So who would knows about perimenopause and menopause then .. and how come we aren't taught / don't discuss in advance

(443 Posts)
Twiglett Sun 30-Dec-07 20:25:42

OK I'm 40 so possibly in reach of the perimenopause which I understand can start 10 years before the menopause

I've had a bug that is also giving me hot sweats, I've also been raging more than normal

I've ordered a book that has been recommended to me but I know nothing

(much as I knew nothing about my cycle 'til I read Toni Weschler's book)

am just reviving this thread as I hit 50 this week and have so far had no signs of impending menopause - everything as normal, the only thing I noted this week is some breast tenderness/ache (almost 2 wks after period)on one side,has lessened today..perhaps it means that next period is coming sooner than usual /

motherinferior Sun 13-Jan-08 12:43:10

Will purchase W&H termorrer, honest guv.

webcrone Sun 13-Jan-08 12:02:20

Article in The Guardian, 5th January, 'Family' section. Here:

I am beginning again

WideWebWitch Sun 13-Jan-08 11:58:36

lol at Cronesnet. I read the W&H article too, it needed a longer piece imo. So MI, get on it, do

Squiffy Sun 13-Jan-08 11:51:31

35? Ah, the foolishness of youth.

The combination of the menaopause thread and pucka's post-partum poo post means that I can't look at a prune today.

Beetroot Sat 12-Jan-08 20:35:31

Have ordered it and a book on eating for the menopause.

OH fuck - I don't think I am perimenopausal - not even thought about it until today!!

ZippiBabes Sat 12-Jan-08 19:50:41

lol at thinking about it at 35 that's like thinking about being a teenager at 2

pointydog Sat 12-Jan-08 19:45:53

my mum gave me a huge bundle of mags yesterday and in woman and home was an article on this!

By heather currie whose website someone on here mentioned.

Threw me into a blue funk again

Twiglett Sat 12-Jan-08 19:30:22

The Wisdom of Menopause

you can look inside it on Amazon and read the introductin as well as see the table of contents

have to admit haven't got beyond first couple of pages yet though

JackieNo Sat 12-Jan-08 19:25:18

Mmm - Cronesnetgrin. Has a certain ring about it, doesn't it.

Beetroot Sat 12-Jan-08 16:44:26

Soph - really don't bother - enjoy being 35!

webcrone Sat 12-Jan-08 16:41:15

I'm loving crones! 'tis the mythological cycle - maiden, mother, crone or bud, blossom, fruit grin

sophable Sat 12-Jan-08 16:39:07

beet, i'm 35 and i feel like i should start thinknig about this now!

Beetroot Sat 12-Jan-08 16:37:33

Twig - what book have you bought - are they on this thread??

Beetroot Sat 12-Jan-08 16:31:17

as I am 45 on Friday perhaps I ought to start thinking about this - although after reading the dearest article I now want to hide my head under a pillow and cry

Bink Sat 12-Jan-08 16:17:46

can't we reclaim crones?
might be a tough one

well, cronies then. Which is always a term I've liked.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 12-Jan-08 16:05:52

I'm 45 in September. My eyesight went pear-shaped at 16 which coincidentally was another hormone laden period in life. hmm

I'm not liking crones Bink.

motherinferior Sat 12-Jan-08 15:59:12

Bink, all eyes do fally-aparty things after 40. Interesting and depressing things, eyes.

Bink Sat 12-Jan-08 15:52:17

Hey guys (or, no doubt, that should be CRONES)

I am 45.

So there. Funnily enough, it's my eyes that are doing fall-aparty things too. Otherwise, dh brightly remarked, without engaging his brain (well, he's 46, you have to make allowances) the other day that my hands were looking old. (Luckily this does not bother me.)

motherinferior Sat 12-Jan-08 15:10:42

Work-wise. In the hope this will constitute Preparation.

I am going to be 45 in June, you know. Although actually I don't agree that Everything Falls Apart After 40. My eyes are definitely doing fally-aparty things, but the rest seems to be holding out OK.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 12-Jan-08 15:03:48

Falling apart. Bugger finishing sentences I can't even cope with words.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 12-Jan-08 15:02:54

Is that do something about it work-wise MI?Or do something about the actual menopause because if it's the actual menopause then I doubt there's much you can do. Bar top yourself when you hit 45. <saggar counts the days>

God my hip is giving me jip today. I am fallin apart. Seriously.

motherinferior Sat 12-Jan-08 13:06:58

But one does gather that he yes not unacquainted with Dorothy. Or indeed Kylie.

Must definitely do something on this. Menopause, not Mr Rickman.

Bink Sat 12-Jan-08 13:03:12

Squiff, I do not at all want detail on preferences ... imagine if you got the wrong answer. Just imagine. No, don't.

Earthymama Sat 12-Jan-08 09:28:57

First re Alan Rickman; I bumped into him in the street in Stratford, wearing the MOST dashing army greatcoat, and being an ACTOR, when he was there with, if memory serves, Harriet Walter, Juliet Stevenson, Fiona Shaw...another year Kenneth Branagh and Brian Blessed were having a chat when I stopped and said to BB, Oh Hi! How are you? I've not seen you for ages!...he agreed....asked I was doing......I thought I knew him in RL, suddenly realised, went purple and rushed off!!

Now, why can I remember all that as though it was yesterday? When it WAS yesterday, ie Friday 11/01/08, I spent the entire day having to retrace my steps, back to the kitchen or upstairs, to work out what the hell I was doing?

And last night DNeice was in crisis re essay on Marxism and the law and rang to ask for help! HELP! I can barely string two sentences together!

Anyway, why did I want this thread; goes to kitchen...bathroom...looks in mirror AAARGH!

Any recommendations for a skin cream that does 'lifting and tightening'? After shingles and stress, my ability to bounce back has hit my face?

I can treat myself so would appreciate any advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now