MN Etiquette.

(186 Posts)
Carmenere Mon 21-Jul-08 11:29:10

I think that mn needs a bit of a guide to its specific local etiquette.

There are tons on unspoken 'rules' on here that you don't know if you don't live on spend lots of time on here.

Swearing in thread titles offends some, not me as it happens, but I do know it offends others so I don't do it.

Text speak is obviously a no no.

Ghoulish thread titles in the news section are ill advised.

Writing without paragraphs is another one that causes confusion and upset.

Basically it can be a bit of a minefield for a new poster. I don't think that it deserves a whole topic but maybe folks could add to this thread and it might be a good place to direct newbies to.

SoupDragon Mon 21-Jul-08 11:30:16

Disagreeing with me is a definite no no.

Carmenere Mon 21-Jul-08 11:31:14

Oh GOD yes, but how would a newbie know that without this threadwink

Elmosgirl Mon 21-Jul-08 11:32:11

Not to start threads about another thread.

MrsBadger Mon 21-Jul-08 11:32:36

there is no need to sign your posts

or use kisses

WideWebWitch Mon 21-Jul-08 11:32:45

text speak is lazy and you won't get as many replies if you use it

preggersplayspop Mon 21-Jul-08 11:33:40

But its a lot more fun to read when people break these rules that don't exist

MrsBadger Mon 21-Jul-08 11:36:23

more fun to read huge long messages typed without pressing return once?

more fun to read 'Little blonde 3yo kidnapped then tortured, killed and chopped into tiny pieces' rather than 'Upsetting news story :-('?

hmm

Hulababy Mon 21-Jul-08 11:39:59

Not using some form of grammar and punctuation is always an interesting one to comprehend.

Adnd a note to newbes that Cod can indeed spell - she just has a higher proportion of mistypes when typing fast than oher people.

Carmenere Mon 21-Jul-08 11:45:48

And Cod-bashing is boring and as unwelcome on here as having a go at anyone else.

Hulababy Mon 21-Jul-08 11:51:20

Wasn't cod-bashing myself; hpe it didn;t come across as that blush

ConnorTraceptive Mon 21-Jul-08 11:52:27

You're more likely to be torn to shreds if you post in Am I being unreasonable than if you post the exact same thread in any other topic.

Starting threads on parent and child parking spaces. grin

Carmenere Mon 21-Jul-08 11:53:20

No no not at all, I was just making the point when there is a relative newbie on here who doesn't 'get' Cod and starts a thread to have a go (happens, I would guess, about 5/6 times a year).

Hulababy Mon 21-Jul-08 11:55:41

Yes, that's true.

ExterminAitch Mon 21-Jul-08 11:57:37

introducing yourself to MN with a post reading 'you are all ignoring me' is often treated with considerable disdain. grin

PS i'm with you on the swearing in thread titles, Carm. amn't so much bothered by it myself but know that others are, very much so, and therefore wouldn't do it. plus, it's a bit coarse... wink

youngbutnotdumb Mon 21-Jul-08 12:01:51

I talk in vague text speak using words letters sometimes but thats about it. U see what I mean

slim22 Mon 21-Jul-08 12:07:05

when you disagree with someone, find the post, quote from the post and then go "aha, gotcha!".

If you want to be taken seriously give lots of stats and links to research because God forbid you should speak from experience or give an opinion.

MrsBadger Mon 21-Jul-08 12:13:44

well you can speak from experience or give an opinion, just don't be surprised when people don't treat you as the fount of all truth when you do wink

Probably also should translate bump, popcorn, explain Gina Ford, Judge Flounce etc...

taipo Mon 21-Jul-08 12:24:29

Don't post in AIBU if basically all you want is someone to lend you a sympathetic ear and a hanky.

Carmenere Mon 21-Jul-08 12:26:05

Yes the AI bit of AIBU is most important, do not forget that you are inviting opinions and that that these may not necessarily concur with yourswink

slim22 Mon 21-Jul-08 12:26:52

NEVER post on an AIBU, just lurk

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 21-Jul-08 12:29:26

Oh, dont mention the man in the red suit in thread titles.....

Do we really have to veto the swearing in thread titles though? sad

grin

PuppyMonkey Mon 21-Jul-08 12:32:22

Actually, I hate it when people cut and paste chunks of your post. Comes across as really arsey to me...

Especially when they then just put: "I disagree with you." or something deadly dull after. You just think - what's the point!!??

