I am so stupid to have paid these Harrods prices!

(14 Posts)
StickyFloor Sat 04-Jun-16 22:21:12

Decided to pop in and buy myself some treats today and got a huge shock!

Bakery was incredibly reasonable, a savoury and sweet pastry for my lunch later were £3 each and gorgeous.

Box of chocs from The Neuhaus counter was £30 for 18 pieces which is a lot but I expected it and they are a gift anyway.

Then I saw the William Curley counter and bought 6 standard Medjool dates stuffed with marzipan and 3 marzipan discs the size of the inside of a toilet roll, coated in chocolate ........ and the cost was £31.50! I mean how can they charge £3.50 for one date stuffed in marzipan? I checked the receipt and it was correct, it is £3.50 per piece!

I should have said I had changed my mind but I didn't, and now I can't bring myself to eat them.

I know it's Harrods and there is lots of over the top stuff obviously, but one date for £3.50 ?????? I am still in shock. Mostly at myself for actually paying it!

Bolingbroke Sat 04-Jun-16 22:26:53

We've all done it. Maybe save them up for a treat?

dlwelly Sat 04-Jun-16 22:32:23

I remember paying £10 for a bag of chocolate covered strawberries. It worked out as £2.50 a strawberry!

I'm sure that's why they tasted so good.

StickyFloor Sat 04-Jun-16 22:36:46

I hope they taste really really really good.

Doinmummy Sat 04-Jun-16 22:37:08

YABU for liking dates and marzipan !

Kimononono Sat 04-Jun-16 22:38:56

I did that in selfridges msny moons ago. I was skint for a week after it.

Eat them and blood well enjoy them!

RaeSkywalker Sat 04-Jun-16 22:39:01

Urgh, why are they sullying perfectly good dates with marzipan? <misses point>

Sunnsoo Sat 04-Jun-16 22:47:40

Yabu

Harrods sell foie gras and fur. Don't support them.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 04-Jun-16 22:48:49

Enjoy them !!

HRHlikeahornyponywould Sat 04-Jun-16 22:54:41

I remember as a teenager, around about 1990, I bought a donut for 50p.

I remember thinking that was expensive then.

Enjoy them.

My special treat to myself used to be, to buy some food from the counters in selfridges to eat on the train on the way home. It was about £12
And a St. John's brownie.

They don't seem to do them anymore

Babbas Sat 04-Jun-16 22:59:51

When we moved into a posh area the fishmonger cake to the door. Like my neighbours I too decided to buy and closer a piece of salmon from his tray assuming they'd be normal price. No prices were mentioned until I got my purse out. £24.00!! For 2 small fillets. I was so distressed I stuffed them in the freezer. Then binned them a year later as I'd forgotten to cook them.

StickyFloor Sat 04-Jun-16 23:01:02

I might make it a monthly treat but in future I will ask the price before I buy.

BTW there were protesters outside handing out leaflets to boycott the store because they sell fur.

Mommym24 Tue 19-Jul-16 06:58:39

Eat them before they go stale else that would be a waste chocolate

BarbaraofSeville Tue 19-Jul-16 07:20:49

I always assume that if its a posh place and there are no prices, it is likely to be stupidly expensive.

Not as bad as some of the examples on this thread but I think mine was having the tuna off the specials board in a beach shack in Spain where all the other mains were 5 - 10 euro. I think the tuna was 19 euro. It was nice, but if I'd have known, I would probably have just had the squid for less than half the price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now