Any of you play two balls up a wall?

(42 Posts)
Enchanted Fri 17-May-02 21:21:44

I used to love playing two balls against the wall. I can remember being at school and there being a long line of about 30 girls playing two balls against the sports hall wall, what fun!
Today I was showing a couple of little girls who live in my building how to play and they were amazed, they loved it! I was trying to remember some of the songs and rhymes that went with it. The one I can remember go's like this....Plainy Walls ice cream, over Walls ice cream, uppsy Walls ice cream and so on. I am sure these games are regional (maybe not).I am from Merseyside. Does anyone remember any other songs to play two balls to. I felt a bit sad today that this dear old game seems to have died out. Lol, all the Mum's came out and to the suprise of the kids, they could all play two balls!

Teluwot Thu 14-Aug-14 22:57:17

Yes. A bit late but I recall the 2 ball rhyme. 'Each peach pear plum.' I spy Tom Thumb. Tom Thumb in the cellar, I spy Cinderella. Cinderella at the ball, I spy Henry Hall. Henry Hall is a star. S.T.A.R.'
Of course today Henry Hall would be replaced with a modern day star, but you'd have to fit in George Clooney or someone. But I want to teach my granddaughters the art of 2 ball! And Cat's cradle/string tricks and more.

juliemu Fri 27-Sep-13 07:48:40

does anyone remember the rest of the song "each peach pear plum" ?

so many many memories, we used to play for hours. just two balls four friends and a shed wall, how times have changed.Now it is a laptop,headphones with mike and a virtual world called minecraft!

juliemu Fri 27-Sep-13 07:42:59

does anyone remember the rest of each peach pear plum ?

Monty27 Sun 01-Sep-13 02:22:22

Yay, used to play it all day. Happy memories smile

ClartyCarol Sun 01-Sep-13 02:01:15

NE childhood here and we did Two Bally (as we called it) ), I showed my dc a few weeks ago and they were shock at my prowess! We also did French skipping, normal skipping "Not last night but the night before, twenty four robbers came knocking at my door..." , Double Dutch, jacks and clapping games "I went to a Chinese restaurant, to buy a loaf of bread, bread, bread...". Wish I could remember them all properly.

Chottie Sun 01-Sep-13 01:47:15

I played two balls in south London fifty years ago. I also played French skipping, jacks and crabs (?) which was a game played with little artificial knuckle bones which you had to catch on the back of your hands.

Slainte Fri 30-Aug-13 20:26:07

Shotgun in Ireland, we used to sing 1, 2, 3 O'Leary, 4, 5, 6 O'Leary etc.

Scrapy Fri 30-Aug-13 11:47:51

I remember when I was about 7 and upwards playing 2 baller on our house with my sister we played for hours.
One of the rhymes went, Have a cigarette sir no sir why sir because I've got a cold sir where did you get the cold from, from the northern pole sir what were you doing there sir catching polar bears sir how many did you catch sir one two three sir very good indeed sir.

Jowheat Sun 14-Jul-13 17:45:40

I played two ball at school in the 60's in Wiltshire where it was very popular.
In this lovely weather I thought I'd get my son to have a go - hopeless!
I think we did have songs to play to, but none on here ring a bell.
I remember we did plainsys, upsies, oversies, undersies (throw under a raised leg) and slabsies (ball hits floor then wall).
Also did a lot of French skipping with elastic around our legs - started at ankle height, knees, waist, armpits, then neck!!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 24-Jun-13 22:24:44

Oh I remember rubob-bob!
I'm also from Liverpool. Used to play two balls for hours, also remember knockers (didn't they get re-branded as clackers made of inferior lightweight plastic?)
Also remember upsy, dropsy, bouncy etc but we had a move called 'alera' (sp?) - think it's what someone here called 'other' - where you bounce the ball under one cocked leg.
I remember my friend always lifted her foot on splitzy angry.
And 'one two three alera, four five six alera,' etc.

Also endless handstands against the wall and spinning each other round and round the bike shed poles, head underneath the person's underarms, then letting go so the person holding the pole carried on spinning until they got to the bottom. From the age of seven. Some kids span off with nasty consequences.

I tried to teach DD when she was eight or nine but we have rough rendering on our house so it was a non-starter. Wonder if it's too late now she's 15? smile

sandypandy1234 Mon 24-Jun-13 22:07:55

were you going bob, down the road bob, what for bob a stick of rubob can I come bob no bob why bob cos you don't like rubob.this is one of the songs we use to sing playing two balls good times

ScumbagCollegeDropout Wed 29-May-13 04:06:26

Am I the only one who, upon reading the title, thought this was about sex postions?