Carmenere Mon 21-Jul-08 12:34:34

And if you do quote another mner in a post do not put (sic) after it to denote that it is their bad spelling not yours as this comes across as terribly snidegrin

slim22 Mon 21-Jul-08 12:37:17

arghhhh i can't stand that quoting business

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 21-Jul-08 12:45:24

The fisking can be annoying, but, in a very fast moving thread it's quite helpful to see what folk are referring to in their posts.

fryalot Mon 21-Jul-08 12:46:22

By PuppyMonkey on Mon 21-Jul-08 12:32:22
Actually, I hate it when people cut and paste chunks of your post. Comes across as really arsey to me...

Especially when they then just put: "I disagree with you." or something deadly dull after. You just think - what's the point!!??

I know what you mean. Irritating, isn't it wink

PuppyMonkey Mon 21-Jul-08 12:48:01

grin squonk

And the date and time thing makes it just that little bit worse too...

onceinalifetime Mon 21-Jul-08 12:48:48

((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))) and hun not a good idea.

EffiePerine Mon 21-Jul-08 12:51:23

avoid the following terms

hun
hubby/hubbie
bubba

EffiePerine Mon 21-Jul-08 12:53:19

Use paragraphs and punctuation in long posts or you will lose 90% of your readers

avoid using 'loose' for 'lose' wink

don't start threads saying 'I am soooo fat I need to loose 2 lbs to get inot my size 8s' if you eant to avoid sneering and rotten fruit

ScottishMummy Mon 21-Jul-08 13:02:37

i also dont like the Cut and paste business.to paste someone else sentiments/narrative and then a "Oh you said"seems very childish (like telling tales Oh But miss she said...)

Pasting lacks imagination - is your response only to cite someone else?did it not get you going in any way whatsoever

Traipsing subjective (bad?) feelings about one post across to the other. Cliquey and let it go moooove on

Starting cliquey self referential threads "i love BigBlahBlah best she is MN royalty who is your fave MN (desperately hoping for a namecheck)

being snippy about spelling/punctuation/grammar. it is pippy and unnecessary.posts are fast moving, we respond at speed.sad if you only comment on a post is spelling.

if you want harvard referencing and good grammar go elsewhere

hunkermunker Mon 21-Jul-08 14:00:44

Read what posters actually say, rather than what you think they're saying [bitter experience]

youngbutnotdumb Mon 21-Jul-08 14:06:59

Don't have an opinion which is out of the norm you will be accused of being a troll.

Carmenere Mon 21-Jul-08 14:11:43

If you are name-changing to post about something controversial or sexual it is a good idea to validate your authenticity by dropping in a few references to mn history so as to avoid being accused of trollism.

foxymolly Mon 21-Jul-08 14:13:16

Make sure you read the whole thread before jumping in with assumptions and accusations.

ExterminAitch Mon 21-Jul-08 14:14:38

oh yes foxy, that's a good one. or at least if you haven't read the whole thing, say so.

Please don't use

>>>>>>>>>loads of ~~~~~~~~punctuation~~~~~~~~~~ marks in thread titles<<<<<<<<<<

Oblomov Mon 21-Jul-08 14:50:38

Can we have a top 10 rules then ?

nooka Mon 21-Jul-08 14:54:25

Don't be arsey about "unwritten rules" as in posting on a thread where someone might be really upset about something in RL and asking for sympathy and support, but get instead gets some righteous person going on and on about something that happened in past history which the OP may be completely unaware of (or may be just their opinion any way).

I also find it annoying when someone says something about someone else's post and gets "oh but x has been a member here for years and can do what the fuck she likes' or "you can't say whatever it is you just said because y has had some experience/disability that makes her above/exempt from such things". These are nasty little put downs, and unwarranted.

madamez Mon 21-Jul-08 14:56:01

Don't shit on the keyboard with rage. Especially if it's not your computer.

It's a really REALLY good idea to start MNing at 10pm after three bottles of wine.

DOn't flounce if hurt or put out. Just start a thread called 'Look at my cute baby' only link it to one of those ghost-jumping-out clips. Or Tubgirl.

If namechanging for something embarrassing or potentially arrestable offence related, check the namechange has worked by posting something innocuous on a boring thread about handbags or cookery first...

beansprout Mon 21-Jul-08 14:58:12

Emoticons don't work in thread titles so if you try to use them you just look a bit stupid like you are new to the site.

beansprout Mon 21-Jul-08 14:59:22

Consider the fact that maybe, just maybe, some discussions have already been held, e.g. the merits of formula/breast milk, SAHM/WOHM, the McCanns etc.

Kewcumber Mon 21-Jul-08 14:59:45

Don;t whinge that you're a thread killer expecting sympathy - just think of it as having the last word.

