Learning to drive driving you mad?

(1000 Posts)
ShowOfHands Sun 27-Jun-10 07:33:55

So here it is, a learning to drive thread.

I think there are a few of us. I predict much swearing. Is it only me that goes one step forwards, only to go 8 steps backwards?

I'm SOH, have been learning for the grand total of a fortnight. DH is teaching me. My aim is to be driving by the end of September when dd is supposed to start nursery and they change the driving test again.

I live rurally (very rurally) and rely on dh for lifts everywhere. Even a supermarket trip is reliant upon him being home from work. And as he's a police officer, he's never home on time, works long hours and as a consequence, we're fairly isolated.

I am trying to focus on the new lease of life for us.

I don't have a provisional licence yet (still waiting for it) but live on private land with tracks of about 3 miles so am driving round a farm atm.

I'll kick off the swearing so there's no illusion of standing on ceremony. How the buggery feck do you look in 3 mirrors, one windscreen, at the speedometer and not cry all at the same time? Answers on a postcard.

trinn Fri 26-Oct-12 13:21:28

forgot to say thats what I do for 3rd go into neutral then push it up, I panic and it ends up in 1st or 5th I think my gear changes are to aggresive as in I force the gear stick will have to work on being more lady like with it.

hopingtodrive Sat 27-Oct-12 13:04:31

Hi every1 my lessons are going so so. Not confident at all. Every time I stop to join a main road the car dies. Also I am not good at parking. I have no sense of the dimensions of the car so can't judge whether there is enough space to park in. Sossiges you are an inspirationsmile
Hope u r enjoying your driving

Imflabulous Wed 31-Oct-12 15:28:36

How is everyone getting on?

Hopingtodrive, when you say the car died do you mean stall? Are you slowing down to much on the approach and not dropping gear/dipping the clutch down? I, up until a few weeks ago did not stall but came to a complete stop at s junction before turning etc but now its sort of clicked and I'm doing it a lot smoother. I find it helps to go over in my head what I need to work on an concentrate on that on next lesson.

Been out again with mil to practice my manovers, its still hit and miss! Hope I do it better on my next lesson tomorrow.

Sossiges Thu 01-Nov-12 23:37:39

Thank you my lovely! I was enjoying my driving but now DH has commandeered the car to go to work (I suppose the weather has got colder) also I am getting to that stage where huge bump makes sitting down v uncomfortable...

Loving the fact that I can drive now, though, makes all the torture of the early lessons worth while. Keep at it!

Sossiges Thu 01-Nov-12 23:39:47

Even the worst driving lesson was never as quite as bad as this grin

Imflabulous Fri 02-Nov-12 07:24:29

Congratulations sossiges, I did not realise you were pregnant!

I had my lesson yest and got bloody peeped at by a lorry on the duel as I git on as he wad trying to over take and I was not going fast enough or something.I did get a fright but we went straight back on prob so I was not scarred for life!

trinn Fri 02-Nov-12 16:23:21

Just come home from a driving lesson, and OMG how scary was that? I set off and it was cloudy but fine nice and dry, 10 mins in it got darker and darker, then it started thundering and lightning, then rain which turned to hail that turned to sleet which turned to snow then back to rain plus it was a friday afternoon and the roads where manic, but I'm still here to tell the tale smile

Imflabulous Sat 03-Nov-12 09:04:59

That sounds awful trinn, how did you cope? My worst driving fear is thick fog or really heavy rain!

I also drove in the dark for the first time the other day, and it was not as bad as I thought.

trinn Sun 04-Nov-12 20:56:06

I was fine, I switched on the headlights (tip don't look to see where they are) flicked on the wipers and carried on, tbh this was my worst nightmare, I refuse point blank to drive in light rain and this was torrential, but I was fine, I did panic a little bit when a double decker bus decided he wanted to drive in the middle of the road but it was fine, I slowed the car and survived.

Imflabulous Sat 10-Nov-12 08:07:59

How is everyone getting on?