I'll get my coat...

smithsrule5 Wed 29-May-13 03:56:42

I was just teaching my daughter age 10 how to play 2 balls. I live in America and i am originally from liverpool. She told me she was bored!!!!! so out came the 2 balls. I remember the plainy walls of ice cream game and plainy mother brown, plainy mother brown, plainy plainy plainy plainy plainy mother brown...... etc. I can't remember any other songs and it is killing me. Any one else remember?? confused

flamingojo Sun 31-Mar-13 17:29:28

I loved two balls. The song I remember is 'one, two, three and plainsy, four five, six and plainsy, seven, eight, nine and plainsy, ten and plainsy, drop the ball. And finish on dropping the ball and catching it. Then it is One, two three and dropsy, etc etc. On to upsy, downsy, roundsy. Then we would try to do it one handed! If you went wrong it was your friend's go, or if you were playing alone you had to start from the beginning again. French skipping was great fun but banned at our junior school after someone broke their arm! Also, knockers was great (2 heavy ping-pong sized balls on string joined at the top that you had to bounce off each other) - that was also banned as too dangerous as well!
The all on a string attached to a hoop around your other ankle was fun, but another hazardous game. Dont see any of them now - Health and Safety would have a fit!

TillyMilly Mon 11-Jun-12 23:25:17

Found this topic after being asked about games I played as a little girl.
I can't remember the songs very well either - 'One, two, three and plainsy, four, five six, and plainsy' up to ten was one but can't remember just how it ended. Overs, dropsy and unders were the next parts and you had to start all over again if you dropped a ball
French skipping kept us amused for hours too. We played it ankle, knee, bottom, waist high as well.
I remember the perils of pebble-dash too and my Mum getting fed-up with the noise on the kitchen wall.
Thanks for sharing the memories and, yes, such a shame that they're not around now. I grew up in Essex and learned the games from my Mum who came from London so it was played down south too.

clangermum Wed 02-Nov-11 18:51:44

I remember a two balls move - sausage then sandwich (was that under left leg then under right leg?)

Rosa Mon 31-Oct-11 16:47:33

French elastic- , jump , jump , middle out twist and off- Ankles knees hips and waist height.
I can remember raiding mums sewing box for elastic and pleadings he bought more - wool snapped and string was too hard.
Used to use 2 chairs when practicing at home.
Diddn't do 2 balls but one with the 7 throws, 6 drops, 5 under leg... Agree played for hours and hours.... BUt then we diddn't have Nitendo Ds and suchlike !

Rochey41 Mon 31-Oct-11 16:34:31

I also remember getting elastic bands from the postman as many as you could get tieing them together two people would stand inside them stretching it out and you would jump somehow in and out.... two four six eight Mary's at the garden gate eating cherries off a plate two four six eight

Rochey41 Mon 31-Oct-11 16:29:21

plainy, over, upsy, dropsy, bouncy,leggy, other,splitzy, backy and then without stopping go backwards backy again and so on......

Rochey41 Mon 31-Oct-11 16:23:05

There were quite a few, the only one I remember all the way through is Winnie the Witch fell down the ditch ha, ha, ha, she found a penny and thought she was rich ha, ha, ha. Hope that helps...by the way I do think it's only a regional thing cos' I'm from Liverpool and my mother in law has never heard of it, she's from London, neither has her daughter, they thought I was being rude when I asked "did you ever played two balls". You can imagine their faces, It was only my sencond or third visit to their house too. x

frankenonsense Sat 12-Mar-11 17:25:59

Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, let your neighbour carry on...

Plainy, clappy, Rolls-a-pin, a backy....

ChrissyHynde Sat 12-Mar-11 16:50:33

janh

Think thats what I'm thinking about. Got the tune in my head but cant remember any words except ".....and start again"

Long time ago for me as well!!

moraira Sat 12-Mar-11 16:42:47

I know nothing has been posted about this subject for awhile. I recently went to spain and some Spanish girls where playing chinese ropes on the beach. elastice bands joined together put around the ankles of two people and the others jumped in between. I had totally forgot about playing it when I was a child. Which lead me to thinking of other games I played

ie Two balls, footsy (hoop around your ankle with a ball attached the tight with the ball in it against the wall and kirby throwing a ball at the opposite kirb. Also k knockers two hard balls attached to stings (I think they were banned in the end as wrists were being broken).

Thinking of these lead me to this website as I want to teach my little girl two balls but couldn't remember the songs. It has been such a trip down memory lane reading all these postings and really made me laugh and smile Thank you

jambuttie Fri 11-May-07 10:04:12

I loved this game too

can;t remember the songs to go with them though .

Remember playing elastics too

Lolly68 Fri 11-May-07 09:29:03

I use to love two balls although my parents hated it on a Sunday morn when I use to play in the garden up against the wall! One of the songs I remember is:

Please keep off the grass sir
to let the lady pass sir
you know the rules in all the schools
so please keep off the grass sir.

Dont know what the hell it means!!

Also I do remember french elastic... it was called French skipping!!

Oh to be young again...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now