FluffyMummy123 Mon 21-Jul-08 15:00:50

Message withdrawn

Oblomov Mon 21-Jul-08 15:05:47

No spelling corrections. Unless in Pendants conrer, coroner, corner.

AbbeyA Mon 21-Jul-08 15:07:54

Don't come on to page 10 of a thread saying that you haven't read any of it but....., it has generally been discussed and sorted out on p6 (if they had read it). Even worse is having a go at the OP on p10 when they have already apologised and admitted they were wrong on the page before!

ScottishMummy Mon 21-Jul-08 15:10:21

1No cutting & pasting someone else post
2No Huns
3 No Traipsing subjective feelings about one post across to the another.
4No SHOUTING
5avoid txt speak
6 dont expect AIBU to be cosy and empathic
7 dont be snippy correcting spelling/grammar
8sausage rolls are not fatal - despite what some MN may say
9dont get all humphy if people dont agree with you
10Switch off and switch off

my top of the pops

foxymolly Mon 21-Jul-08 15:10:56

I think there should be a rule banning the correction of spelling .. you know the ones, they spell something wring and then do another post with the correct spelling

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRR angry

We understand what you meant, you don't have to patronise us!

foxymolly Mon 21-Jul-08 15:11:12

wrong wink

Oblomov Mon 21-Jul-08 15:18:34

ScottishMummy, now thats what I was after. A concise TOP 10.
Love it.

Pan Mon 21-Jul-08 15:22:36

Don't make sweeping generalisations..i.e. 'aren't men stupid/coarse/lazy/vulgar/ all the same?'...no, there are some excellent blokes on here,and some who are poster's dps/dhs.

there is nothing attractive in grabbing a pitchfork...

yes, posting when 3 sheets is utterly fab. For everyone but you. Esp. the following day......

Be prepared when venturing to the Bottle/Breast feeding killing fields.

Pan and VVVQV are infallible. Obv.

fryalot Mon 21-Jul-08 15:24:15

infallible, pan?

except when it comes to football teams obviously wink

Pan Mon 21-Jul-08 15:24:44

Oblomov - Pedants Corner is a proper noun, so attracts capitals for both words.

Just saying....grin

FluffyMummy123 Mon 21-Jul-08 15:27:32

Message withdrawn

Pan Mon 21-Jul-08 15:27:36

SQUONK!!!!

thank the lord you missed out on Ronaldinho...would have destroyed the sort of spirit and team that Hughesy is trying to build.......and that Ronaldo kid? He can sling it!!

Pan Mon 21-Jul-08 15:30:04

Most important of all..ignore cod. Foxy, flirtatious women can dish it out to whosoever they choose to.
grin

fryalot Mon 21-Jul-08 15:33:09

<<<flicks hair away from eyes and flutters eyelashes at pan>>>

<<<rests chin on hands>>> oh, pan, you reeeeeeally think so?

Hughesy? shock pah!
wink

Slubberdegullion Mon 21-Jul-08 15:34:42

If you spot a thread in active convos requesting opinions about the potential purchase of a

£30000 handbag,

a huge bejewelled santary towel holder or

a small island in the indian ocean staffed by oiled Robert Redford (in his better days) clones

try to resist the urge of posting in a white hot orb of rage that you and your family live in a freecyled tupperware container and survive on ants and pond weed.

TeacherSaysSo Mon 21-Jul-08 15:35:03

Please change no.1, when there are long threads it can get confusing without an occasional cut and paste. Its not like in the real world when you an catch someones eye!

aaargh maybe cliquey personal conversations, nothing to do with the thread e.g. Pan/ squonk wink

fryalot Mon 21-Jul-08 15:44:35

guilty
blush

Oblomov Mon 21-Jul-08 15:46:12

PAN, you have just broken rule 7.

Slubberdegullion Mon 21-Jul-08 15:49:25

Oh and of course the opposite applies.

If there are lots of sensitive threads in active convos, think twice before starting a new thread on the pros and cons of the bejewelled sanitary towel holder.

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 15:49:25

USE PUNCTUATION!

If you can't use punctuation and/or need to rely on 'textspeak' to communicate please log onto LearnDirect and go back to school to learn to write properly and failing that see your GP for a referral to determine what your needs so you can master literacy.

And don't come tell me what a snob I am, my husband is functionally illiterate due to dyslexia and my child is SN and we're already fighting like mad to get her to one day learn to read and write properly.

FluffyMummy123 Mon 21-Jul-08 15:50:05

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 15:53:24

Why does everyone assume 'txtspk' users are dyslexic? My husband has both dysgraphia and dyslexia and he can't make heads nor tails of textspeak, it's utterly incomprehensible to him, especially when numbers are thrown in.