Trinn anymore scary driving conditions?
Hoping, how are you getting on?
Does anyone know if tiger passed?

Imflabulous Thu 15-Nov-12 10:39:09

I know the thread appears to be deserted but I thought I would update and say I just passed my test this morning x

Sossiges Fri 16-Nov-12 17:28:23

Well done Imflabulous! Congratulations! Now you are FREE! (apart from the shackles of car tax, insurance, fuel, maintenance etc. etc.) grin

Sossiges Fri 16-Nov-12 17:30:10

And happysingh how are you doing?

Imflabulous Fri 16-Nov-12 20:09:07

Thanks sossiges, I'm soo pleased and yes I'm free! Yay.

The kids faces when I picked them up from school yest was a picture, esp since they did not no.

Hope everyone else is doing well, if I can do it, so can anyone lol.

happysingh Fri 16-Nov-12 22:59:50

Hurray.....passed my test yesterday.....first attempt with just 1 minor fault.....over the moon now......keep trying my friends......and my advise to my learner friends is practice, practice, practice....invest in a gud instructor and take regular lessons without big gaps.......I am sooo.... Happy smile

Imflabulous Sat 17-Nov-12 06:56:31

Well done! I had mine on thur too, first attempt and 3 minors.

It's a great feeling knowing you can go anywhere!

Good luck to those still learning and to those with a test looming.

Might brave the duel carrige (so) way today.

Sossiges Tue 20-Nov-12 22:58:20

Congratulations happysingh! 1 minor? Impressive!

Pumpster Mon 26-Nov-12 21:34:11

Well done people who have passed grin
I have my test in weds, my first test at 36! Have had hundreds of lessons, am bricking it!

Pumpster Mon 26-Nov-12 21:34:22

On...grrr

Pumpster Wed 28-Nov-12 22:40:05

And I passed with 3 minors. Dead chuffed! grin

Avuncular Wed 28-Nov-12 23:09:19

Congratulations - that's really really good. Now you'll get a chance to learn to drive and survive. Been doing it 45 years and I learn something new every day. Most exciting thing recently was being 2 seconds from needing the airbags when someone started to pull across a junction on the 70mph A1.

MissMogwi Thu 29-Nov-12 14:35:22

I've booked my test for January. I'm not telling anyone in RL as I don't want to jinx it!

The one manoeuvre I seem to slip up on is the reverse around the corner. I'll do it spot on time after time then next lesson make a right pig's ear of it.

I only have my driving lessons as no other access to a car, so I might up my lessons to three a week if I can. I sooo want to pass!

Pumpster Fri 30-Nov-12 22:22:40

I can't rrc luckily I didn't get it grin

Avuncular Sat 01-Dec-12 01:59:36

TIP for all manoeuvres: if you're going to fail on any of these, it will most likely be on observation, not on the technical aspects.

I've even seen people touch (NOT drive up on!) the kerb and pass, providing their observation is first class.

Last week I had a pupil fail with only two faults: while she was doing her reverse (parallel) park, a woman driver 4x4 drove past, giving us a wide berth. But the (woman again) examiner failed her because she didn't stop when the 4x4 came in range. That might seem harsh, but if you didn't see something on a motorway at 70mph, what might the consequences be?

You need to demonstrate excellent all-round observation throughout the test. It's the only time the examiner has to assess whether you're safe enough to be unleashed on the rest of us!

MissMogwi Tue 01-Jan-13 12:09:00

I have my test next week. I'm starting to stress about it now!

I'm revising the show me, tell me questions but as I have a mountain of Uni work I can't dedicate all my time to it.

I'm having a lesson every other day up until the test as I have no other access to a car so can't practise otherwise.

All my manoeuvres are great now, it's just the bloody roundabouts, just yesterday I was fine and some arsehole changed his mind and didn't turn off at his indicated exit - just kept coming and beeping at me. confused It was his fault but it shook me up.

I really want to pass, but I think
My nerves are going to be what trips me up.

I realise I'm just ranting out loud here!

This thread is not accepting new messages.