Urgen help..I have trapped a live rat under a bucket, what shall I do now??

(129 Posts)
Blu Thu 03-Jul-08 08:53:26

I have called the council...nrecorded message. DP is yelling impractical instructions at me (ME^!) as to how I should kill it, and it's right outside the rabbits door so I can't get in to feedthem. It's under an upturnd bucket which is weighted down by rocks.

What shall do??

unclefluffy Thu 03-Jul-08 14:51:34

If my dad had been a golfer it sounds as though he might have had an easier time of it! grin

ajandjjmum Thu 03-Jul-08 15:01:21

I'm not a golfer - I suddenly became one though! Funnily enough, dh was out playing golf with Mum and Dad - they reckoned mine was the best shot of the day. grin

littlemisssplendid Thu 03-Jul-08 15:21:39

I had a similar situation with a mouse. I slid a trivial pursuit board underneath and then disposed of it the garden. The neighbours thought I was mad!!

JoshandJamie Thu 03-Jul-08 15:34:38

This thread is making me cry laughing. So glad it's not just me who uses mumsnet for wildlife in garden type disasters.

But am gobsmacked you can call the council for this. Really? They actually have a 'rat department?' Do they have a 'bird flew in the house' department or a 'a hawk is killing a bird in my garden' department?

fifibb Thu 03-Jul-08 15:56:57

when i was a kid my dad (a farmer) used to take me, my brother, neighbouring farm workers and their dogs rat-catching. this involved lifting up the bottom bales of hay in the big hay barn where the (not so little) buggers had been nesting all year. we all had to stand in a big circle and kick them back as they tried to escape so the dogs could get them. i was useless and let them run over my feet and out the door
anyway, on one occasion my dad's well-hard farming assistant picked up a bale and found herself eyeballing mummy rat with all her babies. mummy rat got cross, jumped up and bit her on the neck.... and held on!! well-hard farm hand squeezed rat hard and killed it. problem was, rat still didn't let go so she had to go to hospital to get it removed.
25 years later, if i ever see a rat - even on telly - i nearly pass out, so hats off to you blu for your bravado - and your bucket-wealding skills.

starkadder Thu 03-Jul-08 16:16:03

that's mother love for you. even if she was a rat...

CrushWithEyeliner Thu 03-Jul-08 16:20:58

wow you must be quicker than a quick thing they are so hard to catch. the council won't come out for a domestic rat you have to call rentokill. and it must be killed, they carry really awful diseases and would have been attracted by your rabbit....

Boco Thu 03-Jul-08 16:25:40

OH my god. Unclefluffy's post is the worst thing I've ever read - a grueling account of rat torture to rival any irvine welsh.

<puke>

unclefluffy Thu 03-Jul-08 16:29:27

Oh come one! Surely fifi's 'vampire rat' is worse!? grin

cocolepew Thu 03-Jul-08 16:29:57

I would pack up and move house. Seriously.

My friend had rats in her loft, she put on a pair of Marigolds, got a bucket of water, caught them with her hands and drowned them.

Boco Thu 03-Jul-08 16:33:14

<sob>

Why am I reading? Why?

<pokes self in eyes>

CrushWithEyeliner Thu 03-Jul-08 16:35:12

OMG cc that is hardcore - respect! 2 burly guys from rentokill couldn't get one with traps and poison in my kitchen once. That was utter hell.

Bundle Thu 03-Jul-08 16:37:04

<<impressed emoticon>>

this is what I did in a similar situation....weighted bin lid down while I went out...yes, it was in the kitchen bin (can hardly bear to type that) went to Wilco's and bought the most toxic volatile stuff I could, some kind of cleaning fluid, soaked a rag with it, slipped rag in bin, weighted lid down again, left it for several hours till I figured rat would be humanely dispatched. Then I took the bin out to the garden so I could dispose of the rat. I tipped the bin out, rat fell out...groggy but not dead!! So I had to grab a spade and kill it, felt like I was using my bare hands, and I was in total shock and swearing and screaming at the top of my voice, while the nice girls from the school nearby walked past to their hockey lesson. Was a complete wreck, but had about half an hour before I had to go to school to teach Y6 science. Luckily my very kind neighbour was available for me to debrief.
I totally aggree, rats are hard bastards.

TurkeyLurkey Thu 03-Jul-08 16:42:02

One of my friends cleared her bedroom out recently as they were decorating. When they moved their bed they found a dead rat underneath it!

She reckons it was a big old man rat and had died of old age.

She says she used to hear scrabbling at night and but thought it was the kids messing about.!!

Unclefluffy - Respect to your Dad, sounds like an episode of Die Hard or something grin

bearmama Thu 03-Jul-08 16:44:00

Am i missing something here? Is it outside?
Why dont you just let it go?
I have pet rats so not loving the whole hysterical poison thing hmm

cocolepew Thu 03-Jul-08 16:45:18

My Gran was sitting in her house when a rat wandered into view, she picked up her coal shovel, smacked on it the head and picked it up and threw it in the fire. The whole time carrying on with her conversation as if nothing had happened.

Rats may be hard, but my Gran was harder grin

TurkeyLurkey Thu 03-Jul-08 16:46:31

Now thats hard Cocolepew.

mazzystar Thu 03-Jul-08 16:48:03

respect to your granny coco

JoshandJamie Thu 03-Jul-08 16:49:38

LOL at Cocolepew's gran.

<bows down to all who are able to kill things>

I am a wuss of the highest order. If I had a rat in my garden, it would be carrying the pet rabbits away before I tackled it. Then again I wouldn't have pet rabbits either so either way, not a problem.

Boco Thu 03-Jul-08 16:52:48

I can't even kill an ant.

<glares in a Buddhist type way>

unclefluffy Thu 03-Jul-08 16:57:28

<tries to imagine Buddhist death stare>
<fails>
<wonders if they have any effect on rats>

Slubberdegullion Thu 03-Jul-08 16:58:14

I have never killed a rat sad

I've killed loads of other things though:

squirrel (2) [gas & directing traffic over]
fish [teaspoon]
mice [various methods]
kangaroo [car]
rabbit [car]
duck [car]

I remember my dad trying to dispatch a fatally injured swan by the side of the road once, and winding away at its neck and its body just unravelling away underneath. he was so ashamed, being a vet and all.

Slubberdegullion Thu 03-Jul-08 17:07:28

I would like to point out that I do not enjoy killing animals. All the previous cases were either horribly injured and I help put them out of their misery, or they jumped/flew in front of my car.

However rats are foul and horrid and if I had to hit one with a spade I would.

cocolepew Thu 03-Jul-08 17:08:36

You killed a fish with a teaspoon?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now