Pan Mon 21-Jul-08 15:55:46

Slubby - I could have mentioned your use of 'Pendants' rather than Pedants.......but that would have been..erm...pedantic......smile.

fryalot Mon 21-Jul-08 15:56:31

personally, I assume that txtspkrs are very, very young.

I tend to switch off after about four words though so seldom read posts by people who don't use proper words.

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 15:58:07

personally, I assume that txtspkrs are very, very young.

Which truly saddens me, squonk. I think, 'Shit, how's DD1 ever giong to learn to read and write English in such an environment, especially given her needs?'

Slubberdegullion Mon 21-Jul-08 15:59:06

Did I use the word pendants?

<most confused>

is this from another thread?

Are you being pedantic and referencing me from another thread?

That is two naughties in one post.

ggglimpopo Mon 21-Jul-08 15:59:26

No 44551# : No member (new or ancient) should even consider rehashing the McCann thread.

fryalot Mon 21-Jul-08 16:00:28

expat - I didn't mean that all youngsters can only speak in txtspk.

Just that people of a certain age (my age and a bit younger) weren't actually around for the advent of txtspk so it doesn't come naturally to us.

So fluent txtspkrs must be rather a lot younger than me in order to actually understand it.

(I think)

Pan Mon 21-Jul-08 16:02:30

From La Slubby.....

"No spelling corrections. Unless in Pendants conrer, coroner, corner. "

And please don't tell me off for cut n' pasting!!!! grin

Slubberdegullion Mon 21-Jul-08 16:06:47

OK I am so confused now.

Is Slubby the pet name you have for Oblomov, Pan?

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 16:07:57

I'm sitting on my hands then, after someone on another thread referred to people on benefits as 'paracites'.

fryalot Mon 21-Jul-08 16:15:22

um pan...

By Oblomov on Mon 21-Jul-08 15:05:47
No spelling corrections. Unless in Pendants conrer, coroner, corner.

twas la oblomov.

not la slubby.

grin

Pan Mon 21-Jul-08 16:16:15

Slubberdegullion - I am really sorry for dragging you into this mini-tragedy......I was laughing at your post re tupperware and pond weed you name stuck in my feeble brain, dislodging "Oblomov" from her rightful place.......[feeling slightly daft emocion]

Slubberdegullion Mon 21-Jul-08 16:17:35

Thanks squonk. I knew I hadn't posted about the pedants. I would never dare.

And I have never been called La Slubby before either, not that I mind looking a little French.

Slubberdegullion Mon 21-Jul-08 16:18:23

phew, well that's all sorted then. grin

Oblomov Mon 21-Jul-08 16:20:12

I have never posted about Pendants Corner before either. Won't again, don't worry wink

cocolepew Mon 21-Jul-08 16:20:48

I don't know how to cut and paste sad.

Slubberdegullion Mon 21-Jul-08 16:22:32

coco, you have really bad mouse issues don't you? grin

Oblomov I would post in the Pendants corner. I like accessories.

cocolepew Mon 21-Jul-08 16:24:36

I have changed it. It's like dragging a brick.

Slubberdegullion Mon 21-Jul-08 16:29:10

pmsl

although I think we might be breaking a rule here as we are having a private chat and referencing a previous thread which again was mostly a private chat.

Oh it's like walking on eggshells here isn't it?

cocolepew Mon 21-Jul-08 16:42:47

Well it wasn't just us.

Crap. Doing it again.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<runs away>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!

iCodandnotDumb Mon 21-Jul-08 16:43:31

dont come on swaggering abotu some qulaificaiton no one has heard of

cocolepew Mon 21-Jul-08 16:44:42

Did I mention my BAGA 3 and 4?
<preens>.

talilac Mon 21-Jul-08 16:49:11

Agree with the sweeping generalisations about men, its a bit rubbish no matter how pissed off you are with your dp.

Also, I personally do not like the whole "I can't believe my DP/DH did such and such, he's going to get such a slap when he gets home" or kicking or whatever. It wouldn't be acceptable in a man talking about a woman, why is it okay coming from a woman?

Lastly I do think its okay to rehash topics that have been discussed before. Posters come and go and a forum like this is an opportunity to debate your points and clarify your thinking. Reading what someone said on an issue last year is not the same. Saying that, I agree that the McCanns don't really need any new threads.

Oblomov Mon 21-Jul-08 17:18:32

Coco, I have all my BAGA's aswell grin
See you arab spring later.

