Driving test

(39 Posts)
user1471522161 Wed 07-Sep-16 09:47:43

I have my third test in 3 weeks and I already feel ill with nerves.

First test I failed with 6 minors and one serious for giving way to traffic when I shouldnt have, second test I failed with 2 minors and 1 serious for nearly going down a one way street (oops) because I panicked.

This next test is my last chance before I move to America for a year. If I don't pass i'll have to do my lessons all over again when I come home as well as my theory as it will run out while i'm away. Been having lessons for close to a year now (first test in February, second in May as test waiting times are so long).

Does anyone else feel like they will never pass? I just can't see it ever happening and its so disheartening failing isn't it? can't wait until this is all over!

If I fail the end of this month i'm thinking of trying to do a residential crash course before I go away (beginning of Nov), has anyone ever done one of these?

user1471522161 Wed 07-Sep-16 22:35:54

To top it off just been out driving for the first time in about a month and it was awful!! I'm not destined to drive :')

Pinklemonade16 Thu 15-Sep-16 11:08:00

I have my second driving test today. I'm not as nervous as the first time but still not very confident. I can't afford to fail again as its too much money in spending on more tests and lessons hmm I've never found it easy to drive and have nearly been having lessons a year aswell.!! Have u done your test yet?

user1471522161 Thu 22-Sep-16 23:00:23

Hey how did it go? My test is a week today, been takimg kalms for about a week already!!

donajimena Thu 22-Sep-16 23:03:42

Fuck Kalms you need beta blockers big time. Ask your GP asap. I would never have passed without those babies and have had 15 years trouble free motoring since. Google beta blockers and driving.

donajimena Thu 22-Sep-16 23:05:41

Fwiw I took 5 tests.. I wish someone had told me about beta blockers. My fifth test was a breeze...

BackforGood Thu 22-Sep-16 23:12:28

To top it off just been out driving for the first time in about a month and it was awful

Well - it's likely to be if you've not been out for a month at a stage when you are still learning. What are you thinking of ? confused
Surely in the run up to your test - especially knowing you aren't a 'natural' - you would be getting as much practice in as possible to ensure you pass this time and don't have to spend all the extra money on rebooking the test and the instructors car and all the prep lessons for next time.

Pinklemonade16 Fri 23-Sep-16 08:47:33

I failed again..!! Got my 3rd test next Wednesday and please god it's my last can't do this for much longer. I was so close though just messed up my hill start..! I'm confident this time though where I haven't been before. I've been thinking about taking kalms rescue remedy etc. Beta blockers seem a bit extreme?

user1471522161 Fri 23-Sep-16 10:12:14

Back for good-I was abroad for a month with university...not really anything that could be helped. Also i've been out driving 5 times a week for the past month and have several lessons before my next test.

Sorry to hear that pinklemonade! Its awful failing isnt it. I've been taking Kalms before lessons to see how they work and they seem to be calming me down a bit. I can drive for 3 hours with my instructor without making a single mistake but can't stay calm for 40 minutes in a test!! Fingers crossed its third time lucky for both of us smile

user1470043860 Fri 23-Sep-16 10:13:39

It took me 3 goes. Just go with the flow - you can do it!

youvegottobekidding Tue 27-Sep-16 17:25:53

I failed my 2nd test yesterday sad . Failed first because i screwed up the reverse around left corner UPHILL and yesterday because my parallel park wasn't close enough to the curb and i exited a roundabout in the right lane and continued in it.

So I'm going through all the emotions at the moment - should i just give up. I'm learning in an auto ffs it should've clicked by now! I'm just useless at manoeuvres. I can sense my instructor is a little frustrated, i must be one of her longest running clients!

Good luck to those with tests coming up - be positive!

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 27-Sep-16 17:30:31

pink, you need to make sure there are 20 working days between tests or the examiner won't let it go ahead, it's the minimum the DVLA insist on to allow time to work on areas failed on. Good luck all, I was where you are earlier this year, you can do it!

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 27-Sep-16 17:32:49

from gov website

EBearhug Tue 27-Sep-16 17:35:53

I was on beta blockers when passed my test on the fourth attempt. God, it was a relief to get it out of the way.

youvegottobekidding Tue 27-Sep-16 19:59:03

Pink, I messed my hill start too yesterday on test, but it was marked as a minor under control. I did it perfect the week before, bloody Sod's law isn't it! I just want someone else to take the damn test for me, if only I had a twin! 😁

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 27-Sep-16 22:01:04

Bloody fat fingers! it's 10 not 20, sorry! Hill starts are horrible, luckily I didn't have one in my test but had to do one a few weeks ago and was bricking it 😂

Pinklemonade16 Wed 28-Sep-16 06:25:41

Aww sorry about that kidding was it a failed test then? I got mine today at 8.20 early one fingers and toes crossed xxxxx

youvegottobekidding Wed 28-Sep-16 10:19:22

Yeah it was a fail, but not because of the hill start. Have you passed Pink?

pictish Wed 28-Sep-16 10:24:49

Just keep going everyone!!

It took me five goes. Five! I was a nervous wreck about my driving tests and I took each fail personally, like it was some sort of indication that I just shouldn't drive. God it made me miserable.

But! I spent a fooooortune learning to drive and I simply could not let all that time and money go down the drain. I kept on until I passed. Been driving two years now - best thing I ever did. It's like second nature to me now. If I can do it so can you.

Queenbean Wed 28-Sep-16 10:27:30

I passed first time recently and I put it solely down to the MN wisdom of having two paracetamol and a banana before the test!

Good luck all!

Pinklemonade16 Wed 28-Sep-16 11:42:55

Failed again 3rd time now sad also getting to the point where I'm thinking I was never meant to be a driver. I know I can do it it's just like I go to pot on the test sooooo annoying

user1471522161 Wed 28-Sep-16 11:49:54

Oh no pink what did you fail on? sad its an awful feeling.

I have my third tomorrow & tbh i've been a nervous wreck for weeks but the last few days the nerves have gone! I think its because I just feel like i'm going to fail anyway so I don't see the point in getting myself worked up about it!

Hope I do pass though otherwise its over a year before I can try again & will have to do my theory again x

Pinklemonade16 Wed 28-Sep-16 12:23:09

Reversing round a corner AGAIN joke is I done it perfectly half hour before while practicing. I refuse to give up but at the same time have had enough angry it's a horrible feeling I can only amagine how amazing passing would be hmm

Pinklemonade16 Wed 28-Sep-16 12:23:31

Good luck for tomorrow and why a year?

user1471522161 Wed 28-Sep-16 12:54:15

Reversing round a corner is the devil!! I always go too wide sad definitely don't give up you will always wonder whether you would have passed the next one!

I can't even imagine what it would feel like to pass, feel like it will never happen!

Thank you, and I move away in 5 weeks to America for a year!! Pressure

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now