give it time and it will become a bit more phlemy - sorry if too much info)
Please tell me cough and cold remedies (if there are any) which you have tried for your toddlers and you think actually work. dont want to fork out for tixylix etc if it doesnt work but want to know if people think anything does infact work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now