IdrisTheDragon Mon 21-Jul-08 18:00:33

I got up to BAGA Award 2

cocolepew Mon 21-Jul-08 18:11:52

Oblomov, I only have 2 sad. Would you like to see my crabs?

Hoonette Mon 21-Jul-08 18:29:55

I think a guide to MN would be a really good idea. It is hard to pick up on the local lingo and rules.

Imo, mention needs to be made of:

Gina Ford
Etiquette regarding choosing a name
MN-specific slang (fanjo, for example)

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 21-Jul-08 18:30:59

ROFL at Pan's cock up grin You are showing your ancientge

Poor slubby grin

No sweeping generalisations fullstop please.

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Mon 21-Jul-08 18:36:00

don't be alarmed if you come on to have a general gripe about your dh not doing the washing up and about a million woman tell you to leave him and give you contact details for the nearest refuge.

MrsSprat Mon 21-Jul-08 19:20:20

Yes, some kind of guide should be done like this one

ButterflyBessie Mon 21-Jul-08 19:26:44

By VeniVidiVickiQV on Mon 21-Jul-08 12:29:26
Oh, dont mention the man in the red suit in thread titles.....

Why not?hmm

beansprout Mon 21-Jul-08 19:27:55

lol at Goat!

Indeed, the answer to most relationship problems is to leave him NOW before it all gets any worse. And we'll support you hun.

S1ur Mon 21-Jul-08 19:38:25

A general guide for how to behave on an internet forum

Rather than writing the rules down, I suggest we all make up some more, hide them from each other and stick to them steadfastedly and vehemently and then change them without reason.

An etiquette based on mornington crescent.

OK so I've blown at least 5 of those rules since I started MN-ing then!! grin

Carmenere Mon 21-Jul-08 20:27:20

ButterflyB you can't mention the red suit man being not true in thread titles because in the past children of mners have read a thread title on that subject over their shoulder and been very upset.

slim22 Mon 21-Jul-08 20:37:36

Beansprout!
Can't use hun remember?

ScottishMummy Mon 21-Jul-08 21:22:47

man in red suit do you mean ole nick Saint Nicholas?

nimfobimbo Mon 21-Jul-08 21:24:37

Hello everyone

ScottishMummy Mon 21-Jul-08 21:26:24

salutations to you and all convivial MNetters

nimfobimbo Mon 21-Jul-08 21:26:56

I'm new on here and thought this would be a good place to start LOL. So I can learn the basics. Am finding this quite hard to use at the moment to be honest. Too many thingys.

nimfobimbo Mon 21-Jul-08 21:29:38

Is this a real thing or just made up rules?

Califrau Mon 21-Jul-08 21:33:54

No numbers or mum/mummy/mom etc in names. Tis Naffola (sorry Scottishmummy but it's time you knew!)

ScottishMummy Mon 21-Jul-08 21:34:02

LOL just bit of fun, faffing about really just get stuck in

avoid sahm/working mums threads unless you like argy bargy

be bold

remember it isn't real

ScottishMummy Mon 21-Jul-08 21:36:40

nah!any name ending in frau is cremola foam crappola.yes time you knew...

Califrau Mon 21-Jul-08 21:38:24

Oh and if you join and find you have a similar name to someone more important an existing known Mner, have the courtesy to change your name!

mamadiva Mon 21-Jul-08 21:39:04

LOL just saw this thread thing and had to laugh am new here too. Looks like I came to the right place if I don't want to have a run in.

Califrau Mon 21-Jul-08 21:39:34

[sticky out tongue emoticon]

mamadiva Mon 21-Jul-08 21:40:56

How do I know if someones name is like mine?

ScottishMummy Mon 21-Jul-08 21:42:50

dont be cheeky and then get humphy sticky outy tongue when you get a response

Califrau Mon 21-Jul-08 21:45:06

there are several ways - the main one is that SOMEONE WILL TELL YOU! LOUDLY!

We have several Divasomethings and several Mamasomethings but to my knowledge you're fairly safe with Mamadiva. You'd have trouble if there was a Mummadiva or a Mamadive or something but I think you're safe.

mamadiva Mon 21-Jul-08 21:46:31

LOL there is an awful lot to remember here. What happens if I do something will I get shouted at? LOL

Also I have spotted several things on the list that I do, text speak is a bad habit I must get rid of. Not really bad just U and R other than that I'm not too bad. Promise.

So should I watch out for anyone or any topics?

ScottishMummy Mon 21-Jul-08 21:49:31

get stuck in
it isnt real
have fun
switch off and switch off

sahm/working mum
breast/bottle

best avoided argy bagyangry humphy faces
dull, cyclical,same ole same ole

mamadiva Mon 21-Jul-08 21:52:30

Okay seems fair enough thanks for the advice must bear in mind no feeding or angry mothers LOL. So basically avoid motherhood altogether then.

