Vitally Important Housekeeping Tip - or things I learned the hard way

(411 Posts)

It is not a good idea to load your beautiful new miele dishwasher when you are sozzled. You will overload and break the bloody thing.

Hope that helps someone else grin

When being domestic goddessy and boiling a ham and intending to save the stock to make pea and ham soup, it is a good idea to place a bowl underneath the pan when you drain it raher than watch all the stock drain down the plug hole.

It's not a good idea to take the weight off the top of a pressure cooker whilst it's on (unless you really want to decorate your kitchen ceiling)

GentleOtter Thu 20-Aug-09 12:32:36

Don't let a toddler help you make Angel Fluff.

Nancy66 Thu 20-Aug-09 12:33:35

Don't get drunk and then watch the shopping channel - everything will seem like a good purchase/idea and you will find yourself with a house full of work top grills, stencil kits and magic mops.

I've done that with stock too!
Took me a week to get over it

slug Thu 20-Aug-09 12:38:58

Do not put lemon juice in the same sort of glass as your Margeritas. You will get drunk and make margurita meringue pie.

yum

Don't decide to cut the pastry top off a frozen pie "so it will cook through better" while it is still frozen. It will not cook through because you will be in A&E waiting for them to put stitches in your finger.

honie Thu 20-Aug-09 12:42:33

Dont sit in front of MN for even a '5' minute breal hmm

slug Thu 20-Aug-09 12:42:38

Surprisingly not. It was a bit bland actually. We wondered why, until we found the glass of lemon juice in the fridge and put two and two together.

Feenie Thu 20-Aug-09 12:46:31

If you are hoovering, and the slippers you are wearing look a bit fluff-ridden, it is very important to take them OFF before hoovering them.

Otherwise, it will be v. painful.

stirlingstar Thu 20-Aug-09 12:47:04

Always check you've put the eggs in the cake/muffin. If you notice eggs still on worktop on once cakes in oven, there is no point in optimistically hoping that they'll taste ok anyway. Have managed to do this several times ( how???) and can confirm that they will be nasty, but you'll feel obliged to eat anyway to avoid waste.

stubbyfingers Thu 20-Aug-09 12:47:06

Do not put the pizza in the oven with the plastic bread board unless you want a spectacular melted art installation rather than dinner.

MinnieMummy Thu 20-Aug-09 12:50:49

On those rare occasions when it does go wrong, do not put saucepan with burnt food in it outside on a man-made-fibre doormat. The food inside will clean off, the burnt-on plastic won't... (thanks DH)

esselle Thu 20-Aug-09 12:54:06

Make sure you keep your mouth closed when you scrub your toilet with a brush - the water can splash up quite high!!!

stubbyfingers Thu 20-Aug-09 12:55:10

eeeew!!

stirlingstar Thu 20-Aug-09 12:56:34

And when you buy new saucepan due to molten plastic on old one, remove packaging before you put it on hob. Otherwise will have two plasticky saucepans.

StealthBearWipesBumOnDailyMail Thu 20-Aug-09 12:57:06

Baby wipes do take the colour out of carpets.

stubbyfingers Thu 20-Aug-09 12:59:58

grin

flippy Thu 20-Aug-09 13:04:14

DO remember to place the colander in the sink before draining the spaghetti you wish to serve at your first ever dinner party. This may avoid you having to scoop it up from half an inch of dirty dishwashing water, give it a rinse and serve it up anyway.
I can't believe I did that 20 years ago.

pooter Thu 20-Aug-09 13:04:46

when dealing with a forgotten pan of veggies which have burnt your pan to oblivion, don't use your husband's "special" hmm teatowel pick it up and put it outside. It will catch on fire and you will have burnt the Welsh flag. He and his family will think you have done it on purpose. grin

ChookKeeper Thu 20-Aug-09 13:05:52

If you are trying to unblock a loo by hand (after a number 2) make sure that the length of your rubber gloves is longer than the depth of the water (I didn't eewwww)

PM73 Thu 20-Aug-09 13:14:04

pooter - class,love it grin

I am welsh to btw.

PM73 Thu 20-Aug-09 13:19:49

When you have a little helper helping you dust,dont let them have the feather duster because your little helper will swing it around & smash your hurricane lamp off the coffee table.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now