there is a giant cockroach loose in my kids' bedroom

(45 Posts)
sunnywong Thu 25-Jan-07 14:50:26

I was lying in bed with just the laptop for light and I thought I heard and saw an empty crisp packet rustle and float to the foot of the bed. Just my imagination
Then I saw a fricking beat the size of a bourbon biscuit with antennae 4 inches long sitting next to me.
I screamed and leaped out of bed, called for dh, and it flew in to the kids' room under the bunk bed. We can hardly spray Mortein over our sleeping angels and the bloody thing won't come out to be beaten with a rolled up newspaper, although it was such a glossy robust specimen I think it would need beating with an axe handle.
It's the heat. Makes them very social.
Feck.

wurlywurly Fri 26-Jan-07 17:47:03

OMG shouldnt have read this thread, cockroaches make me physically sick {retching emoticon}

With lure and kill the big buggers make it back home and kill everyone else. But the odd medium size one doesn't make it home and dies on the floor.

It's fab stuff though. The flights to the South Pacific always get there late at night, so I carry my own bottle. We got a room in Samoa that obviously hadn't been used for a while and it was the night from hell - never again.

Hallgerda Fri 26-Jan-07 09:51:30

Some classifications put cockroaches in their own order, Blattodea or Blattaria (can't do italics - sorry!); others lump them in with mantids in an order called Dictyoptera. They're different from beetles (order Coleoptera) in that they undergo incomplete metamorphosis (egg - nymph - adult) rather than complete metamorphosis (egg - larva - pupa - adult).

According to Wikipedia, it's a myth about the cockroaches inheriting the earth in the event of a nuclear disaster - true, they stand more chance than we do, but fruitflies have greater radiation resistance.

sunnywong Fri 26-Jan-07 09:35:16

oh hallgerda thanks for that, I like the idea but am a chavtastic instant drinker

Are they not beetles then what manner of hell spawn are they?

Hallgerda Fri 26-Jan-07 09:32:57

Sorry, but I'm on entomological pedantry duty today and am obliged to point out that cockroaches aren't beetles.

Yes, I know that's a little unhelpful, but perhaps this cockroach trap for ponces may be useful to you.

eidsvold Fri 26-Jan-07 09:20:24

lure and kill baits - they are the ones we have - they take the poison back to the nest and kill the others.... you may see the odd dead one around but will not have your floor covered in them iyswim

flying cockroaches - just as gross.... the dds have a gecko in their room - have left the window open for him/her to escape but not sure if they took the hint.

sunnywong Fri 26-Jan-07 08:57:55

DH has been out to get the Lure and Kill.

Do they eat the bait then piss off to die or do you wake up with a mound of dead beetles?

You need lure and kill Mortein. Though it is scary seeing all the dead little buggers and realising how many you are sharing your house with!

ediemay Fri 26-Jan-07 01:23:24

AAAARRRGGHHH have been half laughing/half heaving reading this. Childhood memories of African roaches. Check your ears!!!

sunnywong Fri 26-Jan-07 00:43:45

well it's the morning now and no more was heard of it in the night. Although I do have a very small crunchy stick wedged between my teeth...

Hillary Thu 25-Jan-07 21:04:00

You cant drown the Fukrs ether, they live through anything, and they're like rats if you have one....Oh i need to go bleach the kitchen, its like if someone said the word nits, Yep your scratching!

I'v heard they spread typhoid too, I'd pick the babies up right now take them to your parents and fumigate.

lunavix Thu 25-Jan-07 21:03:47

sw - I remember all too clear walking down murray street in perth at 9pm, with them just running out bold as anything.

And where I used to live south of the river... URGH

NurseyJo Thu 25-Jan-07 20:59:59

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our [[http://www.mumsnet.com/info/netiquette Talk Guidelines]]. Replies may also be deleted.

Califrau Thu 25-Jan-07 20:53:06

I have heard squashing them is a nono too. trap it under something and take it farfaraway or get something to poison the bastard. grrr. I met my 1st one in Italy when I was outthere living with DH. He didnt believe me the 1st 3 times and then squealed like a girl the 1sttime he saw it. we flicked it off our balconty into the horrid downstairs neighbour's garden.

Hillary Thu 25-Jan-07 20:48:10

goosebumps ...... we had them in our appartment in Greece on holiday once, the manager told us not to squash them as the eggs come out and in the morning you'l have thousands..........YUCK!

I'd run away.................FAST

tirnanog Thu 25-Jan-07 20:47:27

stamp on it!

beansprout Thu 25-Jan-07 20:45:00

OMG, I feel sick and I am in the northern hemisphere. I'm a veggie but you really must kill the little b*stard, NOW!!

foxinsocks Thu 25-Jan-07 20:41:22

you need a tennis racket or bat to smash it when it comes out - cockroaches are just horrible things and they are so hard to squash when they get big. Yuuuck.

thank your lucky stars you don't get these - I used to lie in bed with a tennis racket because they are like cockroaches but they jump right at you and you have to bat them away <shudder>

tenbygirl Thu 25-Jan-07 20:36:45

I lived in Thailand years ago - woke up one night thinking I could feel something on my back. Lept out of bed and banged the light off as this thing fell off and hit the floor - massive cockroach that I beat to death with a snorkel.

suedonim Thu 25-Jan-07 17:40:56

Sh*t, that's bad! We get whoppers here as well, b@st@rd creatures. I have an old margarine type pot that I put over them and then I weight it down with saucepans and tins until dh comes home. I hate the f*ckers. And please, please, please don't tell me they fly. It surely isn't true???

SSShakeTheChi Thu 25-Jan-07 15:30:51

The good thing about this thread is that I no longer feel like eating a 4th piece of carrot cake...

Budababe Thu 25-Jan-07 15:29:44

Euuuuugh!

First house we lived in in Bangkok had loads of cockroaches the first night we were in it as the previous tenants had never had is sprayed. We had it sprayed pdq I can tell you!

Anyway - had a maid, as you do as an expat in Asia. Had a downstairs loo with a white tiled floor. Maid kept finding cockroaches in the loo so she got the gardener (employed by owner of house) to put poison down the drain and block the outside.

When she went into the loo next morning she couldn't see the floor.

Thankfully I wasn't there to witness it!

SSShakeTheChi Thu 25-Jan-07 15:14:41

oh that's mega disgusting...

Baked an apple pie and left it on the rack to cool (Sydney) turned around and it was an apple and cockroach pie

aDad Thu 25-Jan-07 15:13:06

<shudder>

hate those things.

Stayed in a damp basement hotel in livingston, guatemala and after 3 nights made the mistake of lifting our mattress.

Cockroaches in every corner of the bedframe. Horrible!

Greensleeves Thu 25-Jan-07 15:05:11

my dad used to flip them over and hit them with a hammer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now