Pan Tue 22-Jul-08 09:07:32

That's very childish of you, VVVQV.

<< and Oblomov DID talk about pendants corner.......as Pan displays that admirable male characteristic of not letting something drop when the rest of the universe screams he should..>>

beanieb Tue 22-Jul-08 09:11:27

About this cod thing, and I am not cod bashing, but it can be quite weird for a new person to have someone change their name so often and write all sorts of stuff which everyone else seems to understand except for you!

I am still unclear about who or why she is ...

Pan Tue 22-Jul-08 09:13:35

oh cod occassionally asks for it by chucking out the odd incendiary of her own......she doesn't need bashing..or molly-coddling either.

juneybean Tue 22-Jul-08 11:26:14

This thread amuses me, how do we all feel about actions in stars a la hugs sobs ...I do this far too often and I have no intention of stopping :P

juneybean Tue 22-Jul-08 11:26:43

Ooo er I forgot that * * made boldness!

MrsBadger Tue 22-Jul-08 11:37:46

grin

that's why we don't do it

square brackets are permissible

[look sternly over specs]

Slubberdegullion Tue 22-Jul-08 11:41:47

ahhh now MrsB this is something I need clearing up.

I thought [ ] were for emoticons that do'nt exist

[slightly fed up]

< > were for doing

<scratches knee>

and

<< >> these were for thinking

<<comtemplates bee colony crisis>>

I will await your reply. You tend to know about these things.

Slubberdegullion Tue 22-Jul-08 11:42:22

aarrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhh

don't

buggery buggery buggery

MrsBadger Tue 22-Jul-08 11:49:53

I think they are interchangeable

after all you type 'smile', 'grin', 'wink' in square brackets - why not 'frets' or 'scratches' or 'potters off down the garden' or 'contemplates bee crisis'?
The fact that some actions end up translated into pictures isn't really relevant IMO.

And to use double pointy brackets for thoughts would mean typing <<bee crisis>> which looks odd. Contemplating is just another action...

Slubberdegullion Tue 22-Jul-08 12:13:52

OK. So we have relaxed rules on bracket usage.

littlelapin Tue 22-Jul-08 12:16:05

<waves to Slubber>

<<contemplates making cake>>

Slubberdegullion Tue 22-Jul-08 12:17:41

[waves back at lapin]

<contemplates creating a personal bee colony crisis>

<<non conformist bracket user>>

[considers whether to turn off monitor and go play with DCs]

<<wonders who DavidGest is>>

[secret pash]

Slubberdegullion Tue 22-Jul-08 12:20:54

are these { } only for

{{{{{hugs}}}}} though?

They do look a bit like arms.

littlelapin Tue 22-Jul-08 12:20:56

{confuses issue}

Slubberdegullion Tue 22-Jul-08 12:21:44

Ironic {{{{{hugs}}}}} only obviously.

Slubberdegullion Tue 22-Jul-08 12:22:25

And this little git ~ here. What is he for then?

<<applauds clever use of ironic>>

[git envy]

I ain't got one of them

MrsBadger Tue 22-Jul-08 12:24:28

now originally the convention was {{{Slubber}}} to indicate the poster was enclosed in soft curvy arms ie being hugged [vom]

I can do §§§ too, which I think is a belly dancing spider

Slubberdegullion Tue 22-Jul-08 12:24:53

~pike with double inverted twist~

Diving techniques?

littlelapin Tue 22-Jul-08 12:25:41

Ahh the tilde ~ is a grapheme with several uses. The name of the character comes from Spanish, from the Latin titulus meaning a title or superscription, though the term “tilde” has a different meaning in Spanish. It was originally written over a letter as a mark of abbreviation, but has since acquired a number of other uses as a diacritic mark or a character in its own right.

Slubberdegullion Tue 22-Jul-08 12:25:47

oooh look at that. MrsB has a belly dancing spider doohickey envy

<<eyes boggle>>

<<goes for a lie down>>

Ooooh look , I found one ~

Slubberdegullion Tue 22-Jul-08 12:27:35

Right, so I have read that post from lapin like 4 times now and the tilde is still a mystery to me.

<stomps on ~ >

littlelapin Tue 22-Jul-08 12:27:50

¬ I want a tapdancing spider envy

Slubberdegullion Tue 22-Jul-08 12:33:54

¬ hey hey hey. I have a ¬ jobby too. And what is that then lapin?

