MN Etiquette.

(186 Posts)
Carmenere Mon 21-Jul-08 11:29:10

I think that mn needs a bit of a guide to its specific local etiquette.

There are tons on unspoken 'rules' on here that you don't know if you don't live on spend lots of time on here.

Swearing in thread titles offends some, not me as it happens, but I do know it offends others so I don't do it.

Text speak is obviously a no no.

Ghoulish thread titles in the news section are ill advised.

Writing without paragraphs is another one that causes confusion and upset.

Basically it can be a bit of a minefield for a new poster. I don't think that it deserves a whole topic but maybe folks could add to this thread and it might be a good place to direct newbies to.

I cant answer that, I have never thought to ask! But I love the word! I came across a Norks Way in Surrey, and it made me giggle. grin

Housemum Sun 27-Jul-08 14:04:41

We have a Gobley Hole near Basingstoke...

thumbwitch Mon 28-Jul-08 23:02:26

just thought I'd have another attempt at finding out where the term "norks" came from...

Anyone? smile

RealityGap Tue 29-Jul-08 09:12:39

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nork

Nork is slang (originally and principally Australian English) for breast

ScottishMummy Tue 29-Jul-08 09:19:23

your link i associate norks wholly with MN,dont actually like the word though

thumbwitch Tue 29-Jul-08 09:26:56

ta for that never heard it outside MN either (and DH is Australian)

ScottishMummy Tue 29-Jul-08 09:28:40

norks sound positively agricultural.

zippitippitoes Tue 29-Jul-08 09:35:19

i seem to break quitre a few of these rules

My dp has always called them 'norks' don't know where he got it from, he's from the SW?

RealityGap Tue 29-Jul-08 10:20:55

thanks ScottishMummy for sorting my rubbishy link - I have just realised that there is a big paragraph next to this box that tells me how to make it neat and tidy

perhaps that is another rule that I have broken - crud links??

RealityGap Tue 29-Jul-08 10:25:25

Norks Everywhere

My Oxford Dictionary of Australian Colloquialisms, Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang, and the Oxford English Dictionary all list NORKS with no mention of NORAS:

NORKS (originally Australian) [1960s and still in use - they’ve been in use for a lot longer than that (<)] (also norgies, norgs, norkers) A woman’s breast. Usually in the plural [origin uncertain: the wrapping on Norco Co-operative Ltd. butter manufacturer from New South Wales, featured a cow’s utter on its labels]

Quote:
<1962 “Hello, honey, that sweater—one deep breath and your NORKS will be in my soup.”— The Delinquents by C. Rohna, page 157>

<1966 “Nork, a female breast, usually in plural. (Ex Norco Co-operative Ltd., a butter manufacturer in N.S.W.). The form NORG is reported from Melbourne.”—The Australian Language (edition 2) by S. J. Baker, x. page 215>

<1970 “Wow, she’s peeled right off. What NORKS!”—Let’s Hear it for Prendergast by Barry Oakley

<1972 “She's only a body, all she's got is big NORKS.”—The Thrill Machine by I. Hamilton, iii. page 17>

<1973 “Hits herself in the eye with an independent NORK it isn't any laughing matter.”—The Eye of the Storm by P. White, page 593>

<1980 “All Maureen’s got to do is trail one of her big lovely NORKS at him and the bugger dashes off another one of his press releases.”—Thomas Keneally in Days of Wine and Rage edited by Frank Moorhouse, page 252>

<1999 “Mammary glands, it would seem, are a constantly expanding vista awaiting its conqueror: from mounds to hills to peaks to cliffs to mountains to Tetons to hemispheres to globes to the Milky Way. Peepers can be all that is in this universe as well as what isn't, from the incantatory (cha-chas, che-chees, moo-moos, yayas) to the nonsensical (choozzies, diddies, dubbies, norgies, NORKS, noogies, wongas) to the vaguely religious (goonas, jaboos, tora-loorals).”—Esquire, 1 February>

<2002 “What about when she flashed her NORKS on national TV as a birthday present for the host?”—Age (Melbourne) (Nexis) (Culture section), 28 March, page 7> Culture? (<)

<2004 “Mums-to-be Gwyneth Paltrow and Sara Cox show they're really shaping up for motherhood - to the delight of their fans. . . Sara, back from Brazil . . .told Radio 1 listeners this week: ‘My NORKS are huge.’ Seems our Sara has hit the big time all round . . .”—The Record (London), 26 March>

<2006 “It must be almost impossible model, or whatever, Katie Jordan to put the kettle on without those NORKS getting in the way, . . .”—Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland) 13 November>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now