Where can I buy a child's wetsuit?

(38 Posts)
ListersSister Wed 14-May-08 12:57:33

I am looking for a wetsuit for a 5 yr old, but I don't want a normal 30mm one as it is for swimming in a pool. I am looking for a 15mm one, as these are lightweight and easy to get on, plus give better movement than a traditional thicker one.

I did have a toddler one in 15mm, but it is now too small, so where can I get one for an older child? Please help smile. My child needs a wetsuit or she goes blue lol!

Notquitegrownup Wed 14-May-08 12:59:07

You can buy them online. I think I remember a really good website - something to do with Lions. Lion in the Sun?

MargaretMountford Wed 14-May-08 13:08:22

I've seen them in Sainsbury's

brimfull Wed 14-May-08 13:15:05

lidl sometimes
aldi
asda
sainsbury

Iklboo Wed 14-May-08 13:16:22

Our Lidl has some in

piratecat Wed 14-May-08 13:17:59

somerfield have them, i just bought dd a new one. I have two spare here but they would be too small. my dd is 6.

ListersSister Wed 14-May-08 22:54:05

Ta guys - I didn't realise supermarkets sold them I will do a tour of those in my area smile

SchnitzelVonKrumm Wed 14-May-08 23:04:46
nappyaddict Wed 14-May-08 23:05:10

how do you know how thick they are? ds is still cold in his so thinking it might not be 30mm.

SubRosa Wed 14-May-08 23:11:28

Tesco have some cheap ones, I think they're Wetsuit Factory (cheap, but ok brand).

wohmum Wed 14-May-08 23:13:04

there's one in 'for sale' for a 4-5 yr old, not sure of thickness though.

TK Maxx have them as do Matalan

nappyaddict Fri 16-May-08 16:01:49

i thought they only came in 5mm or 3mm? 30mm seems very thick. that's

jura Fri 16-May-08 16:18:03

I thought the standard was 3mm too.

They are normally described as 3/2, meaning 3mm on the body and 2mm on the arms/legs for added flexibility. I've read somewhere that 2mm or thinner tends to stretch and doesn't hug the body enough so the water keeps flushing through and never warms up...

Tatterdemalion Fri 16-May-08 16:20:35

ebay

nappyaddict Fri 16-May-08 16:21:24

maybe she means 1.5mm and 3.0mm but forgot the decimal point? that would make sense.

whatsoccurring Fri 16-May-08 16:22:49

Tesco have the atm, got DD one the other day for £13 smallest size, she went in the sea with it on and was fine and warm, first swim of the year smile

ListersSister Fri 16-May-08 16:23:45

Durr, yes I meant 3mm rather than 1.5mm...

I have now purchased a 3mm one from the wetsuit factory via tinternet. Couldn't find any in the supermarkets round our way for some reason. the current suit wasn't really a wetsuit, more a neopreme shell. The new one looks thicker obviously, but is still very flexible. No blue dd smile
Thanks again

chunkychips Fri 16-May-08 16:24:57

great little trading company do them, although you will pay through the nose. Tesco looks like the best option, haven't seen them in ours though.

dustystar Fri 16-May-08 16:26:06

The new Aldi stores in Boscombe and Poole are selling them for £4

nappyaddict Fri 16-May-08 16:27:44

LS - where did you get the 1.5mm one from?

ListersSister Fri 16-May-08 16:32:01

Nappy - Mike's Diving - ebay shop. Fab service and really quick.

Have had a 1.5 suit for over a year, used once a week, plus all day for a week on holidays and it is still fine smile

Quick question for those who have used wetsuits on kids before (or indeed on adults).

How quickly do they dry?

Am thinking of holidays where you take the wetsuit home and then it needs to be dry the next day - and in wetsuit weather things don't always dry quickly.

Am v. tempted by one for me & DH too because we have a loan of a house nr Cherbourg and often find it too cold to swim there.

ohnoherewego Fri 16-May-08 16:48:24

Got them for me and dc in Decathlon last year. Really cheap and they dry very quickly; have taken mine off before lunch and ok to wear again after. Even if it is damp it's a lot more pleaseant than wriggling into a wet swimsuit!

cornsilk Fri 16-May-08 16:48:34

I get them from O'Neill usually. Quite expensive. Have also bought them from 'surfing' shops whilst on holiday. They dry very quickly. I think they are a lifesaver on holiday. So much easier than faffing about cossies.

nappyaddict Fri 16-May-08 16:48:37

haven'tslept....

i have this

OK. So now I have to decide between the thinner ones (thank you nappyaddict) and a thicker one.

We are wimps so am thinking we need thicker, right?

nappyaddict Fri 16-May-08 17:05:44

ds wears a 3mm and a 5mm one together cos on their own he is still too cold.

So a tshirt underneath and then a wetsuit on top?

Is that in summer or early on in the season?

thanks

nappyaddict Sun 18-May-08 12:48:11

he actually wears a mothercare one like this underneath and then he wears one of these on top. he wears that all year round.

cadelaide Sun 18-May-08 12:52:00

here, see sellers other items

Oh ok nappyaddict. I think I may need 2 for my skinny as a rake 3 yr old. Doesn't it get really bulky?

MilaMae Sun 18-May-08 19:42:02

I have to get 3 (there is only a year between my twins and dd) ouch!!!!!!!!!

We live near the sea so will use them a lot but would ideally want them big to get another year out of them. Is getting them on the big size ok?????

foxinsocks Sun 18-May-08 19:46:32

they dry very quickly, especially in the sun. I'd leave ours out overnight and they'd be fine the next day. On a colder day, they might be a little damp but not horrendous. I think ours are 3mm.

you cannot get a size too big...if they aren't a tight fit, they don't work because the water gets in. They work by being a sort of second skin on the outside.

Ds is skinny as a rake and his wetsuit gets little pockets where it's not tight on his skin and he gets cold. I would recommend trying them on. I bought ours online.

The other thing I would take into consideration is their necks....we are ALL a bit clothes fussy (mine don't like labels in their shirts or itchy material) and they found the fact that the wetsuits were tight round their necks REALLY restrictive to the extent that I had to leave ds's wetsuit not fully done up (which defeated the whole purpose of it!) so again, if you can, I'd try them on if your children don't like tight stuff on etc.

tigermoth Sun 18-May-08 19:46:51

Ebay is brilliant for second hand ones - when I was looking in feb/March you could get really good quality ones in auctions for under a tenner - I guess children grow out of them quickly. I bid and won a really nice one for my son.

nappyaddict Mon 19-May-08 12:11:35

nope not bulky at all. but like foxy said you can't get the next size up cos they have to be really tight fitting. the way they work is by letting in a small layer of water between the skin and the suit. if the gap is too big the layer of water will be too big and they'll get cold.

Ok - judging by the advice we need to get down to Decathlon rather than order on-line.
thanks everyone

schmitfa Mon 08-Apr-13 18:15:34

The best website for me is still eBay . Somehow everything is so convenient there and you can always trust you are getting a great deal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now