<prepares self for dulldom interesting definition>

<feels bad about tilde violence>

{{{{{{{{{{ ~ }}}}}}}}}}}}}

<phones bracket helpline>

Slubberdegullion Tue 22-Jul-08 12:53:38

Is it a tap? ¬

or limp wristed? ¬

I'm not sure I'm allowed to say that.

Maybe it is a bookend that has toppled over.

¬

It's a funny wee thing, and there doesn't seem to be another one in reverse. It's all alone and unsymetrical sad

MrsBadger Tue 22-Jul-08 13:01:56

it's a printing mark thing, isn't it?

Slubberdegullion Tue 22-Jul-08 13:29:09

¬

hmm, yes, I'm sure you are right MrsB.

¬

It's growing on me now. I'm going to pop one in now and again and see if anyone notices.

Carmenere Wed 23-Jul-08 15:03:27

It is unwise to assume that the reason that your dc are good eaters/good sleepers/good readers is down to your parenting. (well on mn anyway, privately you can be as smug as you likewink)

talilac Wed 23-Jul-08 22:41:36

Should someone have the courtesy to reply to a question you've asked, do at least acknowledge their post..

Carmenere Wed 23-Jul-08 22:42:52

oh yes, that is a good one taliac. Bumping your thread without acknowledging the previous poster is a no no.

Ignores the whole thread and waves to Carmenere.........

Carmenere Wed 23-Jul-08 22:48:45

Hellogrin

talilac Wed 23-Jul-08 22:49:54

Sorry just been off thanking people for their help!

We really need a lunch...is A for school in September ??

I have the first week in September off.Could do the Friday.............................................................................................. ...................................................................dots denote length of lunchgrin

The week previous, will be spent in Baltimore, with a trip to Sherkin, funny how you recreate your childhood for your children.

Or we could do dinner here, long walk for A and R, then we could all relax over dinner. grin

Carmenere Wed 23-Jul-08 23:19:22

Great plan, I am going to have to opt for inflict us on you though as my lovely CM is retiring at the beginning of August so that will put paid to my gallivanting lunches.

MarsLady Wed 23-Jul-08 23:23:19

<<Jumps in and invites self to lunch on LGJ's week off>>

Invites Marsy to house for dinner, you can sleep on the very comfortable bed setee. grin

Housemum Sat 26-Jul-08 09:42:09

~ symbol - if it's a tilde it must belong on cookery threads - it means basmati rice for tea (or is that Tilda??!)

I can't believe no one has mentioned the forbidden use of the F-word - thou shalt not mention the Fruit Shoot (aka the urine of the devil)

Also, if you have a child who models be prepared to be shot down in flames.

And you should just know about the one shouldn't need to ask

missorinoco Sat 26-Jul-08 19:57:17

Who is the man in the red suit?
Is this an acronym for Santa, or a mumsnet subtlety I've missed?

<nervously checks punctuation before posting>
wink

Rhubarb Sat 26-Jul-08 19:58:32

I hate them ones what go on threads when thyey is pissed cause that is just really really bad manners that is. I mean, you should give advice and sthit and when soleone turns up who is clearly opissed, well that'sjust taking the piss that is. In charge of kiddis an all, that's disgusting. I'd call in the ss.

abouteve Sat 26-Jul-08 20:02:43

SS on the way to Rhubarbs house as we speak grin.

Housemum, you got me!

Was in Greggs today, loads of parents buying Sausage rolls for their little darlings. I didn't buy anything, honest.

Rhubarb Sat 26-Jul-08 20:04:41

got kids sausages rolls and puies for their dinner.

went to piccys to see whassa film, shassa, oh yeah wally. saw ad for high school brats 3. whadda load of CRAP!

abouteve Sat 26-Jul-08 20:07:11

Everyones saying this about Wall e.

abouteve Sat 26-Jul-08 20:08:21

Sorry was Wall e any good? I thought you meant that it was crap. Must lay off the wine myself.

Rhubarb Sat 26-Jul-08 20:11:02

wally was ok, not bad,, ok but I caould have done with a horror myself, I hate brats flicks, but twas ok, kids liked it. Highs chool musical looks SHITE!

abouteve Sat 26-Jul-08 20:18:11

Thank god I'm over the brat flicks stage now.

squilly Sat 26-Jul-08 23:12:17

AbbeyA...I'm only on Page 2 and already I've hit one of my worst ones. Getting het up at an op, responding before the end then realising I've gone overboard/not seen retraction/mellowing of original point.

Am currently ignoring at least one of the threads I'm on cos of this.

In my defence, I was premenstrual at the time and dh escaped with his life, so really not so bad.

