***This is a thread about how you could help to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support and get a bit happier and healthier in the process - PLEASE READ***

(337 Posts)
popsycal Fri 01-Jan-10 20:39:10

This thread was very nearly called: "AIBU to have bumsex in a parent and child space whilst pregnant and smoking with my formula fed baby in the back in an incorrectly fitted car seat?" in order to catch your attention

Please read on

Would you like to shed a few Christmas pounds and help a really worthwhile cause at the same time? But do you shudder at the thought of your lycra-clad body setting foot outside? We have all been there.

In just over 12 weeks time (27/28 March 2010), there is a MN fundraising event to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support - no matter what your current fitness level, you can do your bit to get fit and raise money.

If I can do it, then anyone can! Until just over two years ago, the very thought of running made me quiver. It brought back memories of cross country at school and green polyester running knickers and trying to hide behind a tree during the first lap waiting to re-join the rest of the girls during the third lap.

So when a work colleague encouraged me to join her to run 5k for the Race for Life, I very nearly laughed in her face. My first 'run'was an 18 minute session where I walked two minutes then 'ran' 1 minute and repeated six times. I clearly remember frantically checking my stop watch in the 'run' segment and wondering how on EARTH I would manage to run a further 40 seconds before I could walk again blush.

However, something in me rose to the challenge and, in as little as 12 weeks, I went from 'running-phobic' to '3.1 miles in 26-ish minutes without stopping'. This year, I ran the Great North Run in a little over two hours. Needless to say, the friend who gently persuaded me to run back in May 2007 transformed my life and, by default, helped to transform the lives of those who I have raised money for over the last few years.

In just over 12 weeks time, we are organising a 'MN Marathon Relay' in honour of an amazing Mumsnetter, Twink, and her DH, fondly known on our running thread as Mr T. During the early stages of organising this event in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support, Mr T sadly passed away after a really brave fight against cancer. This secured in our mind that we really wanted our MN Marathon to go ahead to remember Mr T.

Here is how it works. You pledge a distance you can run PLEASE DON'T PANIC - 5k (3.1 miles) is perfectly doable in 12 weeks for a complete running novice. You get put in 'teams' who together run a collective marathon between them. Teams are just 'virtual' - you don't meet up but the camaraderie and support you will receive will spur you on. You encourage people to sponsor/donate money via a collective Just Giving page. On the weekend of 27/28 March, you run your distance having been out regularly (and followed one of the couch to 5k training plans that we are going to post shortly).

MNHQ have pledged a team who will cover 26.2 miles between them. We already have approximately twenty runners taking part from our regular running thread but would really like to invite anyone who wants to get rid of the Christmas 'spread' or would just like to get healthy in the New Year to join us whilst raising money for such a worthwhile cause.

You don't even have to run the full 5k - Run-walk-run is perfectly respectable and many marathon runners use this technique tactically - and we have a training plan that you can follow for this too. Walkers are more than welcome too

More practical training pages, fundraising details, blogs and personal stories to follow. But please sign up below if you think you would like to participate in this event for a very worthwhile cause which Twink, and many other Mumsnetters, have had great support and help from during extremely difficult times.

popsycal Fri 01-Jan-10 20:51:16

bump until someone replies

cocohasleftthebuilding Fri 01-Jan-10 20:53:27

Me! I was training for the race for life last year but damaged my foot. I'll try again this year, even if I have to walk.

popsycal Fri 01-Jan-10 20:54:53

oh coco thank you. I will make a list tomorrow...due you need alink to a training plan?

cocohasleftthebuilding Fri 01-Jan-10 20:57:58

No thanks I have a fair idea what to do, my Dads a runner smile

[panics]

geordieminx Fri 01-Jan-10 20:58:17

Wouldnt it be great if MN'ers collectively could run 1000 miles or something?

Or 10,000?

Or 1,000,000!!!!

grin

ZZMum Fri 01-Jan-10 20:59:18

count me in - sounds like a great cause.. will need every bit of help support and training plans available though!

cocohasleftthebuilding Fri 01-Jan-10 21:00:03

[gags geordieminx]

Wiseoldelf Fri 01-Jan-10 21:01:46

I'll be in for this too.

Macmillan is something very precious to my family

popsycal Fri 01-Jan-10 21:02:22

We have a kind of background plan of seeing how many miles.marathons we can run between us

I iwll post tomorrow with some more information - and hopefully my running gals will pop over and share their stories

MerlinsBeard Fri 01-Jan-10 21:03:52

I need a kick up the bum to get back exercising but for now i will linger on the threads until i can trust myself to not take this too far (long story)

cocohasleftthebuilding Fri 01-Jan-10 21:07:58

Ohhhhh you got a sticky [impressed]

popsycal Fri 01-Jan-10 21:09:27

ask and it shall be delivered <touches nose mysteriously >

Twink Fri 01-Jan-10 21:10:19

Howdee Popsycal et al,

There's a certain irony here as I've never mentioned that MrT was a born & bred Geordie! It's also taking place on the weekend closest to his birthday, which makes it great distraction therapy for me and miniT.

Off to visit his relatives tomorrow, ski jackets already out and ready to go, South Shields here we come!

popsycal Fri 01-Jan-10 21:17:00

important info for new runners please read

straight forward 5k training plan if you want to run all the way

week 5k training plan to get you round comfortably with a few walk breaks

another 5k plan for running all the way

And gosh! I almost forgot - if you have an ipod, get on itunes. In the podcast section, serach for the couch to 5k podcast by Robert Ullrey. He is marginally annoying but the music 'beeps' when you change froma walk to a run. This is what I used this time last year to start from scratch again after having ds3

popsycal Fri 01-Jan-10 21:18:31

Oh wow Twink!
You never said! I was in South Shields today. I would like to talk to you about a route i was thinking about taking for my 'leg' of the run.

email me - popsycal2005
yahoo
co
uk

brace yourself for the snow

popsycal Fri 01-Jan-10 21:20:36

There is another podcast called Suz;s couch to 5k podcast although I can't vouch for how good it is

fishie Fri 01-Jan-10 21:23:28

brilliant popsy.

also helpful for getting started indiesouprunner podcasts i particularly like the nov and dec ones. and angry chick rockers.

sfxmum Fri 01-Jan-10 21:35:04

thanks popsy brilliant start smile
looking forward to it

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Fri 01-Jan-10 21:45:18

<edges in> Hmm is it ok if I sign up.. My NYR is to get running again having started in the summer and loved it then hurt my ankle whilst drunk falling on some steps

MrsWednesday Fri 01-Jan-10 21:49:18

Excellent, great idea to post it today Popsy. I'm in for 10k, maybe more if I can get my fitness back. Am I ok to confirm a final distance nearer to the time?

popsycal Fri 01-Jan-10 21:52:49

MrsW - that's fine

Powerof greyskull - you are not my siter, are you ;)

popsycal Fri 01-Jan-10 21:53:03

sister!!!

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Fri 01-Jan-10 21:53:22

I do have a sister.....

popsycal Fri 01-Jan-10 21:53:48

checked your profile - I am still safe in my relative anonymity

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now