Urgen help..I have trapped a live rat under a bucket, what shall I do now??

(129 Posts)
Blu Thu 03-Jul-08 08:53:26

I have called the council...nrecorded message. DP is yelling impractical instructions at me (ME^!) as to how I should kill it, and it's right outside the rabbits door so I can't get in to feedthem. It's under an upturnd bucket which is weighted down by rocks.

What shall do??

BibiThree Sun 06-Jul-08 23:32:32

Welcome to Mumsnet! grin]

pourmeabigone Sun 06-Jul-08 23:24:18

This is my first hit on this website...what a scream!! I thought it would be more along the lines of "would it be wrong to sew velcro into my little ones PJS so she will stay in bed?" or "why isnt NASA interested in the adhesive properties of dried on wheatabix" Instead I now know how to murder kangaroos, hedgehogs, mice, fish and rats!!

1dilemma Sat 05-Jul-08 00:06:13

Thanks for that Cali grin

CaliFrauthOfJuly Fri 04-Jul-08 22:04:30

I was ill when we moved into our 1st home. (I was suffering the tale end of the evil camylobacter food poisoning that DH had given me on our 1st wedding anniversary when he tried to kill me with a chicken). It was a very stressful time. We engaged the help of DS2's flakey godfather to help with the unloading of the truck as I was weak and baaad. DH was snippy and snipey and a general grot bag and I sat pale and wan on an arm chair in the middle of an empty living room weeping with exhaustion and stress.
<there is a relevant point to this story - bear with me!>
Once the truck was empty and DH had eaten he held my hand and took me into the garden to see one of our empty flowerpots. Therein sat a beautiful frog. He apologised and said he had been a git and that he though the fwog would cheer me up a bit. It did in an odd sort of way. 3 days later when I was feeling a leetle more chipper, I ventured back into the garden and the frog was still there - in exactly the same position - just starting to decay. My dearest darling had taken me from my convalescing chair to coo over a dead frog hmm

FioFio Fri 04-Jul-08 20:03:37

Message deleted

cocolepew Fri 04-Jul-08 17:47:41

Just think if Bumper hadn't been such a slut flirt, he could still be alive today sad

cocolepew Fri 04-Jul-08 17:42:37

OOps

cocolepew Fri 04-Jul-08 17:42:05

My Gran had no sense of smell. My Mum, on the other hand, was running down the street, shrieking.

cocolepew Fri 04-Jul-08 17:42:05

My Gran had no sense of smell. My Mum, on the other hand, was running down the street, shrieking.

Monkeytrousers Fri 04-Jul-08 17:28:48

OMG Cocolepew - what a pong that would have made! Roast rat envy (that's not envy)

Monkeytrousers Fri 04-Jul-08 17:24:59

Can it cook? Get it to make the tea!

stuckinthecorner Fri 04-Jul-08 17:23:22

I was sat at home one christmas, making pom pom snowmen, with dd who had chicken pox. Loud sound of breaking glass as a dim witted pigeon flew through the window... completely mangled itself, blood everywhere and getting worse as it flapped around. The room looked like a scene from Reservoir dogs!!! I too behaved in the truely feminist way and ran next door to the neighbour... poxy child and pom poms in tow. Thought dd would be traumatised forever - her only comment was "I wouldnt have been scared if it had knocked first"!!!grin

onebatmother Fri 04-Jul-08 16:50:41

that was a very touching vignette, LadyThompson.

LadyThompson Fri 04-Jul-08 16:41:30

Oh Blu, sorry! I should add

a) the rabbit was quite old and maybe died of shock

b) afterwards we found a hole chewed in the back of the hutch - maybe by the erstwhile rat? - so it could have been going on a long time and he could have been stealing her food.

Or maybe he was just a rat, head-over-paws with a wabbit, asking him to love her.

The rabbit was called Bumper. I don't know what the flying rat was called.

Blu Fri 04-Jul-08 16:36:29

Aaaargh - LadyThompson - are you now telling me that the rabbits wil be the next t go?

That's all i need shock

MI...y-e-e-e-es...but even I draw the line at feeding poisoned, toxic rats to darling fluffy-wuffy puddytats. hmm.

I once arrived as an international guest of a big festival to stay in the house of some VIP organiser The house was in uproar when I arrived - the young DS of my host and his friend had built a Lego house for the older DS's pet mouse and, unsupervised, had tried to stuff the hapless mouse into the house headfirst down the Lego chimney. Blood from it's little (deceased) snout was all over the VIP Dinner white tablecloth, all children in distraught furore, mother of visiting child in tense horror, lady of the house trying to offer me hospitable yet formal welcome...

motherinferior Fri 04-Jul-08 15:09:47

Blu, you know I'm going to suggest nipping round with one of our cats...

onebatmother Fri 04-Jul-08 15:07:03

we had one a couple of years ago. Rentokil came round and put poison down. I had to leave for 3 weeks. DP lurked with an air-rifle, twitching.

After 2 night dp went outside and, out of the corner of his eye, saw the rat, at eye level, emerging from the lead flashings on the low roof of our kitchen extension with its horrid ratty teeth bared ... about to leap at his face!

He shrieked (inadvertently releasing a small amount of urine), swung the air-rifle round and prepared to shoot at point-blank range.

Then realized it was dead, and had been for some considerable time, poisoned by the clever rentokil man. His Clint Eastwood heroics were all in vain. Plus, DP had to call him back to remove the rat [wuss] grin

And if the truth be told, I have never felt truly comfortable in this house since.

BlueDragonfly Fri 04-Jul-08 13:39:26

i avoided tis thread until i clicked it in error just now. I am crying with laughter grin

Fimbo Fri 04-Jul-08 13:33:23

We have splat the rat at the school fair. wink

Dd came running from here room screaming there was a pigeon under her desk. Impossible thought I and go off to investigate.

Sure enough dying pigeon under desk, it was a hot summer day and the windows were wide open but the smell of dying pigeon will stay with me forever.

We ran out of the room and phoned dh to come home immediately.

He wrapped it up and tossed it into a neighbouring field.

daisylaisy Fri 04-Jul-08 13:17:17

I'm bumping this purely to keep it in "my Threads" section. PMSL

Kimi Fri 04-Jul-08 12:54:56

I am going to email myself this thread so I can keep it and read it on days I feel down

LadyThompson Fri 04-Jul-08 12:51:56

Oh my life, this is the best thread ever. A rat leapt out of my rabbit's hutch when I was feeding it once (WHY ARE THEY DRAWN TO RABBITS - is is the food?)- unsurprisingly the rabbit died about a week later. I still have nightmares about that kamikaze flying rat.

SheherazadetheGoat Fri 04-Jul-08 12:49:05

when i was growing up it was de rigeur to have a sock filled with lead (like a bean bag with attitude) said sock was hurled at passing rats. v. effective.

Slubberdekangaroomurderer Fri 04-Jul-08 12:48:33

coco, maybe this is my special gift. Could I be an extra on Heroes with it. Would Sylar want me?

cocolepew Fri 04-Jul-08 12:46:58

Or feed it to a cat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now