RealityGap Sat 26-Jul-08 23:46:56

is just jumping to the end of a thread to * wave * and say hi and ask if I can come and play against all the MN's rules?

Oh, nobody has mentioned: Dont have an affair with another mumsnetter. The fallout will be ugly.

KerryMum Sun 27-Jul-08 00:24:49

feck off the lot of you

thumbwitch Sun 27-Jul-08 00:46:55

he he - may of the posts on here made me laugh. As a newish MNer, I have probably fallen foul of a few of these non-rules but hey! live and learn.

One thing I would like to know is where on earth did the word "nork" come from? Understand it and have used it but it's a new one on me...

I cant answer that, I have never thought to ask! But I love the word! I came across a Norks Way in Surrey, and it made me giggle. grin

Housemum Sun 27-Jul-08 14:04:41

We have a Gobley Hole near Basingstoke...

thumbwitch Mon 28-Jul-08 23:02:26

just thought I'd have another attempt at finding out where the term "norks" came from...

Anyone? smile

RealityGap Tue 29-Jul-08 09:12:39

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nork

Nork is slang (originally and principally Australian English) for breast

ScottishMummy Tue 29-Jul-08 09:19:23

your link i associate norks wholly with MN,dont actually like the word though

thumbwitch Tue 29-Jul-08 09:26:56

ta for that never heard it outside MN either (and DH is Australian)

ScottishMummy Tue 29-Jul-08 09:28:40

norks sound positively agricultural.

zippitippitoes Tue 29-Jul-08 09:35:19

i seem to break quitre a few of these rules

My dp has always called them 'norks' don't know where he got it from, he's from the SW?

RealityGap Tue 29-Jul-08 10:20:55

thanks ScottishMummy for sorting my rubbishy link - I have just realised that there is a big paragraph next to this box that tells me how to make it neat and tidy

perhaps that is another rule that I have broken - crud links??

RealityGap Tue 29-Jul-08 10:25:25

Norks Everywhere

My Oxford Dictionary of Australian Colloquialisms, Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang, and the Oxford English Dictionary all list NORKS with no mention of NORAS:

NORKS (originally Australian) [1960s and still in use - they’ve been in use for a lot longer than that (<)] (also norgies, norgs, norkers) A woman’s breast. Usually in the plural [origin uncertain: the wrapping on Norco Co-operative Ltd. butter manufacturer from New South Wales, featured a cow’s utter on its labels]

Quote:
<1962 “Hello, honey, that sweater—one deep breath and your NORKS will be in my soup.”— The Delinquents by C. Rohna, page 157>

<1966 “Nork, a female breast, usually in plural. (Ex Norco Co-operative Ltd., a butter manufacturer in N.S.W.). The form NORG is reported from Melbourne.”—The Australian Language (edition 2) by S. J. Baker, x. page 215>

<1970 “Wow, she’s peeled right off. What NORKS!”—Let’s Hear it for Prendergast by Barry Oakley

<1972 “She's only a body, all she's got is big NORKS.”—The Thrill Machine by I. Hamilton, iii. page 17>

<1973 “Hits herself in the eye with an independent NORK it isn't any laughing matter.”—The Eye of the Storm by P. White, page 593>

<1980 “All Maureen’s got to do is trail one of her big lovely NORKS at him and the bugger dashes off another one of his press releases.”—Thomas Keneally in Days of Wine and Rage edited by Frank Moorhouse, page 252>

<1999 “Mammary glands, it would seem, are a constantly expanding vista awaiting its conqueror: from mounds to hills to peaks to cliffs to mountains to Tetons to hemispheres to globes to the Milky Way. Peepers can be all that is in this universe as well as what isn't, from the incantatory (cha-chas, che-chees, moo-moos, yayas) to the nonsensical (choozzies, diddies, dubbies, norgies, NORKS, noogies, wongas) to the vaguely religious (goonas, jaboos, tora-loorals).”—Esquire, 1 February>

<2002 “What about when she flashed her NORKS on national TV as a birthday present for the host?”—Age (Melbourne) (Nexis) (Culture section), 28 March, page 7> Culture? (<)

<2004 “Mums-to-be Gwyneth Paltrow and Sara Cox show they're really shaping up for motherhood - to the delight of their fans. . . Sara, back from Brazil . . .told Radio 1 listeners this week: ‘My NORKS are huge.’ Seems our Sara has hit the big time all round . . .”—The Record (London), 26 March>

<2006 “It must be almost impossible model, or whatever, Katie Jordan to put the kettle on without those NORKS getting in the way, . . .”—Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland) 13 November>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now