Newspaper Delivery - How much do you pay and how much does the paperboy/girl get?

(9 Posts)
choccyp1g Portugal Thu 08-Oct-09 17:22:15

I was shocked to find it costs 50p a day to get papers delivered (in a richish part of SE).
I normally get the newspaper at the weekend, and maybe 2-3 times in the week, so when I got a special offer of newspapers every day for £3.50,I thought I might as well get them delivered to get my money's worth.

Then I discovered it's just over 50p a day!!! If the paperboys or girls get even half of it, I'll consider doing it myself as soon as DS can get his own breakfast.

Anyway, I don't think the shop should be making a profit on the delivery, just seems wrong to me, as it is children (teenagers) doing the work.

Uriel Thu 08-Oct-09 17:27:58

During the week, £11.50.
Saturday £3.50 (papers are heavier).
Sunday £3.

One does the week, the other the weekend.
Blasted trolley never stays at the shop! wink

choccyp1g Portugal Thu 08-Oct-09 17:31:27

Just for a moment I thought you were paying £11.50 shock
So how much does it work out to "per paper", and are the houses very far apart?

Uriel Thu 08-Oct-09 18:43:07

I've asked them and they deliver to about 30 houses. It's a fair walk and it takes one of them less than an hour and the other dawdles and takes over an hour.

Worth it for the tips alone. Dc who was doing it last Christmas, made over £45! shock.

MrsJohnDeere Thu 08-Oct-09 18:59:50

£1 per week here (Herts) but they come via the milkman.

choccyp1g Portugal Thu 08-Oct-09 21:13:18

30 houses, 7 days a week at 50p a go would be £105 to the newsagent, out of which £18 goes to the labourers. Nice margin if you can get it!
I daresay my newsagent is paying a bit more, but all the same...Plus the shop gets paid for the papers of course.

Someone is being royally conned. The children more than the buyers. I will definitely pack it in as soon as the special offer on newspaper runs out.

Come on anyone with any more charges or pay rates to calm my bloodpressure?

choccyp1g Portugal Thu 08-Oct-09 21:14:22

And MrsJohn, your milkman is doing a grand job.

squirrel42 Wed 21-Oct-09 22:40:33

Back in the late nineties I was getting £13 total for delivering 40+ newspapers seven days a week. I'm sure it took me more than an hour each day; it was a poshish area of town with detatched houses that all seemed to have long driveways. Slave labour but I liked the money as a 13 year old, although getting up early and doing it in the dark all winter was painful!

tilly76 Fri 14-Dec-12 13:03:23

i have a problem that i would like some advise on, my son took over his friends paper round 2wks ago, for the 1st wk his friend went with him and the 2nd wk he's dne it by himself, now his friends mother is sayin that she's recieved a letter from the newspaper that she owes £500 and that my son has not been delivering the papers, which i know he has, how do i solve this before it gets out of hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now