How do you get signal in a basement flat?

(6 Posts)
oxcat1 Wed 21-Sep-16 23:09:02

I am moving tomorrow (aaaggghhhh!) and when I popped round with the agent, I noticed that there was absolutely no phone signal on my mobile. I have an iPhone on Giffgaff, but my friends (samsungs on Vodafone and EE) had nothing either.

How do i get a signal worth having in a lower ground floor flat? I currently have broadband with EE (on a very old and very cheap package, which they have said I can't move hmm), and my mobile is with Giffgaff but scarcely used for calls, and normally not much mobile data as I am generally at home, or sending free texts.

I don't need a landline, nor anything fancy. I just want to be able t access the Internet with my iPad, and receive signal on my mobile. What can I do? I don't even know what I should be googling for.....?

FarsleyLass Thu 22-Sep-16 23:50:24

Ask giffgaff for advice, their forums are very good as well. Btw giffgaff use the o2 network.

GardenGeek Fri 23-Sep-16 00:03:51

Ahhh its a shitter.
I just moved from a basement flat.

There is no solution... except leave phone on sill right next to window to receive signal for calls/ texts but its impossible to have a conversation when its breaking up and with your phone stuck to a window.

You have to go outside or get a landline and ask people to call you back (as its very expensive if you are prone to accidentally having 62 minute phone calls- as even on inclusive packages you have to hang up before 60 minutes).

If you can get your internet sorted you can then use skype/ video calling instead if you want.

Don't worry your friends will understand and work around it with you (mine never minded calling back)

timeforsomethingnewithink Fri 23-Sep-16 00:04:32

You will probably struggle to get signal with any provider. I would get broadband and a mobile contract that allows wifi calling. http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/setting-up-wifi-calling-on-your-iphone That was you can still make and receive calls on your mobile in the flat.

Redorangeyellowgreenblue Fri 23-Sep-16 00:08:47

O2 have an app called TuGo which takes calls and texts when you have no phone signal. Might be worth seeing if your network have a similar app xx

Redorangeyellowgreenblue Fri 23-Sep-16 00:14:20

I haven't got o2 so can't help anymore about the app tho smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now